I chose OMP based on its high rating as well as the lack of options in Manila. I am very happy I selected OMP over the slightly cheaper options (that had much lower ratings) because it was one of the nicest hostels I stayed in over the past 3 months in SE Asia. Though it would be near to impossible to find on your own off of the street, the guesthouse has easy and clear directions posted on their website. It is tucked away on the fourth floor of a nondescript building without any signage outside (they're working on it! - which is another story the staff can explain to you). But once you locate, it is a comfortable place to hang out and sleep, with clean bathrooms, dorms, and common areas, is centrally located in the bustling business/social district of Makati, and has great character. The staff are wonderful, helpful, and effuse positive vibes. Though the hostel is more expensive than the rest of SE Asia ($15 for a dorm), you do get more than an average hostel here. I think this is also partly due to the lack of options/choices in Manila (and the Philippines). It is just a path less traveled than say Thailand, Cambodia, etc. Also, a small breakfast is included every morning (toast, jam/jelly, oatmeal, cereal, instant coffee, tea, juice, banana).
The surrounding bars/nightclubs/restaurants play their music quite loud which can be heard inside the hostel. Although it did not affect my rest, light sleepers may find it to be problematic (maybe go for a private room on the interior of the hostel?).
The hostel offers a free tour of Old Manila throughout the week. I'm not very fond of group tours, but I went anyway in order to see other parts of Manila and I was not disappointed. Grace was a great guide and takes pride in showing off her city. Also, throughout the week, she (and other staff) will arrange different social functions. A nice added touch and take it or leave it, no worries, approach.
Ask about this event that happens every Sunday evening night a short jeepney ride away. Live reggae bands, drinks, and a big crowd of locals gathering in a warehouse-like building.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience traveling to the Philippines on a budget in an area where everything seems upscale and expensive as you stay in Our Melting Pot. Our place consists of several private rooms and dorm-type accommodation to suit your budget and need. It is new, modern, peaceful and well-managed and is a relatively manageable distance from the major city attractions and the important places to visit in the greater Manila area. We are at the heart of Makati, the entertainment and financial capital of the Philippines. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and Agoda so you can book your Our Melting Pot reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Our Melting Pot Hotel Makati
- Our Melting Pot Makati, Metro Manila