“Bad service ruins an otherwise nice hotel”
Review of The A.Venue Hotel

The A.Venue Hotel
Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at Antel Hotel – Serenity Tower from (April 11 to 18). This hotel is right smack in the middle of a busy stretch of Makati Avenue, specifically behind the A.Venue hotspot, so it's perfect for people who want to be in the middle of the action (or the nightlife).

The hotel is quite new evident in its modern interior and trimmings. But what struck me the most were three things: (1) its lack of warmth and personality (as flat and dry as they come); (2) cold, unfriendly staff and; (3) poor, poor service.

We got a one-bedroom unit which was very tiny for the price we paid. The walls were painted gray so I was thankful for the fuchsia living room sofa and apple green bedroom chair for that little splash of color in an otherwise dreary environment.

As for the "poor, poor service", here is a series of whys: One night, my nephews stayed over and we requested for an extra bed (which was P 1,500) at almost 12 midnight. The bed arrived at 8 in the morning!!! And that was after countless follow ups and calls. There was no apology offered afterwards, except when we called their attention to what happened.

On our way to an out-of-town trip, we specifically requested for a cleanup and left the "make up my room" door hanger outside to make sure. When we came back a day after, guess what? The room was left untouched.

I also requested for my room's Wi-Fi access ID and password (because it expired after 3 days). I had to call the reception 3 times to get it because they kept on telling me they'd just call me back. This simple/basic request wasn't met until after about 30 minutes.

That's how lousy their service was.

But this incident takes the cake. On the day my husband checked out (he left a day earlier), he went to the business center to have two pages of documents printed. He was told to go to another floor (I forget which one) because the business center was not working properly at that time. When he went there, a female hotel staff rudely dismissed him by saying he's not supposed to be on that floor, as if reprimanding her driver and not talking to a hotel guest! Oh and she didn't offer any help.

Their front desk people also need to learn a thing or two about real hospitality. Whenever I passed by them on my way in or out, I always made it a point to greet them. They never looked my way or greeted me back. And I noticed that they were like this to most of the guests, as if we're more of a nuisance than clients. Wow. Just really wow.

This is so sad considering that this hotel has a lot of potential, with its location and comprehensive facilities. However, this quality of service and untrained, ineffective staff would not only turn off guests but would make most disgusted and appalled.

But for people who are still interested in staying in this hotel, here are some factors (which I haven't discussed yet) that might help in your decision. But remember, you've already been warned about the overall quality of service!

• Location is great; also just 30 to 45 minutes away from the international airport
• Cab: Not a problem because there's almost always one or two passing by or waiting outside.
• Restaurants in the area are aplenty (from affordable to expensive choices)
• Bathroom: Just the right size but I love the rain shower. I have to note that the sink is very low (and I'm average height) so I needed to slouch lower whenever I used it.
• Bed was super comfy
• Free Wi-fi but sluggish Internet; sometimes, there's no connection in some areas of the room
• SM supermarket in front of the building for grocery shopping
• Mercury Drugstore and Watson (a few feet away) and 7-Eleven (in the same building)
• Swimming Pools: 4 swimming pools (total) on the 5th floor shared by the 3 towers/hotels (Antel Spa, Serenity and A.Venue); 1 infinity pool
• Relatively new room furniture
• Quiet inside the hotel so you can relax; once you step out, the area is pulsating with life
• Hallways can get very hot without proper AC and ventilation
• 32-inch LCD TV in the living room and a smaller one in the bedroom

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel because of its poor service, price and overall lack of staff hospitality. I really hope they learn to be good to their guests who are basically their bread and butter.

Room Tip: Get a room at Serenity Tower because it's the newest of the three adjoining hotels.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heimlich01

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were booked here after our previous booking at another place fell through. We were booked into a 2 bedroom which unfortunately did not accommodate our needs. (4 people) We tried to change rooms or even get another room but staff were totally unhelpful. Breakfast was supposed to be included but only 2 of us were allowed to dine. When we asked the staff to rectify this they flatly refused. We know this wasn't our first choice but maybe if they had been a little more accommodating then experience would not have been so bad.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kiri M
AntelHotel, Manager at The A.Venue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Please accept our sincerest apology, we will definitely act on this to assure that such concern will not happen again. we are still hoping that you will still consider staying with us and allow us to recover by offering a much better service.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Where to begin. The first room I was given faced a loud outdoor block party which the flimsy windows did nothing to block out; I was later told it was a daily event which lasts until 1AM. Upon request they changed me to a room in the other tower - clearly, they were first trying to see if I would put up with the bad tower - which was certainly quieter, but faced a construction site maybe 15 meters away from the window, and which I could hear very well in the morning... other issues which normally would be high on my list of negatives are poor water pressure in the shower, badly functioning toilet flush, difficulty signing into the internet (and very slow when I did), dark and gloomy dining room and poor quality breakfast, no channels playing when TV is switched on (as if the cable was disconnected), scratchy sheets... enough said.

Room Tip: Ask for the quiet tower away from the street party!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank HKGNYC
Reviewed May 3, 2013

After checking into a 2 bedroom executive (more like a dog box) for 3 adults and 1 child, we were taken to our room which had graffiti on the walls, cockroaches in the bathroom and water leaks on the ceiling only to find the rooms did not accommodate our needs. The following morning breakfast was for only 2 persons and not 4 and when swimming only 2 towels were supplied for the pool area. Checking in for 4 people @ Best Western they could only cater for 2 people, why? Would not recommend the hotel at all!!!!!!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tina f
Reviewed May 3, 2013

as many of you know i switched from the DUSIT THANI to the BEST WESTERN ANTEL earlier this year . the dusit thani is overpriced and needs a renovation.if you wish to stay in greenbelt you might want to consider the newly opened HOLIDAY INN in attached to GREENBELT. the holiday inn is open but still is in NEWLY OPENED GROWING PAINS.i will write a review of that property next. even when the HOLIDYAY INN straightens itself for my money i still prefer the BEST WESTERN ANTEL. lets get locations clear between the two ends of makati ave. location alone might decide your hotel decision. the dusit thani, new world , holiday inn are all in the greenbelt area. the BEST WESTERN anchors the OPPOSITE end of makati ave.. the distance is approx 2 miles in either direction. you can walk between the two ends in 35 minutes and it is a pleasant walk. i ususally walk in one direction and take a taxi back. the taxi ride is approx 70 pesos and takes under 10 mintues. considering all this i still prefer the BEST WESTERN and here are my reasons.
1. BEST WESTEN is value . the one bedroom suites are new and somewhat small but larger than a typical hotel room
2. the staff at the best western is excellent. security is excellent. every staff member from the front door security to the front desk to engineering is polite and courteous with a CAN DO ATTITUDE.
3. the reservations staff is prompt and replies to emails and requests in an efficient manner. you can be assured your rerservation is properly handled.
4 the BEST WESTERN is set back from makati ave. and thus has less traffic noise and is somewhat serene with the MANILA city noise.
5. the SM market place is next door. great to get groceries.
6. there is now a small outdoor market at night which provides GREAT local night market food . there is also some kind of free entertainment nightly.
7. the wireless internet which was balky and slow now works without a hitch.
there are some inconsistencies that i wish to mention. my bedframe was broken, the hot water heater was broken. my couch was broken... the refridgerator was not working. these are details that housekeeping should be trained to inspect and report BEFORE a guest check in. the UPSIDE is that when reported, engineering responded quickly and all was fixed propery within 60 minutes.
the other downfall of BEST WESTERN continues to be the BREAKFAST BUFFET. what a disappointment. there is NO EXCUSE for the deplorable breakfast that is offered. this was reported in my last review and still is not acceptable. food is brought in from SOMEWHERE else in trays with plastic covers and sits around until the HOT BINS are empty. the burners on the buffet bins are NOT adequete to keep food warm. BE AWARE. the offerins are MINIMAL an quite franky are of the lowest quality. to be fair , there is a EGG STATION with eggs prepared the way you want them, there is ONE KIND OF FRUIT of LOW QUALITY. there is cereal with WARM MILK.....what price CONVIENENCE?....take the room without the breakfast add on unless you are prepared to CHOOSE WISELY knowing in advance this is NOT a decent breakfast buffet.
still yet, if you want VALUE for your room and enjoy makati ave. i would suggest you book the BEST WESTERN. it is my HOTEL OF CHOICE in MAKATI

Room Tip: try to book a room facing makati ave. the back side of the SERENTIY SUITES has a construction site t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank pilot_808
Reviewed May 1, 2013

visited in April and staye don a residence floor 27. this gave us access to an infinity pool on the 31st floor, which had breathtaking views! there are also available two gyms and a further two pools all allocated on lower floors. the spa is one below and a definet must!! i had a pedicure which took 90 minutes for £3.50!!! the beauticians really work hard! visited the restraunt briefly for a few beers which were expensive but thats in comparison to the seven eleven price, which is right on the left of the main entrance. the hotel itself is next door to the A.Venue Mall, so there are plenty of places close by to eat, and all taxi drivers know it all you need to say is Best Wester, by Avenue Mall on Makati Avenue. The apartment inside was comfortably furnished, air conditioning and the bedroom had fantastic views with a huge glass window! i would reccomend this hotel and would stay again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel because of its proximity from airport. It is located in Makati, which is a 15-20 min ride from airport during moderate traffic. My stay here was really good. The rooms are clean, and quiet. This hotel has two towers, one for residential and one for hotel, the front desk will tell you which you are staying in, and arrange for you luggage to be taken to your room. The amenities include a pool, gym, restaurant and spa. I had a chance to use the spa facilities and received the most wonderful treatment there. The girls were very pleasant and accommodating. Prices very reasonable. The hotel is located across the street from a supermarket and next door to a 7-eleven, which is very convenient if you get a one bedroom suite (it includes a kitchenette). My only complain is that during lunch I tried to order room service and found out the most items on the menu that I wanted to order were not available. Overall, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick the one bedroom suite and take advantage of having the kitchenette and a supermarket across the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo