The Clipper Hotel
Herald Suites Solana(Makati)(Great Value!)
$88
Hotel Durban(Makati)(Great Value!)
$48
$30
  • Restaurant
All reviewsminute taxi rideceiling fanred light districtsingle roomnoisy at nightlarge roomsmall hotelbudget hotelrooms are cleansmall thingsno elevatorwill stay there againair conditioningthe central business districtnight lifestandard roomthe ground floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This place is small but runs like a well oiled large franchise. Themed with a 70s pan am airline feel. The service feels very attentive always with smiles and greeting. We felt very well taken care of. There was a small bit of work being carried out and the owner apologised for any inconvenience and bought me a coke! Breakfast was delish... Shower gel and shampoo already there. Very close to all malls, green hills, power plant, mega mall, Glorietta, mall if Asia etc. was our second stay here and even more impressed this time around. Aircon and cool propeller like fans. Electronic touch less key cards. Near some interesting bars too if your into that kind if thing. Some very nice normal bars around too like howzat sports bar only about 20 steps to get there. I could go on and on. Will definitely be back...awesome.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Bonob
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Small personal boutique hotel with great (and clean!) rooms at fantastic prices. The staff couldn't be more hospitable. The single rooms are brill, themed from the old Pan Am Clipper. Breakfast is tasty.

Walking distance to loads of eateries and a colourful neighbourhood. The hotel has a map of the area with suggestions of some good local places. Heckle & Jeckle is a small local bar with reasonably priced drinks and good indian food around the corner frequented by local expats, especially for sports tv. Also within walking distance is The Buddha Bar for some society watching; pricey.

Taxis readily available everywhere.

Room Tip: If you are a solo traveller, the single rooms are really cool. Personal and friendly service. Can be a bit noisy, but the price more than compensates. Penthouse room coming soon. Splurge and try it out when it is ready.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank S D
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've made The Clipper Hotel my home base for the past two weeks while travelling here for business. Safe, spotless, and the most attentive and solicitous staff you could ever hope to meet -- I doubt you'd get better service even at a 5-star hotel. They were very tolerant of my bringing my local colleagues in and out for meetings during the weekdays and taking over the lobby to use the free wi-fi. The owner is often on the premises -- he even took me along to a nearby open-air market so I could sample the local food and crafts!

As others have noted, the place is just off the main strip of a red-light district, but it's very conveniently located with lots of respectable restaurants and shops, and very close to Rockwell, an upscale area with a large mall, and a quick cab ride away from Greenbelt and the central business district. I plan on visiting Makati regularly, and unless I somehow hit the lottery and can afford to stay in a swank place like the Penninsula, I'll definitely be staying at The Clipper. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights back in August 2012. I was only supposed to stay here for a night but the concert I was to watch got postponed because of the monsoon so I had to book for another night. Thank goodness they had one room left. My original room was worth P1700 and the room I transferred to was P2200. These were big rooms. Not enough body wash and shampoo though.
The receptionists, the guard and the maintenance staff were very accommodating. On my second night, we had the bar all to ourselves. The receptionist made us very welcome and the guard bought some of the goods and drinks for us.
Their wifi was also fast enough.
The hotel, however, is located in what i call the red light district of Makati but it's a good place for backpackers or those who want to save in Makati.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ferdinand L
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We travelled as a couple sometime in September 2011 and stayed here for 3 nights to catch a flight back to Europe.We were definitely surprised at what we've got. We got the standard double room on the ground floor and it was beyond what we expected. We paid around PhP 1300/ night. We wouldnt have gotten the same service in other hotels for the same price. Room was clean and spacious, free WIFI, adequate water pressure and most of all we could surprisingly sleep well at night. Staff was also very accomodating and friendly. Downside is, it's in the middle of the red light district. Since Manila is really expensive for what you get, I' d definitely recommend this hotel to people with tight budget. But if you can afforrd more, there are plenty of options in Manila.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple