“Comfort food”

Balkan
Ranked #239 of 1,416 Restaurants in Makati
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Balkan, is a restaurant-Saloon that serves authentic Yugoslavian Cuisine. Currently there are no other restaurants in the Philippines that serve Yugoslavian food. Balkan started in 2001, although the cuisine is new to the Filipino taste buds, there are certain similarities with the local dishes. The Philippine diners quickly embraced Yugoslavian food. As the very nature of the food calls for paring with Alcoholic Drinks, Balkan also operates a full-service bar. Balkan transports customers to experience the Balkan way of eating, drinking and partying. Interiors reflect a modern but authentic Balkan feel.
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Arrived at around 7PM with friends. It was surprisingly pleasant that the restaurant was not packed during payday friday, compared to the other restaurants nearby. At around 8PM, the restaurant was full. I ordered the Chicken Kebab wrapped with bacon meal (P340). I noticed that 80% of the menu is meat, so vegetarians/vegans only have so little to choose from.

Pros:
The ambiance is perfect for business dinners, a quiet dinner with friends, and couples - there are no loud people in the nearby tables.
You get what you pay for - the chicken kebab I ordered was tender and the meat was juicy. In my opinion though, it lacked a bit in the "smokey" taste department, but that's just me.

Cons:
They really need to improve on their customer service. When I came in, it took a couple of seconds for the waiter who was looking at me as I came in, to actually approach me and ask how many are we gonna be in the group. Our server doesn't know how to smile and speaks in a very low voice; she also didn't repeat our orders. When my friends were done eating and I was not, a waiter came by and asked if he could already clear out the tables while I was still eating - which was kind of rude.

Balkan is a great place for small groups of people. If you're looking to catch up with a friend or have a nice quiet dinner with a loved one, this is your place. As for me, I'm gonna go back but probably not very soon. They really need to improve on the customer service; maybe they would actually get tips.

There are newer reviews for Balkan

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I went to the balkan region last year and the food here is as close you can get. With unparalleled taste that cannot be found anywhere else in Manila. Food is amazing, atmosphere with balkan music playing is just settling you in for the surprise taste.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

If you're looking for a great home-style, hearty and affordable meal , this is the place for you. Food is authentic- I recommend PLJESKAVICA burger, tomato/cucumber/feta salad, and CEVAPCICI platter. I have yet to try other items, but I will definitely be back.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I ordered the Hungarian goulash and this sausage that tasted like Vigan longganisa but only bigger.

Great, home-cooked comfort food. The goulash was served with what seems to be freshly baked bread and it was fantastic. Will go back to order it again.

Ambiance was warm and relaxed. Good dining experience with friends.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

If you love meat and potatoes, this is the resto for you :-) I love this place! A hearty bowl of goulash is perfect on a rainy night. I had some goulash last night (it's the height of summer) and I still enjoyed it. More items on the menu now compared to the first few times I ate here. Appreciate the addition of some non-meat options. If you live in Makati CBD, Balkan is a quiet resto in a quiet neighborhood that isn't far from the busy main street. If you live nearby, just walk over as street parking isn't always easy to find. Recommended dishes: the goulash, the cabbage roll, the sausages I can't pronounce or spell (something with Cs Ps and Vs ceveppici?) with fries, the arugula salad (got it with grilled chicken last night but the chicken was a bit dry so next time I'll order the salad with feta). The lamb (something with a J and Ns and Ts and As and Es) is a best seller but it's not my type. I'm looking forward to trying lots more meat dishes.
I'm surprised Balkan isn't more popular. It's a quiet place to spend a relaxing evening with friends. I don't drink beer but whenever I'm at Balkan, I'm tempted to have a bottle of beer because the food is just so perfect for beer :-D Prices are very reasonable! If you stick with the house water, you'll probably spend P350 or so on a hearty dinner in a cozy place.