“Close to many shopping mall and safe area to stay”

New World Makati Hotel
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hotel security is great..scan all guests that in and out.The hotel lobby and room are nice decorate.The buffet breakfast is a lot of choices and very closed to geenbelt area which is safe area to stay :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,671)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The hotel was undergoing renovation when I was there in Jan 2013, which probably was timely since the hotel looks quite old and tired. Because of the construction, there was some noise in the day, but for business travelers who are out most of the day, that should not be a problem. What didn't change from the last time I stayed here in 2009 was the well-maintained room, 24-hour gym, and morning buffet spread variety. There was even the choice of pillows for those who can't get used to the typical soft pillows provided. However, front desk service was a tad lacking, taking their time with the check-in and billing. Overall, I still find the hotel stay quite a pleasant one.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2013

It is not often you can find Great Service, at an Affordable price, in a Convenient location, but the New World Hotel offers all three. There are certainly other 5 star hotels that surround the Greenbelt shopping and restaurant center in Makati. Some of these other hotels may even offer good service, but the price at these other places (wow!!).

I spend over 100 nights a year at mostly 5 star hotels in Asia. The New World Makati offers comfortable rooms, with everthing the business traveler needs, in a central location for business. At night there is no need to fight traffic, just walk across the street to dozens of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our family stayed at New World for one week while visiting relatives in Manila. We had a very positive experience. I most appreciated the proximity to the Greenbelt "mall". This is a fun venue with many good outdoor restaurants. I recommend visiting the Ayala museum in Greenbelt 5 which has a variety of interesting exhibits including detailed dioramas of Filipino history and a beautiful exhibit of gold artifacts.

The staff at New World are exceptionally friendly and eager to help. We especially appreciated the wonderful staff in the Executive Lounge who serve breakfast and cocktails. I appreciated that they remembered our names and always welcomed us.

My daughter enjoyed the outdoor pool. It is well maintained and was empty most afternoons.

Our room had a king size bed which was very comfortable. The decor is modern and the bathroom is spacious. My only disappointment was that there are virtually no dressers for unpacking. Hence, we were living out of suitcases for a week. This was a small negative compared to the advantage of the great location and friendly staff. We will come again.

Room Tip: We recommend a room that allows you access to the Executive Lounge which serves fantastic buffet bre...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to get a free upgrade on my first stay. The club rooms were newly renovated and the amenities are still the best I have used on any hotel I've been to.

The regular rooms on the other hand, are old, smell old, but clean and you still get the same level of service and other great things about this hotel: dependable wifi connection, a 2 minute walk to greenbelt, easy access to a cab and a fantastic view of Ayala Avenue.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 23, 2013

During my last few trips to Manila, my local colleagues have tried to lure me away from staying at my old Makati favorites, the Mandarin Oriental and the Shangri La in favor of the very conveniently located New World Makati Hotel, adjacent to the magnificent Green Belt Shopping and entertainment complex. So this time I relented and made my reservation there to see how it had improved since my last visit three years ago.

A little background - this was formerly a Renaissance Hotel, but was acquired by a new investment group about four years ago with the promise to significantly upgrade the property and bring it back to its once proud five star hotel status. Thus far, they've completed the lobby and public areas on the first floor - so far so good. The work is well done and looks great. I was also told that the individual rooms are being renovated starting from the top floors and working their way down and that they have competed a couple of floors so far. At this rate, I'll probably be able to see the improvements in the next decade.

It's not fair to poorly rate a hotel just because the property is old - that often isn't the measure of a place and I remind my staff and colleagues often that some of the very best and most interesting places I have ever stayed have been older, even dated, properties. It's the people and the location and the layout and what the management team does with what they have that makes a hotel work.

So when I say that the New World doesn't work, it is about the way the place is run and what they are steps they are taking with the older rooms while they are renovating the others. From my most recent experience, new alone, won't make this a great hotel - it will take new managment and a new attitude to do that. Some examples are in order.

My room was, as several of the other reviewers here have commented, "very outdated, with old and below average beds, etc." "The bathrooms, especially the showerhead needs to be changed..." and so on. Yes, the caulking in the bathroom was colored, but it was clean, and yes the showerhead ought to be replaced (I bet they could cost justify those upgrades just with the cost savings of the water wasted due to leaking and misdirected water usage). As noted too, nearly every big hotel in the business has made a point of giving us better beds on which to sleep - this is just the ante now for a four star or better hotel. If renovations will take years, then I expect a hotel to make this investment now for me to consider staying there while I wait for the other improvements to be completed.

What is sad to see is that the rooms are actually well sized, and the older furnishings and 60's style desks and cabinetry are modestly well tended. Management here doesn't understand that while they focus on the upgraded and renovated rooms, they are turning off the very travelers, especially business travelers, now by not addressing the handful of things they can do in the meantime to remind their CURRENT visitors that they should stick around until that work is completed throughout the hotel.

This trip, I ordered room service and asked that it be delivered within a certain window of time - unfortunately, twice out of three tries, they missed that window - once too early (just as bad as late if you are in the middle of a say, a scheduled conference call) and once quite late. My room didn't have its own iron and board - a required standard to me for any decent hotel room - so I had to constantly call and order up and wait for delivery of these items. Worse yet, was the condition of these items when they finally arrived, leaking steam irons and torn ironing board tops do not instill confidence in me regarding your housekeeping quality in general.

Extra and unnecessary wake up calls (If I say one call, I actually mean it, you aren't helping me by calling again). And when I call for you to pick up my room service tray, I mean that I want you to pick it up today.

These and other personnel related actions are why I would not favorably recommend this hotel. With so very many available hotel choices in the same price category nearby, I suggest that you book other nearby quality hotels instead of choosing this work in progress.

Room Tip: Insist on one of the renovated rooms, or stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Tomago
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The lobby entrance reception, basically everything on the ground floor looked new. However when we were shown our rooms, we were disappointed that it looked kind of old and outdated. The bathrooms especially the shower head needs to be changed/upgraded. The view wasn't great. It overlooked a piece of land with unfinished construction. There was a spider right on top of the ceiling near the dull curtains. Generally the staff were all very friendly, helpful and professional. No complains about the service. The best part about the hotel that I enjoyed was meeting the guard dogs. They were such a joy to touch and cuddle. Initially we did not quite appreciate that the staff had to check our bags each time we entered the lobby. However on the way back, we read the newspapers inflight and came to know that 2 people died at hotel locations in Manilla - One was a french tourist who got robbed as he stepped out of the hotel lobby. The french tourist tried to fight back with the robber who wanted his waist pouch. When the french tourist resisted, the robber shot him at the chest, abdomen and forehead. Another was a local pinoy who worked as a hotel staff. She was leaving the hotel after work and a robber came for her bag. When she refused to give up her bag, she was shot point blank. Both died. Security at New World Makati is tight. After reading what happened to the french tourist and the filipino lady in other hotels, we are thankful and appreciative that New World Makati has measures in place for security. Recommended for dog lovers and those who like high-end shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a room with a nice view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple