WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #28 of 80 Hotels in Makati
Stratford, Connecticut
“Didn't meet standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

This hotel was kind of a pain from the beginning. We found Manila kind of a tough city to pick a neighborhood to stay in because everything is so spread out that nothing is convenient and things are always far away no matter where you stay. This hotel appears as a beautiful professional business hotel but it is actually on a questionable corner of the red light district. The room was simple and very quiet. I found the cleanliness to be below average, ex: grease on windows from fingers and faces, hair in bathroom. Our king bed room received free water and newspaper daily but no shampoo/conditioner etc. Free Wifi on public floors like the lobby, pool area and buffet floor. Breakfast was repulsive! It was buffet bfast, always overcrowded, people coughing all over the food and I found hair on food several times. The variety of food was also quite bizarre.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CTguru
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for giving us your constructive feedback and for seeing us as a professional business class hotel. We are however not in the corner of a red light district but that of Makati Avenue corner Kalayaan Avenue. We have taken note of the concerns that you have mentioned and been working on them. We regret any inconvenience we may have caused you during your stay with us.
Our superior rooms are equipped with 3-in-1 dispensers, however bottled shampoo and conditioner can be requested from Housekeeping. Buffet breakfast is served daily and we thank you for raising your concern in areas of hygiene. We are looking at how best this will not occur again.
We hope you will not be deterred from coming back to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Derrick Tan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

This was the 2nd time I've been here in Philippine. The very first time, I was cheated by the airport taxi which cost me 1000++ peso from airport to hotel. This caused me have a very bad impression toward this country, so for the 2nd time, I'm decided to book the hotel transport in order to have a safe journey from airport to this hotel.

Hell yes, I do inform them by email the exact time I will reach in airport, in fact, my flight didn't postponed or whatever and I clearly received a mail from this hotel stated that they will be there in the airport on time. I reached on time. So I expected someone will be there for me in the airport to be ready to fetch me up to the hotel. Seriously disappointed I pay for 900 Peso for the service and end up I’M WAITING IN THE AIRPORT FOR THE DRIVER FOR MORE THAN HALF AND HOURS!!!!! Hell, bloody hell !!!!

Alright, I've consoled myself that this could be some misunderstand or maybe the driver late because of traffic jam ( I reached on 9.45 PM.. still traffic jam?! ), Whatever, forget about it.

After that, done with checked in and I've informed them that I will stay until 15Jan2012. Hmmm, they jotted it down. GREAT JOB!

The funny things happened, on 13 of Jan, my room key DIDN'T FUNCTION and I couldn't even go to my room, so I make a move to the receptionist and they reactivate my room key card.

Oh great, I sweep the card in the lift and I can access the lift to my room!!! I thought all this will be over but then when I reached right in front of my room, I try to sweep to unlock my room !!! hmm... COOL... I CANT OPEN IT !!! so I made another SILLY MOVE to the receptionist and ask for the reason!!! COOL, THEY PRETEND COOL and ask someone with the master key card to help me open my room without further explains to me what goes wrong?!

Unfortunately I need to extend my business trip here in Philippine. I've informed the hotel I will extend until 18 of Jan and I paid my bill. (I make a guess that previously my room card didn't function perhaps I haven't pay the room bill, so they block my access).

But then, the funny things happened again, my room card didn't function again today which is 17 of Jan, HEY, I'VE CLEARED THAT I WILL STAY UNTIL 18 of Jan, WHAT THE HELL YOU BLOCK MY ROOM CARD AGAIN AND AGAIN BEFORE THE DATE I HAVE MENTIONED TO YOU?

All the while, the room service is "awesome", I've used the glass in the room and they didn't clean it at all, I stay for 3 week++, do not tell me your house keeping can't realized there's a glass that I've used. OR YOU EXPECTED ME TO CLEAN IT UP MYSELF? The internet connection can't connect for few times... bla bla bla...too many things that disappointed me.

I stay in this hotel simply because it's have a corporate price for my company, but with this kind of Stunning experience that keep on repeating. I know clearly by next time my company request us to do the survey for the accommodation.

I do not know this post will be public in here for everyone knowledge or what, I surely share my experience on my facebook, my google+, my blog, and most important, I will share among with my colleague who going to have their business trip to Philippine.

p/s: forget to say, hell good luck there’s other hotel got corporate price for my company.

Good Luck St. Giles!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank asdf1234567890
DerrickTan, General Manager at St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

I read with concern your posting and apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us. I value your comments and I'm looking into resolving them.

Thank you for understanding the traffic situation in the city especially during December time. The airport representative was not able to explain to you that the ramp going to the airport lounge where you were waiting was really jammed, causing the delay of the vehicle coming to fetch you. We are speaking to the transport company on your plight and would appreciate if you could kindly provide us your email address in order for us to get in touch with you on our next course of action.

As for the problems you have encountered with your keycard, we have asked for the company that supplies them to help us check for any faults. Your reservation was made for December 26, 2011 and departing on January 21, 2012. There has been no change whatsoever to the departure date as what we derived from our system. Even the keycard that was issued to you shows that the key was active for the inclusive dates. We are escalating the problem of the keycard to our supplier and awaiting feedback from them.

I hope the inconvenience will not mar you from staying with us in the near future. Please do allow me to know of your next visit as I would like to meet you.

Best regards,

Derrick Tan

Travelers are raving about these Makati hotels

Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

We spent one night at St. Giles on the beginning of our honeymoon before heading off to Cebu. My wife heard about the property from somebody and thought it was worth giving it a shot. I'm familiar with most of the hotels in the area, and agreed.

They set us up with a Deluxe room on the 15th floor., corner unit with views of construction on both sides. Fortunately, there was no construction going on the nite of our stay.

The rooms are nice for the price, complete with all amenities, including a hair dryer that my wife enjoys. We scanned their restaurant and were not impressed so we decided to dine out and also skip breakfast to head out early to the airport in the morning. They have a rooftop pool and gym, but hardly anyone used them.

I would have preferred staying a step-down at the City Garden Hotel next store for about half the price especially since we only stayed for about 18hours. But heck, we gave the place a shot. We live only about 10min down the street in the business district, however we didn't feel like staying at any airport hotels in Newport City.

All in all, I rate St. Giles a so-so "3.5 star" property competing with other 2-3 star hotels in the area. Even the older Mandarin, Makati Shangri-La, and Intercon hotels closer to Ayala Ctr are a much much better value.

[I'm also a bit biased, because the hotel is located in what I call Makati's "yellow-light" district. I expect more out of hotels close to the "new & improved" Century City. Unfortunately, even the upcoming Trump Tower won't be able to boost the area's image until they tear down and/or renovate most of the old buildings on that side - especially by getting rid of all the STRIP CLUBS in the neighborhood as well! (side bar to Donald Trump - dump the Century Property development in the area and relocate to Bonifacio Global City, preferably next to the new Shangri-La)

Room Tip: ask for a room on 15th floor or higher, and preferably not facing the construction site(s).
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Loco E
Dear Guest,

Allow me to thank you for choosing St Giles Hotel amidst the many other hotels around us. I am glad that your wife truly enjoyed our hair dryer. I am sorry though if our menu did not match your discerning palate, we are constantly working on improving this for the satisfaction of our guests.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

My fiancee stayed here last December and was convinced by a family friend to stay here for the holidays. I was a bit hesitant at first coz we really love staying in the nearby hotel every time we came to visit Manila. But there;s always a first in everything so we gave it ba shot.
Truly our stay was the most comfortable stay we have experienced so far amongst the hotels within the area.. We arrived early morning due to some sudden change in our itineraries ,thinking we will be rejected or pay additional fees due to early check in however we were welcomed with very warmth and sincere smiles of the ladies at the reception, very much welcoming and guess what ! no additional charge for an early check in~!!! We have reserved the superior room knowing it should be enough for us (space wise) and based from the website photos refered to us by our frnd it looks big in the pics :), anyways , we could have gotten the deluxe but were too tired to change the room reservations and beside we will be checking out the ff day early for our boracay trip..We were so excited coz its our first visit in boracay however our excitment went down to zero as we had a bad experience that all started from the airport way down from the resort accomodation.. anyways il write that specific review seperately . Going back to Giles Hotel, the rooms are so comfortable sheets are so fresh and clean though the outside windows a little bit dirty that destroy the momentum of the good view of the city. We had a good sleep though you can hear every honk of every vehicle from the outside from time to time, we should have requested a higher floor perhaps. The pillows and bed are so clean and fresh.To sum it all the room is functional though a little small, but what really took my attention and decided to write this review are the people behind this hotel gem,people here are very helpful very courteous those small talks that you really know that was really meant at heart and sincere. My Fiancee even told me that she never experienced such friendly atmosphere in any other hotels in Manila truly a philippinos trademark very warm smile and very hospitable. We were supposed to take the breakfast but too scared to be late with our flight or too excited for boracay :) we will trully come back here for sure! thank you !kudos to all staff at the reception,concierge and security officers.

Room Tip: higher floor non smoking
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank markusmarks
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

St Giles is a new hotel in the Burgos area of Makati, close to the bars, next to the City Garden hotel. Booked on the hotel's internet and is cheaper than doing so by phone etc

Located near some expat bars (Howzat and Handle Bar - great for breakfast and reasonable priced) - breakfast at hotel is OK but I much prefer other places for the same price.

Many fast food outlets very close (North Park Noodles, Shakey Pizza) plus burger bars, Italian and Persian. Also 7 Eleven near for food and drinks etc to take into the room

Room small unless you take the Deluxe room but all rooms clean functional and ideal for a short stay. If book as a single person (1 occupant) wifi is free

Not 5 star but great hotel for those on budget who want a clean and functional hotel. Staff friendly and helpful, plenty taxis outside the hotel to get you to the main malls in Makati.

Room Tip: If you want a larger room select Deluxe but the Superior is OK for 2 persons
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RiceyTraveller
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Spent five nights here. Usually stay at the City Gardens which is right next door. This hotel came recomemended and I opted to give it a try.
Selected a deluxe room as I was staying there for 5 days.
In comparison to the hotel next door and indeed the Best Western across the road the"deluxe" room was basic with no extras that you would normally expect in a deluxe room.
Breakfast was nothing exciting.
A bit heavy with lobby security

Room Tip: Think about somewhere else !
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank rmilligan52
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Hotel is located right at the end of Makati Ave so it was a good 20+ mins walk to Greenbelt area and nearest MRT station (Ayala). There is a 7-11 just 1 min walk away.

Got a room on the 28th floor but it was still fairly noisy as there was a construction site nearby where the workers seem to work throughout the night. Room size is small but as what others have mentioned, the room is very clean and things are all fairly new. There is a large safe deposit box in the room so you can store your laptops in there. Did not like the idea of having to pay for free wifi though.

Staff at the front desk are very helpful. They spare no effort in answering queries and giving directions. Housekeeping knocks on my door at 930am every morning asking if we would like the room cleaned. While it is not a bad idea to have a standard time for cleaning, it would probably make more sense if they come at 1030am instead since not everyone wakes up early every morning.

I would say that St Giles is a good hotel to stay in Makati.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family