“Saving the best for last”

Makati Shangri-La Manila
Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed February 11, 2013

There are 3 hotels on my company's preferred list for Manila and this is the 3rd one I've stayed in. Oh how I wish this had been the 1st!

Having pre-arranged airport pickup (yes an airport taxi would have been a lot cheaper) my journey from customs to hotel room was so seamless as to make the added expense worthwhile. The driver was probably the best driver I've had in Manila, almost to the point of me not realising I was back in Manila's crazy traffic. Wifi, bottled water, hot towel - what more could someone want in the 20 minute journey from airport to hotel? I know what - a discreet call from the driver to alert the hotel to my imminent arrival so I was met at the car door and escorted straight to my room, checking in via their ipad.

The room was comfortable, with lots of circles and curves making it a welcome change from the usual boxy layouts of hotel rooms. Compared to the other hotels I've stayed in here it was in very good condition, well lit and with contemporary artwork. The bed was comfortable, so much so that I got a good night's sleep on my first night.
The bathroom had a separate bath and shower, the latter being very spacious.

I was impressed by the variety of options available on room service, something I often struggle with. The food delivered was good even if mixed vegetable and seafood tempura = 8 prawns + 1 mushroom. This is the Philippines - get used to the lack of vegetables.
Breakfast in Circles was all that I had anticipated and more. There were choices reflecting all sorts of different breakfasting habits, healthy and otherwise.

I met colleagues for a drink in the outdoor section of Conways. This would be a great place to relax but for the incessant noise of Manila traffic in rush hour. Don't let that put you off though, you can soon blank it out.

All the staff I encountered were exceptional. They seem to have struck the right balance between efficiency, service and friendliness without overdoing that last point.

Altogether, if I need a hotel in Manila again, this will be my first choice by a long shot.

Room Tip: I had an executive room. I didn't hear any noises, there are no good views in Makati so not muc...
1  Thank skatexplorer
Write a ReviewReviews (2,810)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This review may not be relevant to everyone -I work the overnights when traveling to Manila and always look to get some rest during the day - the Shang provides a little home away from home.

What I love:
- Great morning buffet at Circles after a long night at the office
- Superior Service, staff is friendly happy to assist for any need
- Great bathrooms in all rooms (that I've stayed in)
- The premise is beautiful and often a dignitary or two will be seen walking through on a red carpet
- Day discounts for the spa (for those of us that work nights - this is simply fabulous)
- Do not disturb doorbell lights to alert housekeeping of us nightworkers who sleep in the day

Small challenges or why I did not give a full "5" stars.
- Room costs are sometimes very high
- It can be hard to get a reservation without several week's notice
- On at least one trip I had noisy daytime traffic outside making it difficult to sleep during the day - housekeeping did not observe the 'do not disturb' light outisde my door upsetting my sleep

Leave tips for housekeeping - this will improve your stay..

Room Tip: Ask for the web rate - or a rate that includes the breakfast buffet some rates also include airpor...
1  Thank Hello1234578
Reviewed February 7, 2013

A tower of efficiency and courtesySimply perfect
I have never found a breakfast offer so wide , from all type of asian traditions till French balery passing for japanese fish
On top at just few steps from green belt

Room Tip: Stay far from the lift.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Can't say enough about this hotel, I think the price may have been the only downside, however my work paid so even that didn't matter much.

I experienced great service from staff in all area's of the hotel. While a couple struggled a little for English, they were very eager to please and did not detract from the stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Got the chance to go back to Makati Shangri-La after 10 years or so.
I must say the hotel is very well maintained.
Warm reception of guests when you enter the hotel.
Staff always greet and smile at all guests.
Comfortable room - traditional design & layout with nothing fanciful. But you have all you need.
Definitely recommended for business travelers like myself.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel faces the morning sun while the back faces the setting sun. Depending on pref...
6  Thank VictorLME
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this Hotel last year and booked again for a business trip. The service was exceptional and the room was spacious, clean and lovely. It's located in the heart of shopping and food. Truly amazing hospitality and service!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Shangrila hotels are among my favorites. Makati Shangrila is a great hotel in terms of service, location, event venue, breakfast. I just noticed one thing, in our room the lower portion of the marble wall of the shower cubicle has molds and mildew. Good thing the flooring is rough, otherwise it can be slippery. I didn't get the chance to call the housekeeping because I was in a hurry. I was late for my appointment. I hope Shngrila Makati will take note of this review. It's perfect hotel to stay actually. Mine is just a friendly reminder.