“First impressions great, but actually not so brilliant”
Review of The A.Venue Hotel

The A.Venue Hotel
Ranked #35 of 82 Hotels in Makati
“First impressions great, but actually not so brilliant”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 6 days, lovely room with good amenities, friendly staff also, could not open the curtains for daylight, and you can hear everything in the corridors but overall good.
Great location with lots of restaurants near by and a market in the car park opposite.
Gym had all the equipment you needed, however could do with better a/c, my friend and I avoided it as it was way too hot
The pool itself was nice, lost the sun by lunch time though due to high rise, and the staff around the pool area were rather unprofessional, myself and my friend are both young and blonde and groups of 5/6 workers would just come and watch us, surely they had a job to be doing?! Have stayed in many hotels in the philippines and this was the first experience of this, be a bit more discreet!! All the other staff were great however would not return to this hotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is in good location near the night marker and the grocery store. They have a nice room and bed nice comfort room but... Its a lot of noise from outsidr the room ehich you can here from the inside. When we arrived at our room we were happy to see how nice it is but again i found a toothpick on the bed, why would a toothpick be on bed if its newly changed? Did someone use it and left it there? Is that what housekeeping does? Management make sure you have a good staff.

• Stayed July 2013
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed in one of their studio rooms, availing of their promos which they have more often than the usual hotel. As a couple, we didn't mind the studio size, but appreciated the well-made sheets and strong air-conditioning. Service was prompt and complete. Rooms are clean and well-maintained. Their larger rooms are great for families as these feature a small living room and a wireless internet connection is standard and readily available. We spent most of our time in the room and didn't go outside very often. Despite ongoing construction behind the hotel building, we were able to get some sound sleep. The breakfast selection is fair, and the dining area is spacious.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Used this hotel for one night as a transit hotel after a dive trip to the Visayas and Palau. From my experience of only one night I would probably give it 3.5 pips and a 'good' rating. The Hotel took about 45 minutes to reach from the airport and seems to be right in the centre of the city.

The rooms were very spacious and clean with a separate sitting room, kitchenette and mini bar which would be ideal for a longer stay.

The staff were very helpful but as my stay was so brief I cannot comment on the facilities like the Spa or Pool.Be aware that you will need three thousand pesos as a room deposit, I didn't feel comfortable putting this depsoit on my credit card for such a brief visit.

I couldn't get any hot water out of the shower the next morning which was a pain but I was in a rush to leave so just put up with it.

All in all good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank pfcsharky
Canberra
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Length of stay - 2 July - 9 July 2013. 3 people.

First night - 3rd bed not made up, had to contact house keeping - 45 mins wait. Second night - doof doof band outside in the forecourt. No - a slip of paper under the door advising of the event does not make the noise easier for patrons.

Third day - could only get TWO towels at the pool, despite paying for 3 people in the room. Those two towels were damp and one had fresh blood stains, where they had obviously been folded after their last use.

Breakfast - bad. The cold meat platter was unchanged for the first 4 days of our stay. The meat was dried and curling up. The cheese platter was dried and just ugly. The toaster didn't work and the juice was out of a can (saw the staff refilling the dispenser).

Fourth night - another doof doof band and another slip under the door.

By now, I was Googling somewhere else to stay.

The power cord into the hair dryer was sticky taped together. Requests for ice to the room - good luck with that.

After the 4th night, we requested to be moved to another room. Initially our request was met with confusion. Noise? we are sorry, but not our problem. I pushed back and got a room change - to across the hall??

I have travelled extensively in SE Asia and I know value for money. We did not get it here.

The only good part of this experience were the staff who opened the front doors, always smiling, always pleasant. The bad parts were too many.

Summary - never again will I stay here. We (three women) were looking for the Spa and Serenity advertised and got noise and disruption.

Room Tip: Just dont stay here. Pay the extra $$$ and go some where else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
AntelHotel, Manager at The A.Venue Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
We would like to extend our sincerest apology, we will review your feedback and assure that proper actions and improvements will be done.

Travelers are raving about these Makati hotels

Philippines
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Superb accomodation! Great room, very comfortable & spacious. The view from the window is great. I enjoy my stay. Probably management should station a bellhop/bellboy at the entrance. I personally experience it that no bellhop/bellboy ever helped me with my luggage when I entered the hotel premises to check-in, I expect that kind of services on a luxurious hotel like Antel Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Before I start to describe this place; remember two things: I booked short-notice and was paying 65$ a night, and you are in the Philippines, not the USA.

Pros: Spacious room with a decent view. The hotel has a covered outdoor pool, and an uncovered one. So if you don't want a tan, but want a nice swim, you can do that. The breakfast was decent for $65 a night, it was a simple buffet, but at least it changed from day to day.

The location is good because it's not too crazy coming out of the door (i.e. getting mobbed by street vendors or a mass of pedestrians), and you have this small bazar/street food area right next to the hotel which is clean and peaceful. You can walk to many bars if that's you things, restaurants, or even take a longer walk to the nice parts of Makati.

The staff work with you, not against you.

Cons: This is mostly typical Filipino stuff. The bell-man is incapable of making sure that the taxis he summons turn on their meter. I had to get out of several taxis right out of the door because of the typical Filipino "Yes Sir, Yes Sir....uh, Sir...it's too expensive, blah blah" stories from the taxi drivers when they would not turn on the meter. Just open the door, and get out, there's no logical discussions with these people.

The wifi is bad, really bad. They have a system where you use a portal page to log into the wifi network instead of just giving out the wifi password and it's screwed up. They only have one router per floor and it's definitely not enough. You will have serious problems checking email or using google maps. They do have a really good internet cafe though, so you can do your business and it even has a good printer.

The taxis can't find this place, but you know what, the taxis in Manila typically suck anyway. There I said it, they are bad. They could not find this place, they could not find other tourist destinations, and worst of all, they are dis-honest in a quintessentially Filipino way, i.e. they will say "Yes Sir" and really, they mean "I haven't a clue where to go, but I want to make as much money off your but as possible". I don't mind if a man is honest and says, "Sir, I don't know where the hotel is exactly, I can take you to Makati, but I'm not 100% sure of the location."

One of these taxi drivers dropped me and my family off half a mile from our destination after the dishonest POS said "oh yeah, here it is". We had to ask around like a bunch of fools.

Therefore, bring a printed map to find this place. It's not that hard with a map, it's just that the taxi drivers are not good. To the hotel's credit, they have a great sign placed on Makati Ave. so the drivers should not miss it.

65$ a night, for a room this nice, breakfast this good, and a decent staff...sounds good to me.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple