“still great for the 2nd time”

Artina Suites Hotel
Ranked #25 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Davao City, Philippines
“still great for the 2nd time”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My second stay at artina was as great as the first one. Same procedure, same smiling faces upon check-in till check-out. But i noticed that waiting time during breakfast lessen. I love thier cornbeef and thats what i ordered for 2 mornings at breakfast. The premiere room is so spacious it could accomodate a family. Hope we could stay again on our future visit in Manila.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
hoi an
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Artina Suites are close in proximity to new,evolving developments including Century Mall.The hotel has wonderful,happy,efficient staff who are responsive and attentive.The rooms are very clean and comfy.Breakfast was good....nothing flash but adequate.We had a really comfortable overnight experience and recommend this hotel for a short stay.I feel Artina Suites offers very good value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kawanakids
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We booked through Agoda and got the rate at $46USD/night including breakfast. At that rate, my wife and I thought it's quite a great value.

First and foremost, we thought the staff is courteous and provided excellent service. And it is true through out from front desk, to breakfast restaurant staff, housekeeping, and security. Everyone is pleasant, wears smiles on their faces, and helpful. I don't know what some reviewers expect, but we thought these staff are just as good as the ones in St Regis in Rome, Italy where we paid $400USD/night, if not better.

We had to travel to Palawan and didn't want to bring all the luggages but we aren't coming back to Artina. Yet they agreed to let us store our luggages for free without hesitation. This hotel is not exactly off the main street so taxis don't come in often. The security would have to go to the street and get a cab for us in the heat and they all did it with smiles. And if you know cab drivers in Manila, you know how hard it is to get cabs and sometimes it takes more than one try. But the securities still do it with smiles. We booked Tune Hotel for a night in Manila after coming back from Palawan, we regretted that decision and thought we should have just come back to Artina. They also provided drinking water (filtered, not bottled) upon request.

Free breakfast is great and they offer quite a few Filipino choices. Servers are great especially when they expect nothing. It is made to order, not buffet. And it starts at 6am or 6:30am so still early enough for early risers.

Rooms are decent. Spacious. Bedding is average. AC worked fine for us. Nothing less that what I expected. There are a couple of small things that were damaged or missing but nothing that bothered us. Like a fridge cabinet door didn't close when we checked in. We didn't point it out because it wasn't a big deal. But next day they fixed it "temporarily". Wasn't perfect but it kept the door closed and we were still able to use it. We also had to switch room because we had 2 separate bookings (we were gone for a night). We did notice the room on the side of the street (E. Zobel) is more noisy because of jeepnies that run through it all day.

The not so good.. Hotel is within walking distance to restaurants and business located on Makati Ave. (Hooters,Three Sixty Ave Mall, etc.) It is on a backstreet, though, and there are always locals in the neighborhood hanging out so one might be intimidated. And you have to pass them to get to Makati. Or you take the heavier traffic JP Rizal Ave to Makati Ave. Traffic in that section of Makati Ave also seems to be the worst before you can get to the better part of Makati Ave. Getting a cab is a pain. It may be worth it for some to stay closer to Makati Ave and Ayala Ave.

Another small complaint, we couldn't get an ironing board in good shape. What we had was usable, but could be better.

In summary, we believe we got great values for the rate. Staff and service is excellent. Free breakfast is great and convenient. The only downside is the location. Rooms on the street side can be noisy.

On a personal note, I like the welcome drink. Wife didn't, but not something one should put the hotel down for just because he/she didn't like the taste of the free welcome drink that was given promptly upon arrival...

Room Tip: If you mind street noise, stay away from the side that faces "E. Zobel street".
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gt6707a
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

The room that they gave me did not match the pictures shown in here. It was very old and dirty.

It has 4 rooms, the living room, a weird stock room, bathroom and bedroom. They should not sell this crappy room.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joseph Ricardo I
Makati, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Lobby is nice... but I won't sleep there though.

I don't know where to start my unwise overnight stay at this hotel.

Welcome drink. I simply don't like the flavor (and full of sugar at the bottom).

The room (2/F Room No.4) looks like an old condominium. As I enter the room, I saw this dirty switch board (as in dirty, please see photo). Though quite spacious, its not worth what I paid for. The cabinet is begging for a re-paint. Lots of stains. The floor tiles, clean enough but not for a hotel standard (even for a boutique hotel standard).

Bed. Quite comfy but the mattress is quite old, not as white as I expected. And worse, some parts smells odd.

Comfort Room. Looks clean at first. I inspected the fixtures one by one, until I open the toilet bowl.. and tadahhh.. it has dark water stains!!! Ewww! and it doesn't flush that strong. Toilet amenities looks cheap. And please change the busted knob. Its quality and appearance is not for hotel standards.

Breakfast. Its per plate, not buffet, but their food tastes good.

Lastly, I called up the frontdesk at 11:40AM to request if I could extend until 1PM. Someone picked up the phone, and I said Good Morning and here is the girl suddenly speak and started as if reading a script as if she doesn't want to be interrupted as she reads along. As I remember what she said: "This is to inform you that your check-out time is 12 noon........" and I told her are you done? and she replied "yes sir", I replied "Oh I thought I'm talking to an answering machine." (customer service 101 please)

Anyway, I told her my request of extension, and she asked another girl (maybe her supervisor)... and I clearly heard in Filipino "ay hindi pwede!" in english ("Oh its not possible") in a not nice way. And she grabbed the phone and explained to me. By the way, I took a picture of her for your reference.

Lastly, as I checked-out, no courtesy and a simple Thank you from this supervisor. (Say Hi Ms. Supervisor with your tiger look and not so friendly presence at the front desk)

OVERALL: Its a poor serviced boutique hotel. Too much regret for the 2,200 pesos stay at this hotel. An example of cheap price and cheap hotel.

P.S. And who hates cockroach? They have it in your room! You decide to stay or not.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank terracotta22
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had a last minute online reservation, got the room rate of 2k pesos. Apparently there is no more deluxe room available but on the fourth floor room number 28. I've been in that room before and the air-conditioning unit sucks the last time. Well it still sucks when I arrived in the room. It only cools the one part of the bed, no swing motion. I hope they'll do something about it.

I think they usually give that room to the last minute online bookings. Hmmm.

Also, that night - the girl in the reception is sleeping - I know it's already in the wee hours in the morning but I kind of needed her help. :)

Overall the hotel is decent and clean.

Room Tip: Do not get the room in the 4th floor room number 28 adjacent to the elevator because the air-conditi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ooopppsssydaisy
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The hotel is clean and the furnitures go together. AC and shower are working properly. Spacious room. Nice breakfast. Wifi can't reach the rooms. Mini bar is empty. All in all our stay was comfortable and we got more than what we paid for.

• Stayed May 2014