“They totally get it right”

Makati Shangri-La Manila
Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels in Makati
London, United Kingdom
“They totally get it right”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I was in Manila on business for 2 days, and was expecting nothing specific from my stay at this hotel. Well, it turned out to be the best one I did in south east Asia this year. The service is impeccable, people actually truly help you, instead of giving you the usual mechanical smile and courtesy welcome. The location is very close to the airport, and the food at the buffet is excellent. I will stay there again.

2 Thank Frankieandcharl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sharon MA, USA
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I stayed here during an extended business trip to Manila. I experienced excellent service in almost all interactions.

The best -- on a par with any other 5 star hotel anywhere else in the world -- friendly, helpful, efficient, speak/understand English clearly
* front desk staff
* transportation staff -- I used their car service every day to/from the office as well as on weekends for outings
* roving customer service staff (identified by their distinctive floor length versions of the standard women's uniform)
* laundry
* room cleaners

I have 1 annoying experience that leads me to lower the review from a 5 to a 4 star. I had breakfast every day in the Circles restaurant. I'm a tea drinker -- it seems that at least some of the staff in the restaurant don't really "get" tea. Examples
* when I requested tea, they would bring a pot of tea and try to immediately pour it into my cup -- each time I stopped them telling that the tea needs to steep for a couple of minutes before it can be poured
* the pots they use are quite large -- holding approx 20 oz of tea. They put in 1 teabag per pot. After I finished one pot I asked for another pot of tea. Several times I found that they had simply refilled the pot with water and not put in a fresh teabag.
* one time they brought me "fresh" teapot with lukewarm water.
In each case I politely explained to the staff that what I wanted was a fresh pot of tea -- with hot water and a new teabag. I managed to get what I wanted each time. The complaint is that a place so committed to excellence should better train their staff in how to properly serve tea.

One other issue is noise:
* the local government seems to constantly repair the streets and sidewalks outside the hotel. This involves jackhammering at all hours of the day and night. A couple of times this disturbed my sleep
* some sort of loud banging occurred one night in a nearby room -- I'm guessing some urgent maintenance must have required this -- this woke me up once.

2 Thank Shakespeare_fan
Perth
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I cannot remember the last time I had a bad experience at a Shangri-La. The rooms are excellent, service is excellent and the hotel is really nice. I wish I could have stayed a bit longer and availed myself to everything the hotel has to offer. I would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank PerthFrequent_Flyer
Singapore
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Doesn't matter that this hotel scored well on food and conditions of room, what made it really ugly is the dishonest employee who stole my t-shirt from my LOCKED luggage in my room!!! I stayed here for 2 nights and on the day of my check-out, i was shocked to realize that one of my favourite t-shirts is missing from my luggage! I had hung all my other clothes in the closet except for this particular t-shirt because I liked it so much that i thought I'll keep it in my bag locked as extra security. I'm utterly disappointed that this would even happen in this hotel. Who would have believed a t-shirt would be stolen from a locked luggage? I'm still trying to get over it!!! As much as they have tight security checks towards their guests at the lobby area, i think they should first do a search on their own employees! Shame on you Shangri-La! You do not deserve any recommendations! Fellow travellers, please be careful if you decide to stay in this hotel. Do not trust them!

Room Tip: Stay at your own risk!
4 Thank running_sh0es
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Truly a 5 Star Hotel with incredible full-service hospitality and well-appointed guest rooms. The Horizon Lounge level offers guests a daily open bar with gourmet food selections. Plus the Circles Buffet makes any other buffet look average. Location is ideal for a visit to Manila since it is walking distance to all of the local shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BonaCasa
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Makati Shangri-La Manila lives up to its 5 Star Rating. Beautiful rooms, the most helpful staff, and if you book a room that includes the breakfast buffet, you will definitely get the most bang for your buck. The location is in the heart of Manila with the best shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Just ask for whatever room you want, and they will be accommodating if a room you desire is availabl...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank genetorres3
miami fl
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is located in a great part of greater Manila with access to many of the good restaurants.
Rooms are spacious and great beds. The staff is great. I have stayed here many times and I would always return.
They have a great breakfast & sunday brunch

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple