I booked this hotel before reading TripAdvisor and was immediately concerned by the bad reviews. So I sent the reservations manager a link to the TripAdvisor site and told her I was looking forward to refuting some of the bad comments. I guess it helped to give the staff a heads up because they were literally falling all over themselves to give us great service.
The four of us stayed at a 2-bedroom, 2 bath unit at this centrally located hotel from Dec.1 - 10. The high floor unit was spacious and fully equipped like a small condominium with washer and dryer. Lots of room in the dining and living room area. Bedrooms were also large and private. We had a great view of the Ayala shopping complex, and because it was the Christmas holiday, we were treated to fireworks displays which we could watch from our windows. Great for entertaining visitors. Order food from one of the local restaurants, leave payment with front desk and they deliver up to our room (much cheaper than room service).
Value: Definitely contact the local office for deals (we emailed alot). It's better than going through the website. We saved about $70 per day. Room service is pricey -- didn't bother with hotel restaurant as there are so many choices right outside the front door.
Location: sits right on top of a bustling shopping area and lots of good dining establishments.
Transportation and traffic: heavy (especially because of the holiday) - we hired a driver and car and the hotel gave out daily vouchers for free in-out parking privileges. Parking was underground and easily accessible with a place for the drivers to wait and watch TV.
Accommodations: Very clean - some replacements necessary - our bedroom curtains had small holes. Shower drain was slow. Good sound-proofing. Restrictions as to the number of visitors -- they don't want you throwing parties in your room, of course. It's seemingly minor but for the life of us, we couldn't open those shampoo and lotion bottles!
Security: Very tight -- guards and dogs. Security desk for visitors. Felt very safe.
Service: Very courteous, quick to respond. Asked for a hairdryer at 1am and got it. My friend was sick and they went to nearby supermarket to purchase and deliver fresh ginger. Clogged toilet and slow shower drain- responded within 5 minutes. Front desk was a little slow, though. Business office folks typed up my fax message because recepient couldn't understand my scribbles and the secretary wouldn't accept a tip.
Spa Services - Maybe got a rookie but received the worst massage service there --complained and management was quick to give us another complimentary one -- this time with a better masseuse. Be wary of sob stories -- we got the same ones from different people --I guess a ploy for a larger tip? They have one-on-one pilates and weight training -- which my sisters did and liked the personal trainers.
Breakfast buffet - typical but pricey. We had 2 complimentary each day with our stay but $16 for extra person.
Downside - for some reason, they decided to fumigate our apartment during our stay. (Didn't see any bugs). Luckily we were gone early and did not return till late. Curious--they should have waited until we departed.
Lastly, as I am very familiar with the culture, I've been told that sometimes the locals are not treated as well as Caucasians-- a reverse discrimination if you will, or colonial mentality. For the record, we had Filipinos in our party and we were all equally well-treated. As far as our personal experience goes, I would put that notion to rest.
Note: While we were there, we received notice that Oakwood had been purchased by a Singapore(?) group (can't remember), so things may change a bit.
Overall: Yes, I could find less expensive accommodations but the service and location makes up for the few extra dollars. I definitely will stay there again and have already referred this hotel to my friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indulge in one of cosmopolitan Manila's most luxurious serviced apartments - Ascott Makati, which is designed exclusively for international business executives and their families. Ascott Makati recently unveiled its new Suites that are even grander and more opulent featuring a contemporary look that exudes warmth and sophistication. The property meets your every need from world-class services to lavish facilities that are well-appointed, extensive and personalised, complementing the elegance and refinement of the spacious residences in an exclusive city sanctuary, so that you may enjoy your overseas assignment, leisure vacation or relocation. Strategically located within Ascott Makati's prime business district and surrounded by restaurants, entertainment and shopping complexes, you can relish the renowned Ascott lifestyle amidst the pulsating energy of this dynamic city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Travel Book Philippines, Inc. so you can book your Ascott Makati reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ascott Makati Hotel Makati
- Ascott Makati Metro Manila