“very good place and price, in an excellent location”
Review of Saint Illians Inn

Saint Illians Inn
Ranked #17 of 40 Makati B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I found this place on the internet, I was staying in Cebu and needed a place it Makati for just one night. Although I only stayed one night and the end I was wishing it was longer as the place was so clean and had so much character. When I booked the room I was offered a transfer from the airport, as I was only staying a night I used a taxi, but it was nice to have the offer. When I arrived we were checked in and shown to our rooms in a very polite manner. I noticed that there were many foreign people checking in throughout the day with a lot who were returning as the service they received was so good.

If you want somewhere to stay which is clean/cheap, and you are not too worried about having a large room, then this is as best as it gets.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank james2000uk
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

A perfect Score!

Its rare that someone is pleased enough to rank us perfect 5 out of 5! It shows clearly that if one is,positive in ones outlook about life one will indeed appreciate the simple clean comfortable unpretentious surrounds we take great efforts in providing.

It confirms that Others who post negative feedback are merely expressing outwardly their own dissatisfaction with what life has given them, and furthermore, that no amount of service will ever please them once they've made up their minds to be dissatisfied.

Thank you for your glowing review!

Cheers! And happy travels!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

There are some things in this hotel that somehow stick in your memory and even can make you return a second time. The personnel is kind and attentive for one thing, another thing is the design of the place and the rooms. Even though it is simple in a way it is still an attempt to be a boutique hotel in its kind. The rate is not really competitive but similar to other places. Discounts is available for cash payment, but then again it is usually unpractical having to pay large amounts cash all the time and as a foreigner you will end up paying to your bank for every withdrawal. Location is good considering the fact that the Walter mart mall is just a short walk away where you can find many food offerings and shops of all sorts and even a cinema. Wifi is present and working throughout the hotel if you are lucky although in some of the rooms it is not guaranteed. A nice added value was also the presence of DVD's to borrow at the reception to watch on the DVD player that is present in every room, as well as a modern LCD television. Not bad for a budget place of this sort.

Room Tip: If it is necessary to have free wifi in the room, ask for a room near the reception
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank James R
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Yes, everything you said is true ... A very objective comment you have posted which is the best kind. A very fair and unbiased opinion is yours and we thank you. We do wish people would be as fair and objective all the time with our other properties. We have three similar properties and perhaps next time you could try these and write an objective review about them as well. Thank you!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I think there is no other decent place in Makati CBD area that can compare with St. Illian's. The price we paid for our family room is so easy on our budget with the FREE breakfast for 3 people. Plus, they gave us welcome drinks, free popcorn and brewed coffee daily ! The staff are friendly and accommodating. It's the little things they do (like putting a small cookie with your cup of coffee) that indicates they give customer service from the heart. I just wish their room is a little bigger and that they automatically make-up your room daily (I had to request it on the 2nd day). But, my husband was glad not to see any insects at all in the rooms. He is particular on hotel cleanliness.

Overall, this little hotel gets my thumbs-up and we will be back. It might become our "suking" hotel in Manila. God bless, St. Illian's !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Olive O
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for your glowing praises! We will share your comments with all our staff. Please come back again soon!

Cheers !

Reviewed May 20, 2013

They have a promo rate of 995.00 if you're going to stay for only 12 hours. I work in Makati area and I have a flight to catch early morning the next day. I just need a place to sleep and saw that it was highly recommended by many. Tried my luck if there are still available rooms since that promo is on a first come first serve basis. As I step into their lobby it smells fresh and clean. The moment I saw my room, it gave me comfort and homey vibe already. It's not that big, just good enough for two. Complete with toiletries. They also gave me popcorn as a welcome snack. All rooms have DVD players and you can ask for a dvd at the front desk. Wifi is available too. What impressed me the most is when they gave the guidelines and house rules. Right after discussing it, they handed me a calling card and says if I'm not satisfied with their service, I can email their president directly. For me that's a guarantee that they will serve all their clients very well. First time I ever experienced superb service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank kurapengpeng
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

it feels wonderful to be appreciated like,this! We will share your comments with all our staff and congratulate them on a job well done. Housekeeping for cleaning the lobby and rooms, front desk for correctly attending,to you. Coffee shop for caring about your pop corn and marketing for giving you a very affordable stay.

Maraming Maraming salamat po! Translated for foreigner readers-- thank you very very much,

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Rooms and bathrooms are compact but very clean and comfortable. Staff are very efficient, polite and friendly but being a bit more knowledgeable about travel arrangements would be helpful. Food at the in-house cafe was tasty & reasonably priced. WiFi was available in the lobby & cafe & although it was complimentary was dished out in 10 minute segments. There was never any hassle getting another 10 minutes from desk staff but this is a nuisance factor - WiFi should be available freely. There is a nearby Mall & 7-11 if you need supplies. The only issue we had with this place was trying to get a taxi back from other areas of Manila such as Intramuros, taxi drivers seemed very reluctant to take us there, we had several knock backs before finding a taxi that would - this happened to us on a few occasions. Overall we were happy with our stay at Saint Illians Inn.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sunaks
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for your very objective comments.

The wifi is given freely. Occassionally the PLDT Internet provider fluctuates and drops out. Thus the wifi needs to be re started or re booted up. That entails clearing all users and therefore passwords so you need a new one. That's all that's happening there. Wifi is given freely as you suggested.

Taxi drivers are real hacks! Many travelers complain about them and I have to totally agree with you and others on that one.

Please come back again! Thank you and happy travels! Cheers!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We booked for 1 night before an early morning flight from Manila. We arrived here after dark and the taxi driver struggled to find the place (I would suggest getting a printed map before you arrive to help direct the taxi driver). We arrived to a very welcoming receptionist. She spoke very good English and checked us in quickly. We were on the 4th floor and although there was no lift they did offer a porter to help with luggage if we needed it.

The building is quite unique. It was a lovely courtyard and also had balconies at the front too (but not attached to the rooms as such – they were common areas).
We were offered a portion of popcorn and also a choice of movies if we wanted – it was a nice touch!
The room itself was perfect – we had a nice comfortable bed with good pillows (so often pillow are bad which I hate!). Bed sheets were nice and clean. It’s a small room but has everything you need; a small flat screen TV, fridge, air-con and also a table and chairs to sit at. The bathroom was good too – again it was small but was fine. The shower was good – hot water and good power, a fair selection of bathroom amenities including toothbrushes and the towels were nice and clean. It was cosy and we had a great night’s sleep here – it wasn’t noisy at all.

There is a good looking coffee shop on the ground floor – we didn’t have time to use it which was a shame!

The receptionist booked us a taxi for the next morning. The taxi took around 20 minutes (early on a Sunday morning) and cost approx 120Pesos on the meter. The taxi driver tried to charge us 350 Pesos without the meter which is too expensive – just insist on using the meter (this is of course nothing to do with the hotel).

There is 24 hour reception which is handy and also a security guard at all times. I felt very safe here.

I think this is great value for money and I’d happily stay here again. The only thing I would do differently would be to have a map for the taxi driver to get here. Maybe the hotel could even provide instructions in Filipino and a map on their website which you could download and bring with you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sarah B
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for your praise! Coming from a Senior Contributor ( like myself -- I too have 65 reviews to my credit ), that means it is fair, objective and can be counted upon to present a fair assessment of the experience at our inn.

Everything you said is true. These days many taxi cab drivers do not know any specific locations until,they've Actually been there themselves. To,date there are over 400 thousand taxis plying our metropolis with turn over rates of new hires triple that number -- so new drivers really don't know left from right. Major landmarks is all they know and our major landmarks are Waltermart mall, 3 min walk away,,and cross reference that with Makati Cinema Square, literally a few steps from our door.

Also, we DO have a printable map on our website... If you go to Saintilliansinn dot com and click,the tab marked LOCATION you'll see the map which can in fact be enlarged and printed out.

Nevertheless cabbies are an item we indeed cannot control and has nothing to do with the hotel, so therefore many thanks for pointing that out too!

Have a prosperous year ahead! Cheers!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel had really nice exteriors and located in a nice quiet street near major roads. We were given a corner room which is very convenient and allows me to see the buildings in makati when I peep outside the window. This is not an extravagant hotel but a small budget hotel that provides basic traveler needs: comfy bed, hot shower, and easily accessible. I tried their "best seller" for breakfast, the tapa, good portions and they were correct to say it was good. My stay was nothing spectacular but was enjoyable. My sisters were happy that we booked the hotel. Another thing worth noting is that the owners are really hands on. If you have any comments or suggestions they are very accommodating. I think for that I will be coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper levels are quieter but since they do no have elevators, you might want to settle...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank lisa_b_1999
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Saint Illians Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you so very, very much! You are positively right about everything you said. We strive to give guests exactly what you mentioned. So very glad you see who we are, what our product is, and appreciate it for what you paid.

And yes, owners are very hands-on-- paying close attention to guests who might otherwise not receive what they paid for. Its a contract after all, when you sign the Reg Card, that we care your you comfort and safety of your persona and belongings while you are under our roof, in exchange for a fair price!

Our meals are ALL home cooked. The Tapa (beef jerkly Philippine Style) with eggs for breakfast is a favorite and the tapa is not merely purchased off the supermarket shelves. Suppliers deliver fresh Batangas beef, we slice it, marinade and tenderize it with Philippine lemon and let it sit till soft and tasty.. Even our bread which you may have had is homemade too. Nothing off a shelf. Even our corned beef is prepared in house. Come back and try that next time!

Cheers!! and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours in advance, ma'am.