“Lovely place!”

Ranked #2 of 57 Specialty Lodging in Makati
Brno, Jihomoravsky Kraj, Czech Republic
“Lovely place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

Excellent place in Central Metro Manila with friendly staff. They helped me plan my wee trip into The Cordillera and had excellent suggestions for things to do places to see. Was very welcoming when I came back, felt like a second home :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank SeanMcLem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Mackay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

I stayed here 3 times in my 3 weeks I was in the Philippines, each time the staff remembered who I was and made an effort to make me feel at home or helped me with anything I needed (even drawing me a map of which jeepneys/buses/trains I need to catch to get to places). The hostel is still new so it is a working progress but if it is this good now I can't wait to come back when they have completely finished everything!! All the staff are lively fun people who make the place even better, I never saw one staff member upset or angry no matter how busy it was or how complicated the question was.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank cassiec117
Yamagata, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

I've been meaning to write this review for a while, as I wanted to say thank you to the staff here for being so awesome. I didn't actually stay at OMP, but if I return to Manila I definitely will!

So, my friends and I first visited this hostel on New Year's Eve, as a guy we has met travelling was staying here and we went to see him. We were a bit confused about where the hostel was at first - I'd say that is its one downside, it's located in a side street that at night can feel a bit threatening (particularly travelling in a group of just females). You need to go through a nondescript door and then you enter a slightly grim stairwell. The hostel is a couple of flights up, and on the way you pass what is basically a building site on one of the levels - just a big open space with lots of wires, girders etc scattered about. In the dark, this was a bit eerie. However, once you get to the floor where the hostel is, it's like a totally different place when you step through the door.

We were expecting just to meet our friend and go, but the staff were holding a little party on the roof of the building when we arrived, and although we weren't guests, they invited us to join everyone and were so welcoming. This was our first taste of the hospitality here, and it was very nice. We even joined them all as they walked to central Makati to watch the fireworks.

The next time we came to this hostel was the following week, when we arrived in Manila at about 4 in the morning having taken a night bus from Banaue. We were exhausted and didn't have anywhere to stay. The only place we could think of was OMP, so we made our way there in the hope that maybe they'd let us pay to use a room just for a couple of hours. When we got there, we were let in by a fellow traveller but there was no one on reception so we sat down on the big comfy sofas in the common area to wait ... and of course promptly fell asleep.

We had a lovely sleep here for about four hours, which was exactly what we needed. When people in the hostel started to wake up, we were a bit worried as to how we would explain ourselves just crashing on the sofas with no booking. But the staff were so friendly and understanding, and said it was absolutely fine. They didn't charge us anything, and even offered us the use of the showers. This confirmed what a chilled out, welcoming place this hostel is.

We even got the chance to have a look around - although we didn't stay in one of the rooms, the whole place seemed spotlessly clean and really nicely decorated. It was clear that a lot of thought had gone into creating the hostel, and that the staff took pride in maintaining it.

I wish I'd had the chance to stay here properly, but I am glad I was able to at least see it and meet some of the people staying here and working here. To the staff members - thank you so much for your kindness! And to anyone coming to Manila, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank wanderlust0987
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

I had read a lot of great reviews about this place, and was not disappointed. The staff was really amazing - really helpful even before we reached there. They helped us organize trips to Taal volcano, Pagsanjan falls (got us a reasonable rate to hire a van for 2 days) and gave detailed (and precise!) directions for Intra-muros as well. Each time we needed a taxi or a jeepney, someone came to the street with us and helped us find one. The owner Ron even took us out to his favourite dinner places at night.

The building was a bit hard to find, and not too impressive at first sight but the rest more than made up for it. The place had a great atmosphere and was clean at all times, including the shared bathrooms and washbasins. I stayed (along with 5 other friends) in a 6 bed mixed dorm. We were more than happy with the room - it was cosy and private enough. I would not hesitate to recommend the room even to travellers in groups of less than 6 - each bunk bed has curtains around it for privacy. And the morning breakfast was more than sufficient too! A very homely meal :)

Overall it was a great experience - I have never stayed in a hostel before but was "forced to" coz this was a budget trip - and what a blessing that was! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank pudding37
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

This is one of the best backpacker guesthouses I stayed :)

Some highlights you may find in OMP :
- really friendly and helpful owners and staffs
- extremely clean and well kept environment
- generous free breaky is included every morning :) :) :) bread, cereal and milk, more than 10 choices of assorted jams :D
- private bed curtain in the dormitory is a plus
- nice location, quiet place, safe :) :) :)
- pricelwise .. very reasonable in the business area of Makati
- clean washroom *with tea light candle + essential oils*

They have small cozy lobby, pc for guests. The wifi connection was greatly reached our room.
Met two of OMP owners (Ronald and Liza) and both of them are friendly and helpful. Over my last breaky I had a conversation with Ronald and he shared the visions of setting up the OMP guesthouse, that is to introduce the Philippines through backpackers to the world.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank ppiglet2001
Mount Druitt, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

Friendly staff, for sure! The helped me plan a trip to Cebu and Bohol, but even while I was in Manila, it was a place in which I could feel entertained talking to staff and the other travellers during those times that I was too lazy to go outside. From the outside, it may not meet the eye too well, as it its based on the fourth floor of a building that is under construction, with the first two floors positioned to become a McDonalds. But it is super clean, and again quite friendly. The staff are great to hang out with, and the free breakfast is quite satisfying. Give it a go!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Broseph A
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

We spent a night here in February 2012 and loved it. Manila isn't the nicest city in the world, but this hostel was a great place to stay. Very friendly staff, clean rooms with privacy curtains for all the dorm beds, and free breakfast every morning. Don't be turned off by the look of the building it's in, the hostel itself is great. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends