“it was lovely”

New World Makati Hotel
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed December 15, 2010

I've never been to the Philippines before, so the first thing you do at 'nicer' places in manila is go through a metal detector. They had these everywhere in this area, so I was a bit shocked at first, but you get used to it.

I can't really comment on location because we didn't do that much sigh seeing. We went to manila for a wedding, so we only stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. There is a big mall across the street, and additional shopping in the area. There's good food around, but food in the greenbelt mall is expensive. so is the shopping.

The service at the hotel was amazing, everyone is always super nice! We got the package that includes breakfast, and it's totally worth it! One couple out of our group opted out of the breakfast and they only saved 50 peso's a day per person, and the hotel charges around 2000 pesos for the breakfast, so TOTALLY WORTH IT and there's tons of stuff to chose from.

As for the room, the mattress was too soft for my liking... and the room and bathroom needs more lighting (i like rooms to be bright). All in all it was a lovely stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Silly77

Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed her twice in November and could have stayed a year. Along with Traders in Kuala Lumpur, this is the best value 5* accommodation I have experienced.

It is an older style hotel with Style. The lobby is quite majestic in its own way, spacious with a large sweeping stairway connecting the first floor. There's the obligatory security to traverse and then you are greeted by the friendliest of door staff, bedecked in the most delightful classic yellow uniforms and hats. My first and lasting impression was class.

There are customer relations officers everywhere. I'm sure they would have laced my shoe if I had asked them, such is their genuine commitment to service. If you stay here seek out Stevene (with an e); a delightful fellow.

The room and beds were very large and well equipped. The bathroom was excellent. The view over the pool and Makati superb. Clean, comfortable and relaxing high-standard accommodation.

My one and only gripe was having to pay for Internet access in the room. The connection is super fast, but expensive.

The location can't be beaten. Outside the hotel you cross a small road and walk straight through the doors of Greenbelt 3. I will try and explain the mall configuration. The Greenbelt malls basically form a very large quadrangle. They are centred by the most delightful gardens, resplendent with a lake, fountains and sculptured artworks. It really is a delightful spot in a hectic crowded city.

On the second floor there is a walkway and to the right of the hotel it links you through the Landmark Mall and into the Gloretta Mall and then on to the excellent SM Department store. Bring your walking shoes!

If you love shopping and eating and drinking, this is the location. There's nothing 3rd world about this district of Makati, except the prices.

Part of the magic of the New World Hotel is that it is literally placed on the doorstep of this retail, gastronomic and entertainment extravaganza.

If you like quality Thai, the People's Palace is a must. What a great restaurant. The food, ambiance and service is exceptional. To get there just walk out of thee Hotel, cross the roadway, walk through the Greenbelt 3 entrance to the garden area, turn right and its about five premises along. Total walking time from the Hotel 3 minutes!

There are so many good places to eat and the prices would make Singaporean food lovers blush.

Talking about Singapore, you would pay upwards of $350 a night to stay in a hotel the quality of New World Makati. I paid around $120. This is part of the attraction of the Philippines and its such a pity that more Australian's in particular don't put it on their 'must visit' list.

I can't praise this hotel enough. I could mention the live singing acts every evening in the lobby bar area and the breadth of attentiveness of all the staff, the large, clean swimming pool, that after Boracay was a bit too cold for my liking!

I didn't eat at the Hotel given my depleted budget and the array of food venues across the road, including the Havana Bar! I would return here in a heartbeat.

Email me if you would like any further observations.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank JoshAustralia
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I was told I should stay here due to the location to shopping and food. They were right. I stayed here for 5 nights in Nov. There are several high end malls all connected to each other directly across the street. Hotel is typical for an upper end hotel in Asia. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are large and clean. Large LCD TV. I recommend staying on the club floors because the room are a little nicer. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TripMember081820152
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I knew this hotel for a couple of years and was surprosed to learn, that it is not longer a Renaissance one. However we booked it and were not dispappointed. It is the same good one as before. It is ocated next to the Green Belt Shopping Mall where you have everything you need, including open air bars. Malati is in m yopinion hte safest and cleanest part of Manila.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rayu66
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Stayed for two nights to attend a conference/exhibition which were also held at the hotel. No complaints really at all. The bathrooms and some of the bedroom furniture is strating to show its age but these are minor points. I would stay again without hesitation.

The location is excellent with easy access to the airport on the new elevated highway.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank CliffDC
Reviewed November 27, 2010

I originally booked a six-night stay at the Pan Pacific in Manila. What a mistake that turned out to be. Not because of the hotel itself, but because of the surrounding neighborhood. The Pan Pacific fully lived up to its luxurious billing; which would be fine if a guest did not venture beyond its front doors. But unfortunately the PP sits smack-dab in the middle of a really bad section of town. Step outside the lobby door and be besieged by pan-handlers, hustlers, ne'er-do-wells and, worst of all, what appeared to me to be clearly under-aged prostitutes. I felt unsafe walking to the Robinson Mall one block away in broad daylight--and I'm 6 feet tall and routinely bench press 200+ lbs. It is amazing to me how the hotel maintains any business in its current location. Very good hotel (except for the lousy gym) but after two nights of basically being sequestered (imprisoned?) to the hotel property, I cut short my stay and moved to the New World Hotel in Makati City.

Now that's what I'm talking about 'Willis.' Talk about a change in atmosphere; it was like going from purgatory to Nirvana. The NWH is large, modern and user-friendly. It sits in a section of the city that can only be regarded as trendy and tres chic. The hotel itself is beautiful and the surrounding area encourages exploration. It is across the street from the Greenbelt Mall which houses several high-end shops, restaurants and entertainment options.

They voluntarily up-graded me to a one-bedroom suite, which, admittedly, prejudices my review--but not by much. (Note: It is well worth the money to be upgraded to the concierge floor since breakfast and dinner is included. And while dinner is not a full-blown restaurant quantity food, it is delicious and more than enough to satisfy all but the most famished of appetites. Internet access is also free on the concierge floors.).

The suite was great except for the central control system that operated all the lights, and HVAC which was a little too clever by half, and took me a while to master. The concierge that was assigned to me was superb and what few needs I had, he addressed efficiently and expeditiously. I splurged on the buffet in the hotel restaurant one night. It was costly but very good with a nice blend of well-prepared American and Filipino dishes. The gym was very clean and modern with lots of aerobic and weight-training equipment.

My only caveat is not to use the hotel car to travel to and from the airport. Taxis are much cheaper.

Aside from that, enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank tony1200
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Service standard had dropped. Seems like they were overwhelmed by the large number of guests. No turn down service on the first night and on second day, room was still not made up by 130pm. If I did not complain, I wondered if they had forgotten. Pathetic breakfast spread in Club Lounge. Service staff not around and I had to help myself to the coffee machine. The final ordeal was the check out at Club reception. I had to point out their errors TWICE. The staff just printed the bill without checking and initially even insisted that it was correct. They should thank me for pointing out to them on undercharging me.

• Stayed: November 2010