“Partly great, partly not so great.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Celeste

Hotel Celeste
Ranked #20 of 79 Hotels in Makati
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Partly great, partly not so great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I'll start by saying I quite enjoyed my stay here. As others have said, it's an oasis in the middle of the Manila mayhem.

My room was 307 - big dining area with table and chairs, a chaise longue, another chair overflowing with cushions, a writing desk.....and all I wanted was a decent iron and ironing board (you have to phone housekeeping for them to bring both to your room, and neither were in great condition).

The bed was very comfortable, the aircon may be a little noisy for light sleepers. Room 307 is facing the main road, so traffic noise may also disturb.

Bathroom was large with a nice rain shower thing and a stand-alone bath. I didn't use the bath (I wonder how many do?).

The towels were past their best - the one used as a floor mat outside the shower was filthy - but nice L'Occitane shower gel etc...!

As others has said, the hotel is in a great location, a very short walk from lots of nice restaurants and a few shopping malls.

I ate twice at "People's Palace", a Thai restaurant at Greenbelt 3. On the first night I tried "Mesa" for some local food, at Greenbelt 5. I recommend both.

If you want to use a taxi it's best to book in advance through the front desk. The hotel doormen do their best but I waited a good 25 minutes until they flagged one down who knew where I wanted to go.

The staff were all great - very helpful and polite.

In summary (and I must stress, just my opinion) - a good hotel for holidaymakers, maybe not so much for business travellers. Whoever put the hotel together seems to have spent their budget on the wrong things (if a business traveller is in mind) - expensive toiletries but old towels, expensive armchair with lots and lots of cushions, but no iron or ironing board. The room has sleeping quarters for two people, but then has a dining table with four large chairs - best use of space/funds?

I'll also stress that I didn't raise any issues with the hotel - road noise, aircon noise, dirty towels. I'm sure they would have done all they could to fix these problems for me.

Sorry, a bit of a mixed review, but hope it helps...

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Lony1976

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The hotel is a small, boutique hotel in a great location in Makati, very close to Greenbelt and Glorietta. Relatively quiet although you can occasionally hear street sounds in the room. I was very impressed with the staff, who were always attentive, efficient and eager to help. The room was very clean and cosy. However, while it tries to be a luxury boutique hotel there are a few points that let it down.. The interiors would have looked quiet luxurious in its heyday when it was brand new, it is starting to show its age in a few places especially the wood panels. The bed was on the firm side and the pillows were too soft, so I wouldn't say I had the most comfortable sleep there. The towels were very TINY and thin, I am quite petite and the towels barely fit me, how do tall guests manage? The breakfast servings were quite small and expensive for its size. Also, because it is such a small hotel it seems tough to get a late checkout approved.

But despite these shortcomings the nightly rate was very reasonable for what you get, so I still recommend this hotel for its location, convenience and staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I usually dont stay in Boutique hotels but this time I made an exception. Boy, was I surprised at the Hotel Celeste. The staff is very friendly and willing to help. Everybody greets you with a smile.
Location is best as it is just across Greenbelt where there are excellent shopping and numerous restaurants.
The rooms are quite large with very classy decors. The twin beds joined into a king bed was very comfortable. Although the bathroom is a smaller than I am used to, it is sufficient for the toilet and a shower stall. The bathroom amenities are from L'Occitane - which is very impressive for this small hotel. At the desk, they have imprinted my name on a couple of paper and envelopes - nice personal touch.
Breakfast was ordered from the menu. Delicious.
Complimentary WIFI is strong even in the rooms.
I would definitely highly recommend people to stay at the Hotel Celeste.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank R_Reyes
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Very nice!! Staff great, rooms big+clean with wifi and food delicious not to mention great location only 2 min walk from greenbelt. The only thing this place lacks is a pool on the roof top..overall I give it a 8/10

• Stayed July 2014
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

There are many nice hotels in this same area. Most are big chains with cookie cutter rooms and huge cold marble lobby's. Hotel Celeste is different. The guest room we stayed in was tastefully done with beautiful appointments. I was told each room is different so can't wait to return and try them all. The location is so convenient. Malls, shopping and restaurants literally across the street. One of the best hotel breakfasts I have had in a long time. It was not a huge spread but everything was quality and delicious. The corned beef, eggs and garlic rice for breakfast started the day off right. Had a chance to try some of their house Italian wine and great 4 cheese pizza. You could taste the different cheeses. Yum! Will be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip to the Philippines. The staff were friendly and helpful. We had breakfast twice and it was good. The bed was very large and pretty comfortable. In one room, the bathroom was a decent size, the other was quite small. Quiet rooms considering its proximity to a busy intersection. Good location for exploring the ritzy mall up the street. Close to the airport, but leave enough time, as the construction can add a lot of time to the trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank jstarr23
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was only staying one night and was told Greenbelt is a must see so wanted something close. This was the nearest reasonably priced, good quality hotel so I gave it a try. For my US$150 per night I was expecting a good hotel and I was impressed. It is small but the rooms are very large and the quality of everything surpassed my expectations. The bed was big and comfortable with enough pillows and cushions for a King. The bathroom was excellent being modern with a great shower and with excellent designer toiletries. You really got the wow factor here. The staff were friendly and there was nothing really I could fault it on. It is genuine four star judged by any standard. My only gripe is there are very limited facilities but seeing as I was only there to sleep and enjoy the surroundings I did not care. There is plenty to do outside.

Room Tip: Any room will do its just great! btw I clicked on the swimming pool but I dont think there is one. I...