“A New Year's Eve treat”

New World Makati Hotel
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Got to book just 2 weeks before New Year's eve celebration! It was a treat I wanted to give my mom, watch the amazing fireworks along the Makati business district at midnight and have a sound sleep, minus the thick smoke and gun-powder smell after the celebration.

Amount paid: P7,500.00 nett (other's got it at P6,500.00)
Inclusions: buffet breakfast and 1 hour massage for two persons (New year's eve promo)
Facilities: Gym, pool, jacuzzi, spa
Strategic location: behind Greenbelt 3, near Greenbelt malls, Glorietta mall, Rustans, Landmark
Public transport: near MRT Ayala Station, Bus, cab

As soon as we stepped in the hotel lobby, hotel staff were everywhere and assisting you with your needs; everyone with smiling faces. I wasn't able to get the bed I want but I was able to get the view where I'll see a spectacular 15-minute fireworks at 12 midnight. (Please note: if you are after watching and hearing the noise of fireworks even before midnight, the Filipino way of celebrating New Year, I won't recommend you checking in a Makati hotel, as there are only few fireworks near the business district, better go for hotels in Manila)

Going back to the hotel, I find the room a bit small, that if I got a twin bed, it will just be spacious enough for a few persons to move around but not play around. Their big bed is just like a queen size bed, and their twin bed can accomodate one pax only per bed, unlike in other hotels where their twin beds are as big as a queen size bed.
I wasn't able to avail the free massage because they were fully booked until the following day. I was only able to claim it the week after and I found out that their spa can only accomodate 5 persons per hour (3 rooms for guys and 2 rooms for ladies)...that's why.. :) so if you got a free massage package, better make reservations ahead even before you arrive at the hotel if they will allow it, especially if you're a tourist or even locals not living near the hotel to avoid the hassle of going back to the hotel just to claim the free massage :) Their breakfast was so-so, the choices on food were not a lot actually, but I can give a passing grade :)
I appreciate their phone service a lot actually, it is personalize, meaning, whenever I call them, they can recognize that it is me who is calling, or at the least someone from our room.
Overall, the hotel was a nice place to stay in, because when you step out of the hotel, you just cross the street and boom! you're inside the mall and there are plenty of boutiques, restaurants, coffee shops to choose from. You can also go to movie houses, supermarkets and even spa or play arcade, everything is almost there! :)

Room Tip: For New Year's eve fireworks display viewing: the windows facing Ayala is quiet the whole time...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MeSoloTravel

Reviewed January 2, 2013

As others have commented it's ridiculous to pay for wifi. Wifi is given "free" depending on your hotel package (more costly no doubt).

Even in budget hotels and backpacker hostels, wifi is free. Wifi is no longer a luxury but a necessity for travellers. This hotel seems penny wise pound foolish apart from being discriminatory.

I will not recommend this hotel on account of this absurd practice.

The hotel management mindset is still stuck in the 20th century.

Apart from this irritation, the staff are friendly and helpful it must be acknowledged.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank rogerpoh
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is very hard to beat for location.Walk across the road and you are into Greenbelt 3. It's probably my preferred hotel whilst staying in Makati.

I got a great price by booking this hotel as the Asia Travel Makati Crazy Rates Mystery Hotel. It wasn't a mystery to me though. I thought the breakfast whilst very good had less choices than my last stay.

Staff were fantastic.Lobby has been renovated so looks great. Rooms are yet to be renovated and could do with a freshen up.

The hotel has a nice pool. You can certainly do a lot worse than staying at this hotel.

2  Thank tommomelbourne
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I use to stay in this hotel back when it was New World Renaissance and I last stayed here about 6 years ago. So coming back this time feels like a home coming. Stayed for 2 nights this time. Check in was simple and fuss free as we pre-paid for our room and the staff are friendly with plenty of smiles.

There was an on-going renovation but somehow the noise was either muted or we were lucky to be away from the hotel when the work is on-going.

The room we stayed in wasn't renovated but everything still works well. We had a queen size bed with plenty of pillows; flat-screen TV; a mini fridge, in room safe, iron and ironing board, kettle for making coffee and tea (sachets on a tray); bathrobes; slippers are all available. Bathroom is big (with bath tub), the separate shower stall is clean and the shower is powerful.

The breakfast spread is still very big, the quality is excellent and the service is flawless. I just love the coffee and they leave the whole flask with you - nice!

Of course the other plus point of this hotel is the location - right across from Greenbelt where one is spoiled for choice for food, drinks, ATMs and a small chapel. Many shopping malls e.g. Landmark, Glorietta and SM within walking distance and linked to Greenbelt via walkways.

On our departure day at 6am, our ride was waiting for us and so is our packed breakfasts. That's service!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EKYSeremban_Malaysia
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had previously commented on the TA Philippines forum that the best room aspect was towards the airport (the back of New World).

Having had the opportunity for two one night stays on each side of the hotel, I was wrong. The pool aspect avoids traffic noise and gives a restful night's sleep.

At checkin I was asked for a P3000 deposit: an annoying but now commonplace hotel practice.

My initial room on the 7th floor was reasonable: while dated, it had a near new flat screen television, good hot water but sadly the room safe was not working. Aircon worked fine. There was a little traffic noise (jeepneys) from Pasay Road.

The later room, on the 12th floor was better: it looked a bit brighter, had a pleasant outlook to the pool area three floors down and did not have any traffic noise problems at all.

The breakfast buffet was very good with the banana and pineapple shakes and a good range of fresh fruit juice (including squeezed by a staff member, but it was too sweet). Staff do however need to listen to guests' requests carefully as on occasion they brought the wrong item to the table.

The hotel is very close to the excellent Landmnark department store.

Checkout was quick. I obtained a street taxi promptly.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the pool side. They are quieter.
1  Thank Victorianlad
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We came to Manila over Xmas to celebrate with my partners family, and couldn't have been happier. The staff are all so friendly and make every effort to help at every chance. We had issues with the bank in relation to not advising we would be using our VISA overseas and the front desk staff helped us to call the bank to sort it out.

The location is great for shopping & eating - we celebrates Xmas lunch just over the road in a lovely restaurant at Greenbelt Mall.

The room is a little tired and could do with a spruce up.

There is free wifi in the lobby & lounge but in the rooms it's PHP100 for an hour or PHP750 for 24 hours. We availed the upgrade to club access which included free internet, breakfast in the lounge, afternoon tea & evening 'cocktails' in the lounge - the cocktails are really just mixed drinks, wine or bubbly. Including tax it was PHP2800 and was not really worth it - for that money you can have a great breakfast over in Greenbelt for much less.

We had a cocktail at the lobby lounge one night whilst listening to live music which was very enjoyable.

Overall a pleasant stay.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Checked in directly from the airport to get a night's rest but turned out horribly wrong. The bed was not arranged properly and the topper had huge lumps on them. They think people can have a decent sleep on those? I don't think so. After 2 calls with housekeeping, they replaced it and a few minutes later, got a message under the door: "Dear... we have noted down your concerned (sic) and replaced the tapper (sic)..." - what's that now??

At breakfast, we had one of the nephews come in sleeveless shirt. He was told to change his clothes. That's all fine, of course. But what I hate is getting treated differently from expats. (Note: there were some expats who wore sandos and were not even bothered).

I used to stay here when it was still the Rennaissance Hotel under JW Marriott. They should have stayed with the brand. Making it on your own is well and good, but get your staff trained properly on hospitality services please.

• Stayed: December 2012