“Need more than a facelift”

New World Makati Hotel
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Makati
Canberra, Australia
“Need more than a facelift”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before for business, so wanted to come back again. The foyer is still undergoing renovation, but it is more open and welcoming. The removal of the metal scanner at the front door certainly made it nicer to walk into the place. With the renovation going on, you had to walk up to the mezzanine level to access the lift, but the hotel had enough staff positioned to help you out.

The room was disappointing, carpet had a sticky feel to it when you walked bare feet and the whole room smell stale when you walked in. The room need a good coat of paint or a complete make over to bring it up to standard.

Reception staff was very attentive, but room service staff was slow and I had to request 3 times for a simply thing like clearing out the mini bar.

Breakfast is the one saving grace of this hotel. Very good variety, both Asian and European, so staying there for a week does not get boring. The fresh juice bar is great to pick you up in the morning. The staff at break fast are very attentive and your coffee is constantly refilled and hot.

I may stay at other places near the area next time, until the rooms are freshened up.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Thanhle70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I really expected more with the name NEW world. The lobby looks new but bare. No seating to wait for my driver. I was shocked with how outdated the room was. So dark and musty like its the 60's or somewhere where I haven't been born yet. The carpet looks very old and dirty It looks scary! The beds- not comfortable at all! I think beds are the most important hardware for a hotel. I hardly slept and I stayed there for 3 nights because all the other hotels in the area were full! Sad! Also the guard checking our bags at the entrance were not friendly at all!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank BillytheTraveler
Sydney
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We book for a 3 night stay from the 2nd of January to the 5th of January 2013 as a bit of a treat to kick back and enjoy a nice hotel at the end of 2 week trip. The room was booked online back in May 2012.

On arrival, the Bellhop was quick to greet us and assist us with our luggage (2 roller bags). The check-in was relatively uneventful with the exception that the lady at Reception serving us complaining to her friend, also at Reception, that her fingers were so tired from all the typing from the check ins. I am not a natural Tagalog speaker but having done business in the Philippines over the years I do understand enough of the language. My thoughts at the time were "I hope the poor girl is not in such a cranky mood that we get the crappiest room in the hotel”! I handed over the luggage tag from the Bellhop at the end of the check in and ask for the luggage to be sent up.

After a bit of bumbling around in the foyer to find the lifts (the lady at Reception gave vague directions with a dismissive wave of the hand) we found that you had to negotiate the stairs in the foyer to the Mezzanine Floor to get the lifts upstairs. This was due to renovations being carried out at the hotel. Anyways, so far so good, we found the lifts and headed to the room.

The room faced Greenbelt, which was nice but it also face the afternoon sun. Usually facing the afternoon sun is not a problem except that the air conditioning which was already set at 160 C was not that cool. No matter, we were on holidays.

My wife turns on the television to get the news whilst we settled back to wait for the luggage to be brought up. The television came up with a message saying that the “signal was weak” or something to that effect – suffice to say that it was not working the way we expected it to. She logged a call to have it fixed. No matter, we were on holidays, small things like this was not going to spoil our trip.

After 25 minutes of waiting for our luggage, we decided we would go and have lunch at Greenbelt instead of sitting in the room waiting. At our return from lunch there was a message to call the Concierge to have our luggage brought up. We thought it was a bit strange but no matter we were on holidays. My wife rang for the luggage and it was going to be brought up.

After that call to have our luggage brought up I noticed the message light blinking on the room telephone. I decided to retrieve what I thought would be a voicemail but instead it was the Front Desk, who duly asked if we wanted our luggage sent up. A bit of a redundant question considering I had asked it to be sent up at check in and my wife had also just called the Concierge to have it sent up. No matter, we were on holidays so I asked for our luggage to be sent up.

Whilst waiting for the luggage my wife went to have a shower to freshen up. I was left to fire up my computer to check on happenings back at work. Guess what, the internet service was a chargeable service so I decided that I didn’t really need to check on work. What the hell I’m on holidays!

Another 20 to 25 minutes later, still no luggage and my wife is waiting for a change of clothes. She wasn’t feeling so carefree anymore and neither was I. I head to the Front Desk to enquire about where our luggage was. Mind you, to be heard over the noise of the jack hammer in the foyer I was almost shouting. The lady politely told me that I need to check with the Concierge at the counter next to her. Ok, my bad here for going to the wrong counter but she was doing nothing and there was no other person needing to be served, surely she could have helped me by facilitating my enquiry?

I walked the 10 paces over to the Concierge and waited for service. When someone finally appeared I again asked for our luggage. Another wait and 10 minutes later the guy from the Concierge service finally appears with the luggage and asks if I would like for it to be sent up to my room !!! My reply was a firm “No” and I carried the luggage up to the room myself. After nearly 3 hours we had our luggage.

Apart from the luggage debacle, what about the hotel I hear you say. The room (including the bathroom) was tired and dark; it needed a facelift and better lighting. The air conditioning was barely sufficient. The internet was a chargeable service.

The location of the hotel is great being in the heart of Makati.

The pricing is also good if it was a 5 star hotel however, it is well short of being a 5 star hotel. So I don’t rate the pricing as good value.

I will be back in Manila for work and vacations but this time I think The Peninsular, Shangri La or Dusit Thani Hotel may be more deserving of my hard earned cash. I’ve already book The Peninsular for our next trip !!

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face the afternoon sun as the air conditioning is weak.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AsiaTraveller123
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Got to book just 2 weeks before New Year's eve celebration! It was a treat I wanted to give my mom, watch the amazing fireworks along the Makati business district at midnight and have a sound sleep, minus the thick smoke and gun-powder smell after the celebration.

Amount paid: P7,500.00 nett (other's got it at P6,500.00)
Inclusions: buffet breakfast and 1 hour massage for two persons (New year's eve promo)
Facilities: Gym, pool, jacuzzi, spa
Strategic location: behind Greenbelt 3, near Greenbelt malls, Glorietta mall, Rustans, Landmark
Public transport: near MRT Ayala Station, Bus, cab

As soon as we stepped in the hotel lobby, hotel staff were everywhere and assisting you with your needs; everyone with smiling faces. I wasn't able to get the bed I want but I was able to get the view where I'll see a spectacular 15-minute fireworks at 12 midnight. (Please note: if you are after watching and hearing the noise of fireworks even before midnight, the Filipino way of celebrating New Year, I won't recommend you checking in a Makati hotel, as there are only few fireworks near the business district, better go for hotels in Manila)

Going back to the hotel, I find the room a bit small, that if I got a twin bed, it will just be spacious enough for a few persons to move around but not play around. Their big bed is just like a queen size bed, and their twin bed can accomodate one pax only per bed, unlike in other hotels where their twin beds are as big as a queen size bed.
I wasn't able to avail the free massage because they were fully booked until the following day. I was only able to claim it the week after and I found out that their spa can only accomodate 5 persons per hour (3 rooms for guys and 2 rooms for ladies)...that's why.. :) so if you got a free massage package, better make reservations ahead even before you arrive at the hotel if they will allow it, especially if you're a tourist or even locals not living near the hotel to avoid the hassle of going back to the hotel just to claim the free massage :) Their breakfast was so-so, the choices on food were not a lot actually, but I can give a passing grade :)
I appreciate their phone service a lot actually, it is personalize, meaning, whenever I call them, they can recognize that it is me who is calling, or at the least someone from our room.
Overall, the hotel was a nice place to stay in, because when you step out of the hotel, you just cross the street and boom! you're inside the mall and there are plenty of boutiques, restaurants, coffee shops to choose from. You can also go to movie houses, supermarkets and even spa or play arcade, everything is almost there! :)

Room Tip: For New Year's eve fireworks display viewing: the windows facing Ayala is quiet the whole time...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MeSoloTravel
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 2, 2013

As others have commented it's ridiculous to pay for wifi. Wifi is given "free" depending on your hotel package (more costly no doubt).

Even in budget hotels and backpacker hostels, wifi is free. Wifi is no longer a luxury but a necessity for travellers. This hotel seems penny wise pound foolish apart from being discriminatory.

I will not recommend this hotel on account of this absurd practice.

The hotel management mindset is still stuck in the 20th century.

Apart from this irritation, the staff are friendly and helpful it must be acknowledged.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank rogerpoh
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,317 helpful votes
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is very hard to beat for location.Walk across the road and you are into Greenbelt 3. It's probably my preferred hotel whilst staying in Makati.

I got a great price by booking this hotel as the Asia Travel Makati Crazy Rates Mystery Hotel. It wasn't a mystery to me though. I thought the breakfast whilst very good had less choices than my last stay.

Staff were fantastic.Lobby has been renovated so looks great. Rooms are yet to be renovated and could do with a freshen up.

The hotel has a nice pool. You can certainly do a lot worse than staying at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tommomelbourne
Seremban, Malaysia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I use to stay in this hotel back when it was New World Renaissance and I last stayed here about 6 years ago. So coming back this time feels like a home coming. Stayed for 2 nights this time. Check in was simple and fuss free as we pre-paid for our room and the staff are friendly with plenty of smiles.

There was an on-going renovation but somehow the noise was either muted or we were lucky to be away from the hotel when the work is on-going.

The room we stayed in wasn't renovated but everything still works well. We had a queen size bed with plenty of pillows; flat-screen TV; a mini fridge, in room safe, iron and ironing board, kettle for making coffee and tea (sachets on a tray); bathrobes; slippers are all available. Bathroom is big (with bath tub), the separate shower stall is clean and the shower is powerful.

The breakfast spread is still very big, the quality is excellent and the service is flawless. I just love the coffee and they leave the whole flask with you - nice!

Of course the other plus point of this hotel is the location - right across from Greenbelt where one is spoiled for choice for food, drinks, ATMs and a small chapel. Many shopping malls e.g. Landmark, Glorietta and SM within walking distance and linked to Greenbelt via walkways.

On our departure day at 6am, our ride was waiting for us and so is our packed breakfasts. That's service!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple