“Surprised”

New World Makati Hotel
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed for a week Nov 13, and was offered the upgrade which, as I was quite tired did not really pay attention to. A friend heard what I had did the next day and said "Look out, that is a per day charge!" Really? Wow, 80usd upgrade for one day? So I had some discussions with the manager and must say he handled it well but I did feel tricked to say the least by the desk staff. As when I checked in I said "really that's all? 3200pesos for one week? And she said yes, then I signed something which I thought was the whole hotels charges for a week, but no that was just for the upgrade which is totally not worth it. New room looks OK at first, but then, it feels cheap, and electrical items are difficult or confusing to use. Air Con is noisy and impossible to see and operate. Bathroom sink is difficult as all the water pours out all over if you try to rinse a shirt or anything. Agree that nobody tested anything. After I downgraded to an old room, it felt of much higher quality, quite air-con, bigger more solid bathroom fittings etc. Also, why is anyone on planet earth charging for internet? Staff got on my nerves "Hello, Good Morning Sir" Over and over and over, its like all they could do was demand my attention. Great location and will go back, but staff needs to back off a bit. Food was great in the lounge the two days I had it, but again too many people fussing about nothing, with a very nervous edge to it. Be careful of rooms on left side over disco, its a late affair boom boom boom.

Room Tip: not over the Disco
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ronald c
Write a ReviewReviews (3,538)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

At first glance, this hotel looks great. The location is first class, right across from Greenbelt 3, and the lobby really looks the part. That's where the great bits stop.

Some of the rest is good, but there are yawning gaps in the service and general facilities.

Check in.
This took at least 15-20 minutes to complete the formalities (no queue), during which time I was "upsold" to a room that was supposedly upgraded, with internet and access to the executive lounge bundled in. I had originally booked a "premier room" with Agoda. After "upselling", I paid an additional US$80 per night on top of over US$200 I had paid already. The "upgraded" room turned out to be one that had been decorated, but NOT upgraded. Furthermore, it was a smaller superior room, which meant I had actually taken a room downgrade. I attach pictures. Complementary Internet access is a requirement for all quality hotels nowadays, so I do not consider that a privelege. On balance, I felt cheated.

Room.
Simply not good enough. I attach photos, but the bathroom had a very "seventies" look to it and the electrical fittings were borderline dangerous. I get the feeling also that nobody from the hotel has actually stayed in these rooms and tested the equipment. For instance, the only round pin power socket is the one in the bathroom, which means, if you want to iron something with the iron provided in the wardrobe, you have to set it up in there.

Staff.
In common with other Makati business hotels, the staff fall over each other to greet you. I am sure they are all very nice people, but I wish they would concentrate on doing a better job, rather than constantly greeting. Far too many staff around, but not really achieving a lot.

Executive Lounge.
I had breakfast and evening snacks/drinks here each day. Breakfast selection is a bit limited and at peak hours the serving staff are overwhelmed. It should not take 25 minutes to cook fried eggs, and why do you have to specially ask them every time for butter? The executive lounge is too small for the number of people expected to use it.

Overall, I simply don't think this hotel is good enough to be in the top league in Makati.

Room Tip: Get an upgraded room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Chidlom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The hotel has undergone substantial upgrade and I totally recommend the club floor and lounge. The service could not be better, the rooms really comfy, functional including wifi. Food quality also excellent.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2013

First of all whatever you pay online add an extra 2000PHP. It's an extra 23% for "Tax and Service".

Room was old, dirty, smelly, frayed carpet, marks on wall and carpet, musky. Temperamental air con... Sometimes would work and sometimes wouldn't.

Ordered simple snack food from restaurant downstairs and it took more than 1 hour for meals to come. They forgot to make one meal. There was only three of us.

Check out took over 30min!!! SERIOUSLY!

Staff were extremely nice but overall were incompetent.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank StuartJohnC
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I have stayed there a number of times over the past few years and have found New World Hotel Makati to be one of the best in Makati so sure! In our last couple trips, we opted for the convenience and intimacy of the Residence Club and lounge floor. At our last trip there back in February, the new Club floor was still undergoing the finishing tweaks and touches but was already a wonderful experience with its great staff. In this recent trip, I would be remiss if I didn't comment on how amazingly settled and intimately friendly the staff and lounge have been. I would like to single out the great service at the club desk, particularly Ms Kim Bautista and Mr Stevene Garcia. They were so helpful and welcoming and a tribute to the class of service at your Club! In the lounge, they were equally welcoming and attentive too. Manny is such a gentleman, always positive and inquisitive of our experience. Yhe and Dolly are so courteous, friendly and so attentive to our preferences... we look forward to seeing them with their genuine smiles and smartly dressed presentation! They are a great tag team on the floor! I never got the name of the chefs but I commented to Executive Chef Ivan Chieregath that he had an excellent staff, great food and wonderful drinks! Finally, the ambience, the comfortable setting and the spectacular view makes your Club floor is an experience to remember and share with friends planning to go to Manila. I look forward to coming back and most definitely to New World Hotel! Thank you so much!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed here for about 4 nights earlier this year and was more than happy with everything about it.

The staff were all extremely friendly and polite.

The room was large and the bed was awesome. The shower was excellent and blasted you wide awake each morning!

I only ate in the hotel one night. I had the all you can eat buffet and the food was excellent, especially the tempura!

Lots of other bars and food places in the surrounding area though.

Would definately recommend this place!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I just returned from a business trip to Manila and stayed at the NWM. The package offered included breakfast either on the first floor or the 24th floor club lounge. They had a wider selection downstairs. Conference rooms are available and very convenient as I hosted clients there and then transitioned next door for happy hour at the lounge.

Location is fantastic, next to Greenbelt 3 which have numerous restaurants. We saw the value in the property that I am setting up a Corporate deal so our Executives can stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business