We stayed at Antel Hotel – Serenity Tower from (April 11 to 18). This hotel is right smack in the middle of a busy stretch of Makati Avenue, specifically behind the A.Venue hotspot, so it's perfect for people who want to be in the middle of the action (or the nightlife).
The hotel is quite new evident in its modern interior and trimmings. But what struck me the most were three things: (1) its lack of warmth and personality (as flat and dry as they come); (2) cold, unfriendly staff and; (3) poor, poor service.
We got a one-bedroom unit which was very tiny for the price we paid. The walls were painted gray so I was thankful for the fuchsia living room sofa and apple green bedroom chair for that little splash of color in an otherwise dreary environment.
As for the "poor, poor service", here is a series of whys: One night, my nephews stayed over and we requested for an extra bed (which was P 1,500) at almost 12 midnight. The bed arrived at 8 in the morning!!! And that was after countless follow ups and calls. There was no apology offered afterwards, except when we called their attention to what happened.
On our way to an out-of-town trip, we specifically requested for a cleanup and left the "make up my room" door hanger outside to make sure. When we came back a day after, guess what? The room was left untouched.
I also requested for my room's Wi-Fi access ID and password (because it expired after 3 days). I had to call the reception 3 times to get it because they kept on telling me they'd just call me back. This simple/basic request wasn't met until after about 30 minutes.
That's how lousy their service was.
But this incident takes the cake. On the day my husband checked out (he left a day earlier), he went to the business center to have two pages of documents printed. He was told to go to another floor (I forget which one) because the business center was not working properly at that time. When he went there, a female hotel staff rudely dismissed him by saying he's not supposed to be on that floor, as if reprimanding her driver and not talking to a hotel guest! Oh and she didn't offer any help.
Their front desk people also need to learn a thing or two about real hospitality. Whenever I passed by them on my way in or out, I always made it a point to greet them. They never looked my way or greeted me back. And I noticed that they were like this to most of the guests, as if we're more of a nuisance than clients. Wow. Just really wow.
This is so sad considering that this hotel has a lot of potential, with its location and comprehensive facilities. However, this quality of service and untrained, ineffective staff would not only turn off guests but would make most disgusted and appalled.
But for people who are still interested in staying in this hotel, here are some factors (which I haven't discussed yet) that might help in your decision. But remember, you've already been warned about the overall quality of service!
• Location is great; also just 30 to 45 minutes away from the international airport
• Cab: Not a problem because there's almost always one or two passing by or waiting outside.
• Restaurants in the area are aplenty (from affordable to expensive choices)
• Bathroom: Just the right size but I love the rain shower. I have to note that the sink is very low (and I'm average height) so I needed to slouch lower whenever I used it.
• Bed was super comfy
• Free Wi-fi but sluggish Internet; sometimes, there's no connection in some areas of the room
• SM supermarket in front of the building for grocery shopping
• Mercury Drugstore and Watson (a few feet away) and 7-Eleven (in the same building)
• Swimming Pools: 4 swimming pools (total) on the 5th floor shared by the 3 towers/hotels (Antel Spa, Serenity and A.Venue); 1 infinity pool
• Relatively new room furniture
• Quiet inside the hotel so you can relax; once you step out, the area is pulsating with life
• Hallways can get very hot without proper AC and ventilation
• 32-inch LCD TV in the living room and a smaller one in the bedroom
Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel because of its poor service, price and overall lack of staff hospitality. I really hope they learn to be good to their guests who are basically their bread and butter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The A.Venue Hotel is your home from home at the heart of the cosmopolitan and business district of Makati City, offering all suites in its three (3) distinct towers: A.Venue Suites, Antel Spa, and Serenity Tower with FREE Wi-Fi, kitchenette that includes a microwave, electronic kettle, a sink, dining table and more. The hotel has the largest pool, with infinity and kiddie pool, and also has the largest parking space that is very important in the area. All are suite rooms, with a receiving area that is suitable either for business or leisure purposes equipped with flat screen TV, DVD player, Ipod dock, and working desk. The private bathrooms feature a bathtub and walk-in shower. The A.Venue Hotel Hotel offers premium and personalized massage services from Toccare Spa equipped with steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi and semi-precious stone themed VIP rooms. For healthy lifestyle routines, the hotel also offers two (2) fully equipped fitness centers, a game room for adults and a playground for kids. Guests can enjoy the convenience of room service, or dine at two stylish restaurants in the hotel: Azzurro Restaurante Mediterraneo, which serves Mediterranean dishes plus features a KTV room; Granvia Cafe that offers Western and modern local cuisine that also operates in the pool bar. The hotel is just few steps away from A. Venue Mall and Century City Mall, it also provides a free shuttle service and has a taxi bay for guests to visit Glorietta Mall, a 20-minute drive away. Ayala Museum is 10-minute drive away, while Ninoy Aquino International Airport is only a 30-minute drive away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Travel Book Philippines, Inc. and Evoline ltd so you can book your The A.Venue Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The A.Venue Hotel Makati, Metro Manila