“Comfortable, Clean, Central, and with Character”
Review of Our Melting Pot

Our Melting Pot
Ranked #3 of 59 Specialty Lodging in Makati
The Road
“Comfortable, Clean, Central, and with Character”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I chose OMP based on its high rating as well as the lack of options in Manila. I am very happy I selected OMP over the slightly cheaper options (that had much lower ratings) because it was one of the nicest hostels I stayed in over the past 3 months in SE Asia. Though it would be near to impossible to find on your own off of the street, the guesthouse has easy and clear directions posted on their website. It is tucked away on the fourth floor of a nondescript building without any signage outside (they're working on it! - which is another story the staff can explain to you). But once you locate, it is a comfortable place to hang out and sleep, with clean bathrooms, dorms, and common areas, is centrally located in the bustling business/social district of Makati, and has great character. The staff are wonderful, helpful, and effuse positive vibes. Though the hostel is more expensive than the rest of SE Asia ($15 for a dorm), you do get more than an average hostel here. I think this is also partly due to the lack of options/choices in Manila (and the Philippines). It is just a path less traveled than say Thailand, Cambodia, etc. Also, a small breakfast is included every morning (toast, jam/jelly, oatmeal, cereal, instant coffee, tea, juice, banana).

Be warned:
The surrounding bars/nightclubs/restaurants play their music quite loud which can be heard inside the hostel. Although it did not affect my rest, light sleepers may find it to be problematic (maybe go for a private room on the interior of the hostel?).

Added bonus:
The hostel offers a free tour of Old Manila throughout the week. I'm not very fond of group tours, but I went anyway in order to see other parts of Manila and I was not disappointed. Grace was a great guide and takes pride in showing off her city. Also, throughout the week, she (and other staff) will arrange different social functions. A nice added touch and take it or leave it, no worries, approach.

Reggae Sunday:
Ask about this event that happens every Sunday evening night a short jeepney ride away. Live reggae bands, drinks, and a big crowd of locals gathering in a warehouse-like building.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank jamesonyingling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed November 30, 2012

First time to explore Makati/Ayala and I needed a cheap, safe and convenient place to stay. The reviews were positive and I thought I'd try it myself. The first time I went there, I was a bit nervous, for I know nothing about the place. I thought I was lost and had a different picture in mind, especially the aluminum gate. So I asked a by-stander and readily, he pointed me to the gate...and yes, I found it. It's on the fourth floor of the building and constructions on floors below are still on going, so I just did not mind them. Finally made it up and found a nice, cool, quite place and friendly welcome from the staff. Most people I saw there were tourist from other countries. The place was homey and clean. Though one cannot see a visible name of the place outside but when you find it, its so easy to navigate around the neighborhood. It's also accessible to jeepneys and taxi cabs, as well as grocery shop, 24/7 stores, pharmacy and restaurants. The second time I checked-in there a few months after, it was much more easy and comfy. The place is very suitable for backpackers and those budget conscious travelers. Just a note to those who are particular with comfort rooms, the place has a "common" comfort rooms but its clean and dry, maintained by the hardworking staff all the time :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank e_lai2011
Dresden, Germany
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I just checked out OMP hostel after a 2- overnight stay.As a pinoy ,I am so proud that Makati or Ph has this kind of cheap and well-maintained place .I've only been to a few hostels around Asia and it was my first time to stay in a hostel in my own country. The location is great and the staffs are very nice.The toilets ,shower rooms and all other areas are impressively clean! The breakfast is the best I've ever had in an Asian hostel ,especially when it comes to quantity.(wink)
Also, there are a lot of good and safe places to dine around the area.Baga Manila ( food hawkers) at A.Venue (across the road)is a great place if you wanna try pinoy food.They are there on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Keep it up, OMP and see you in the future!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank eden r
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed October 8, 2012

best hostel i've seen so far, citytours with the staff are for free and really nice! very nice and friendly atmosphere all around:)
location is in the center of makati, good places to go out all in walking distance.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank MrNice91
Den Helder, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The place is great, clean and accommodating. What every traveller would need, in a quick stop apartment. You would appreciate the people working there for their helpful and trustworthy advice. I call it a place to stay and a place to meet new friends, because you can bond with other travellers and actually know a little bit about them and their adventures, and I think it's kinda cool.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jasper Aurelio V
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2012

A perennial contender for best hostel in Asia, OMP is my favourite place to stay when in Manila for its value and service…

The rooms are ultra clean and comfortable… so too are the showers – I stayed at both the private and dormitory rooms. There is a rooftop terrace where you can stare out into Makati city. Wifi is fast and there are common computers to use. Breakfast is included (consisting of breat/toast, juice, cereal, or instant noodles). Security is excellent – 24-hour security guarding the entrance… and the staff are always there to assist. Lots of money exchange around the corner at very competitive rates.

The part that makes OMP a fun hostel is the different types of travellers who come to the Philippines for the same reason… to have a good time and explore the country and its myriad of islands. Share some of your stories and experiences and there will be some good travel suggestions and advice in exchange from the staff at OMP. The friendly and helpful staff makes the staying experience great value for money.

Location is good with plenty of restaurants, fast food, bars and clubs within walking distance on the busy Makati Avenue. Greenbelt mall is also a short taxi or jeepnyes ride from OMP… where there’s a cinema and great bars/cafes and restaurants about, albeit a bit more pricier than the local eateries. A trip to the world’s largest shopping malls – Malls of Asia (MOA) – would be remiss if in Manila. Alternatively head over to SM North or to Greenhills for bargain and souvenir shopping. An airport taxi ride to OMP is approximately 300-400PHP metered.
The only negative is that getting there can be difficult at first with a lack of signs and indications on the street. However, if you can contact the staff of your arrival they can greet you downstairs (even in the pouring rain)…

My next adventure into the Manila, Philippines will be at OMP!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank stevanlay
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Our Melting Pot Hostel (OMP) is one of the best hostel in the Philippines and Asia. I stayed here 6 days and I felt comfortable. Nice place, nice staffs(specially Grace), clean room and bed, everything is nice. If I visit to Manila again, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo