“Great owner!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Makati
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great owner!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Decent hostel. Good location. But the best part is the women who runs it. So SO SOOOO helpful. It was her birthday when I was there and she hosted a party and got us all pizza, ice cream etc etc! Great atmosphere. The city isn't great - so it's nice to have a homely place to relax in

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Ravne na Koroskem, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed only for one night. We came late and left early. When we arrived people were singing karaoke in the next room. Hostel was quite clean and nice-looking. The window was leaking so our bed was wet and in the morning there was no water, but during the trip we realized that that happens a lot. The staff was very friendly (one of the friendliest).

We travelled July 2012.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mp-backpacker
Tortola
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Excellent location, close to many eateries..Room was clean & comfortable....Very friendly and helpful staffs.Good breakfast too....
Only issue was that the hostel is situated in the 4th floor with NO Lifts..need to climb stairs with luggages. Other than that, everything was good in this hostel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Nuremberg, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I am writing from my room at 3:06 am! Since 22:00 pm there are about 6 people sitting in the dining room in front of our room haveing discussions about the world of football. I was cimplaining at 1:30 am and still no one cares. Everything is very good here, but if you want to sleep by night, you better choose an other place!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank slowlo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

The hostel is easy to find, the staff is very friendly and helpful and its clean, quiet and beds are comfortable. There is enough hot water for everyone. One day I had to leave early and they even prepared breakfast for me before it officially starts. Free computer use, wifi works good. Would stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Good hostel, very clean and staff very friendly. It is about the same price as a cheap hotel, but you get the communal vibe here. Breakfast is great. You are also in the best location in Manila, on Makati avenue.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Real, Quezon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just discovered this place last September and I've been in this place for 7 times already! My purpose of staying here is to try out the local hosteling scene and I am NOT disappointed. It's like my second home already and since I discovered the place - I've been ditching a lot of invitations from family and friends to stay on their homes and the hotel managers that I know in Manila have just declared me a persona-non-grata for totally ignoring them lately. LOL.

Pros:

1. Customer Service & staff - working in customer service sector for so long, this is one thing that I really appreciate when doing business. Kudos to Chateau and her team: Grace, Elvie, Onin, Jhie, Rolly and to others whom I can't recall right now. These people are really professional when dealing with people and situations. No matter what your race or status is, they always treat you equally and serve you with passion and energy that you seldom get from generic hotels. To sum it up, they are the exact people I would like to hire if ever I'd put up a hostel business.

2. Cleanliness - I live in a house where dust and dirt do not have a place and with the same standard as my mom with cleanliness, I can say that this place is really well-maintained. From the rooms, to the toilet and bath to kitchen to the communal area, you can tell that the place is really well run.

3. Location & Safety - you are literally in the middle of everything. As we call it in Filipino, isang tambling lang from everything. A-venue Mall is just across the road, it is close to the bars, banks and good restos, Ayala Center, Rockwell, Makati Business District etc. I know many tourists who prefer Intramuros area because - well of Intramuros. But from Makati, Intramuros is just around 20-30 mins depending on traffic and after seeing it once, I can't think of a reason why stay in Manila area longer. Makati is less chaotic and way safer than Manila. Manila has always been the 'shady' and crowded part of the metro while Makati is the hip and fancy area.

4. Value - it maybe not as cheap as the hostels in Thailand and other countries, but this is so far is the best hostel I've been. I have tried some of the 'best hostels' in Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia based on reviews and no one comes close to this hostel so far if we're talking about what you get on a price. And if I will compare it to price that I used to spend in hotels, I'm just paying 5-20% of that price. So it's really a steal for me ;)

5. Melting Pot - I know some hostels that claim to be a melting pot of some sort but I have just truly understand the meaning of the word when I first came here. When I first booked a mixed room, I was really hesitant but it turned out to be one of the best decisions in my life. I won't be able to meet great friends from different races and backgrounds if I didn't do it. It is a norm that the guy/ girl that you're talking could be a social worker from Japan or a high ranking military official from Israel or a businessman from Australia, a German teacher from China, a banker from New York, a hippie from Holland, a lawyer from Malaysia or a student from UK. Tons of interesting characters there for sure. The hostel is also set up with the words social and interaction on the designer's mind. It's really hard not to talk to your fellow guests when you're in communal area and with jolly Filipino staff, you're in for a crazy conversation! And if you're a culture vulture like me, you'll appreciate it!

6. Activities and Fun - the hostel provide FREE tours! You only get to spend for fares, your food, and other stuff that you might need but you can split it with other guests as well. Always check out the activity board for some of these scheduled tours. If there's a TRUE Manila tour, just join and don't be afraid of trying something out of your comfort zone.

7. Privacy - when we're talking about hostel, privacy has become the less concern. I am a very private person and I'm not used of sharing a room with anyone even when I was studying in college and this was my main issue when I first tried a hostel 3 months ago. But with dorm beds equipped with curtains, sharing a room with strangers isn't that bad.

Cons:

I would only provide some cons to give an honest review but I really find it trivial. It is something that I wish the hostel can improve but for me personally, it is not really a big deal.

1. Personal light and electrical sockets - so it would be easier to charge personal devices and no need to turn on the main light to avoid disturbing your room mates (its not a problem for me but I noticed that some people are really light sleeper)

2. Variation on breakfast - they only provide a continental breakfast and its enough for a light eater like me. However, if you stay more than 3 days and have tried everything in their table, this can cause a problem to a person with a choosy stomach like me :). I've been in the place for 7 times already and tried all their selections. How I wish they can provide some pancakes, butter, a different type of bread and fruits haha. (Elvie, banana na naman???! haha)

Okay, time to pack my backpack to go back to the hostel :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank trigger_elf