“budget traveller”

Ranked #74 of 82 Hotels in Makati
trivandrum
“budget traveller”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

if you are a budget traveller and want to have a good place just to sleep, this is the ideal one for you. the room i stayed did not have any windows and once you switch off the lights its just pitch dark or black... land mark is a problem as taxi drivers find it difficult, finally the lady i met at the pub helped me with the direction, delarosa street it is but always keep the hotel visiting card with you. there is a safety box inside the room and guest friendly too till 9. anyways worth for budget travellers.

Room Tip: nothing much...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank bangcock
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you sir for being objective on your review. You are our -text book- case -- you have said it exactly the way we envisioned our inn. A good quiet place to,sleep amidst the city noise for a fair price. Nothing more, it's not the Ritz, but all conveniences are indeed included in the price you pay. No rip offs here but no glamorous appendages either!

Cheers kind sir!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
HAWAII
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Tiny rooms, I can hear the people in the room next door, didn't sleep too well. I was extremely irritated that the laundry was not cleaned well for example the towels smelled like a wet dog. I went and bought my own towels to use there. No landmark, need better directions. The control to enter is fine however it took a couple of tries on the door before entering. Not comfortable over all...this is a 1-2 star inn.

(GENERAL MANAGER) I noticed the General Manager's (MZINNS) recent responses to unsatisfied customers. Being affiliated in the hotel and restaurant business for many years, the customer is always right and I think the GM needs to stop taking things personally and just strive to improve no matter what or let someone with a more professional attitude take over MZINNS job.

Room Tip: There are better and numerous more options in the area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank medjugorje2000
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Yes, we are a budget category inn, never pretended to be anything else but.
Rooms are small but has everything in it for the price paid- bidet, cable tv, DVD, as many movies free, aircon, hot running water, etc.,,etc. the noise emanates from the halls where arriving guests inconsiderately laugh or,talk loudly, ignoring all signs to please observe silence,since others are sleeping. Traffic noise is already corrected by total sealed blacked,out windows offering no views In favor of a quieter room.

The only thing I can learn from your review is about the towels. While,I can't see how this happened because we have a centralized laundry so pretty hard to miss a towel not washed properly-- all towels and linen are air and sun dried on a line on a rooftop unless rainy, then we have driers... The sun UV rays kills odors neatly. So am at a loss how this,happened but will look into it. We stopped downy fabric softener in the wash cycle so if you mean the towels are not IMPREGNATED with scent, then yes. But we have a linen spray which is final finish when the towels and beddings in place inside the room. A citrus lemon scent. Will see if this is the problem but I doubt it.

All the other items mentioned, location, landmarks etc, are out of our ability,to improve. A 2-star budget inn is indeed is what we are. Our occupancy is 80% in spite,of the number of bad reviews which proves some accept the 2 star surroundings. Why they continue to check in in spite of the supremely low ranking we have on this site and the numerous complaints is beyond my comprehension. I'm thankful for sure, that not all people believe everything they read online and willing to try for themselves if its indeed so bad...

Lastly, I take it as a compliment when you say I, the GM, take my work personally. I wouldn't know how to do it otherwise. I'm glad you recognize how personal I make every review from all guests because I take serious pride in my work. Its easy to discern when a guest is being merely difficult or is indeed totally disgruntled with our product. In your case, you're sincerely not happy with what you experienced and nothing I can do to improve will change it-- I've learned too over the years that we accept our shortcomings -- I refer to those that cannot be improved on, fix the things that can be, and move on.

Good luck to you and thanks for taking the time to remind me that my personal involvement with my work is still very apparent and present after 25 years of innkeeping. The day when no one notices how personal I take a complaint is the day I quit and check out of work for good. For a while there I thought I was losing the passion and fun of it all. Apparently not.

Thank you and Cheers!

Travelers are raving about these Makati hotels

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I booked a room in this inn twice. It's very near the Philippine Orthopedic Institute where I have an appointment. The first visit was perfectly okay. The receptionist was very accommodating and nice. I checked in very early in the morning and it's great that there wasn't any hassle whatsoever. The bed in my room is good for two people which is welcome even if I checked in alone. The room was windowless but this is fine since there's no view outside anyway. This I believe is an intentional feature to minimize noise coming from the outside.

My second visit is not that okay. This time I'm with my girlfriend, I checked in around 12 noon. The counter has a sign which indicates that they accept major credit cards for payment. I booked a room because I have another appointment with my therapist. I needed it for only 12 hours, since paying for a whole day doesn't make any sense as I have to leave around 7pm because I have to work at 8pm. When I asked my girlfriend if she's going to use her cc, the front desk personnel asked whom I recall is named Cecille, "What card?" in a very condescending tone. I said credit card and again she used the same smug tone and announced “No, no, we don't accept card payment for promos”. She referred to the 12 hour stay as a promo although it's not indicated anywhere in the premises that indeed it was. But hey she’s the employee and I’m only a lowly guest, so I took her word for it. I could have argued, but I was tired and I really needed to sleep.

The accommodation itself is okay for its price. I just can't help but be annoyed with the front desk personnel. There's no reason to be smug since she's working in the hospitality industry. She must be tired of her job. It’s sad that her singular unacceptable behavior can pull down the overall performance of the property. And please, if there are limitations, say to using credit card for payment, put up visible notice/signs or at least include information in your flyers and/or website.
I expect the general manager to respond and maybe defend his employee. But even if this were an isolated case, it’s still unacceptable.
There's a very big possibility that I'll book another room in the future, but I'll make sure the receptionist is the nice one, otherwise

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank master t
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Cecile can't recall your specific instance but you are right in saying its unacceptable if she was rude. Furthermore, we do not merely defend a wrong doing by denial-- we learn from it. In this instance no defense is necessary. A sincere apology if she indeed treated you rudely.

Please know the side of the counter where she stands is the most pressurized spot in the entire hotel. Fully 90 percent of all full blown problems begin at this transaction point. A trivial mistake such as a failure to take a wake up call instruction correctly resulting in a missed flight for example is how such a small detail can wreck havoc in house! Then,too, December months are busy and all Staff had to render 12 hour shifts with shortened days off to accommodate staff vacations not to mention personal family Christmas events. It's s busy tiring time and patience can be drawn thin. What's more, the Front Desk staff do not have the luxury of hiding behind a desk when things get bad and they need a breather. They have to stand there, up front, representing the inn, enforcing policy, being harassed by Management to do a good job too!

Perhaps you will understand how pressure can affect us all and I suspect you your good self have at sometime caved in to pressure at your work as well. True, you said it-- it's no excuse and as we state here, our apologies and hope this will encourage you to come back and stay with us again! Cecile does not remember the incident at all so if you check in with her, please don't think she will be singling you out for special treatment, she won't.. She will just be her usual self.

Please stay with us again in 2013 and have a prosperous year ahead! Best regards.

Guam
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Nice security feature having to buzz in to enter second floor hotel. Pleasing staff. Room was big enough. Didn't care for their restaurant food, looks and taste, totally different. Free WiFi using given user name and password, but always had to let hotel desk to re-activate service. Inconvenient when you want to use it in the middle of the night while in bed. Beds are futons on plyboard, it's okay. One hard one soft pillow. T.V. only offered Filipino channels. Now the kicker....Even if you don't want your room serviced, I know a staff goes in when your not there to shut off A/C and unplug any cords still in the sockets. Who knows what else they did in the room when I wasn't there, I booked stay for five days. I used the plastic cup in the room, I know it wasn't cracked, nor did I drop it, but after room service, I was informed and was shown, after it wad washed and placed back in the tray, that it was cracked and I was charged 100P for it. Either inspect or just don't use. Any stain on beddings and towels, you will be charged if stain doesn't come out. And each incoming shift staff will remind you about it, it was frustrating. Coming from Global City, easier to get back to hotel when you tell taxi to drop you on Chino Roces off of Gil Puyat, then can guide them towards 7-11, hotel next building over, tried telling taxi to drop off on Dela Rosa and ended up going in circles

Room Tip: Loved the fact that individual beds for three was offered, didn't feel cramped.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank rocnrik
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
The Other Side of the Coin :

You said-- You loved the second security doors... Great! Previous reviews don't like added security. Goes to show you can't please everybody. You said-- Pleasing staff and gave highest marks for service. Wonderful! Thank you.

You said Free WI-FI in public areas, but lying in bed inconvenient to keep getting a password daily. Well actually, you're not supposed to access it free in the rooms. If you are able to, it's a slow degraded signal; that's why we have LAN hard wired rooms for nominal fee. But of course the password changes automatically. The computer clock rolls over at midnight resetting the system, to clear days activity. It's done precisely to keep the free broadband from slowing down and keep the software clear from too much clutter with old passwords and usage data in memory.

If we didn't reset, our Doctors offices beneath us would cannibalize our free broadband reserved for guests in our lobby/ coffee shop. Then too, our neighbors open air bar and grill customers right beside us could,get our signal for free.

Filipino channels only you said? Impossible and very not true. Sky Cable TV boasts of over 70 channels. What's more, we have DVD players in room and give unlimited Free Unlimited DVD movies for you to simply borrow with no fee, no deposits . We know exactly who you are and know you had two adolescent teens in your party-- MTV and HBO is standard fare for teens so its a likelihood they watched more than just Filipino Channels... And if it were so, that only Filipino channels were showing, a simple call to the desk would have fixed that.

You did not care for,our food? Well, somelike it hot, some like it cold, more pepper for some, still others more salt, less this or that. With over 20,000 meals served per year-- the figure is a lot more than that actually, I suppose we're bound to run into someone whose preferences differ. We cook everything from scratch at our commissary, down to bread, pasta, even the chips on your burger are fresh-- nothing canned.

You mentioned a taxi driver gave you a hard time returning to the inn. Superfluous and immaterial to your complaint. We have no control over external items. This only serves to exaggerate how bad your stay was. You stayed 5 days and 4 nights. If we were all that bad, it is common knowledge that there are numerous inns and hotels literally all within 3 minutes from us. You could have simply walked out and taken a room elsewhere. But yet you chose in fact to stay on....

You complained that we enter your room to clean wether you asked for it or not. You also mentioned we turn off air cons, unplug anything left on. This is standard hotel practice all over the world, most especially in short-stay city hotels...

Dear Readers-- people check in for many reasons. Makati Medical Center for example is only 200meters away so we often get visitors of sick people staying with us. A call may come in alerting the guest their sick relative has taken a turn for the worse so they rush out leaving everything turned on and/or plugged in. Some people come to Manila to see long lost friends and such, so they're excited and very forgetful of Where they are and in unfamiliar territory, very forgetful of things they normally would or shouldnt do in their own homes.

The scenarios are endless but suffice it to say, we've had a water pitcher heater on top of an in-room refrigerator left plugged which melted all the way through the ref causing a 2 bell fire alarm. On another occasion, A personal DVD player belonging to a guest with built-in foldable screen was plugged in and left lying on top of the bed causing the mattress to flame on, giving us all a frightfully smokey fire scare. It is for this event that we added a DVD amenity to the room so guests wouldn't unpack their own.

A small precaution to safeguard not only your belongings, but the very lives of others in the hotel. How would you like it if someone in the next room left a laptop or cellphone plugged in and it caused the floor to burn, and you came back to find your belongings destroyed due to someone else's carelessness?

Lastly you said-- Who knows what else they did in the rom, when I wasn't there...
It needs a bit of a vivid imagination to think what you're referring to. But let's just say, if a cleaner wanted to do any mischief in a room he/she would have merely used a vacant room... why even bother risk raising the suspicion of a guest. Plus a housekeeping supervisor accompany the crew so its pretty hard to do anything but their jobs under a mindful watch.

You did not complain of any belongings missing or tampered with so... What else could we be Doing in your room except cleaning it?

Our Side Of The Story :

On your 1st Night : Your adolescents sport colorful dyed hairdos. On night no. one, they stained two towels and we were hard pressed to remove the dye stain rather than charge you for it. We showed you the damage and you merely apologized, quite flippantly too, so I was informed. We soaked the towels and luckily, since we discovered them early while still wet, we fixed them. Had we not entered the room to clean while you were out and the dye was left to set dry we would have had to charge you for the damage.

On your 2nd Night : Two a brand new pillowcases were stained by the colorful hair dye, which truly ruined the covers. We did in fact try to spare you the charges (again) but our laundry couldn't remedy it. The pillows were slept on overnight allowing the dye to dry and set on the fabric. So we charged you for these brand new cases ruined by hair dye.

On your 3rd Night : The plastic cup which was discovered cracked was indeed charged. the Mela-Ware cup was purchased precisely for its rugged durability and it is hard to conceive of how it was destroyed. Simply dropping it on the bathroom tile will not chip it-- we made sure by using Mela-ware so we dont get anyone accidentally hurt on broken shards of glass in the bath.

By this time, our cleaners were hyper- vigilant on your room since there was always some thing amiss the following morning during cleaning.

If this is what you mean by us constantly reminding you to not damage flatware and soft furnishings then I suppose you are right. There was always a reason to remind you as a matter of fact. So it may sound a bit petty about charging you for a broken cup, but it was due to a string of careless disregard of hotel property .

Your 4th Night : You requested to be downgraded to a queen room to pay less but we showed you the extra person charges would not really save you money. You already were occupying a family room- best for your needs. Which brings us to your nice comment about how the room was spacious and did not make you feel cramped-- exactly the line of reasoning we took with you to convince you to remain in your present room.

The old saying is once again proven-- you can't please everybody all the time and moreover, give someone an arm and they want a leg too. The attitude is; I've paid for the room so I own it.

And so it goes....
Venice, Italy
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Ok, this place is cheap and in a good position, but you can find better choices nearby in the same range of price.
Everytime you want to enter the hotel you need to call the frontdesk, with a buzzer at the door. And you need to do the same at another gate on the stair to go to the room. And the same on the way to go out. I understand that it's for safety, but I think it's a bit annoying.
They advertise they have free wifi in the room, but it's not true, I had some work to do and I had to do it in the lobby. The room has no window, the TV had only green and purple color, they don't let you use the controller for AC, if you want to adjust the temperature you need to call the staff to do it for you. They will come, but don't you think it's annoyinf to call someone at night when in any other hotel you just push a botton on the controller?
Worst thing: I had my flight at 7 pm but I checked out at 11 am cause I wanted to visit some place in manila, so I asked to the reception if I could leave my bag until the afternoon. The answer was NO!! That I could check out at 2 pm instead, or leave my bag in the room for longer but pay the hour rate until I check out if after 2 pm. It's the first time I hear anything like this, in every and I mean every hotel I have been, expensive or cheap, they wouldn't mind if I leave the bag at the reception. So I had to carry my heavy bag the whole afternoon, thank you very much!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Dave_T_79
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
May we please know which website you saw that advertises FREE WIFI IN ROOMS? We need to correct this If indeed this true, its a mistake. Our official website says free wifi in lobby and minimal charge for in room fasrer cabled internet connection.

Likewise we have posted the reasons for blocking out windows is that the location is very central, and fronts a busy city intersection. As such, we opted to entirely shut out windows to give guests a surprisingly quiet sleep right in the middle of all the hubbub on the street below. Since you do not complain about not being able to sleep for all the city noise, we can assume the noise did not bother you otherwise you would have criticized this too. So you were able to get a good sleep.

On the gated entry on the street level. Can't see why this is a bad thing. It affords security so we can see and record on the camera who is entering the premises. The added gate on the second floor protects visitors of registered guest from entering the upper floors where your rooms are. Our reception desk is On the second floor so we want people to come stop at the desk first and not,proceed directly up unannounced. It's merely added protection for our guests since its a busy city location with many comings and goings it's our solution to,protect guests from so called personal visitors who should be monitored for your safety. Yes, it's a bit inconvenient but its a small price to pay for good security. Most people like it, they feel guarded properly. Why you would be annoyed by it is beyond me.

No bags left behind has to be done because we have found people abusing this courtesy. They, like your good self, say only for a few hours, but leave it days and days while they travel the countryside. We in turn must hold and be responsible for items left behind 24/7. Endorsing the baggage handling from shift to shift to shift. If we ask the guest to show onward flight to tickets nor ask for them to leave a passport in order to make sure they come back as promised they get angry with us. Guests have accused us after leaving bags for days on end of missing items.. Food is left in bags that attract pests. So overall, we stopped the courtesy. It's a city hotel please note, a low priced one at that so people are on business and act differently than they would,in their Home Countries.

Tv not working? Just call for service if this were true, we would have simply moved a better one in. But hardly true because we are able to,quality check only 24 rooms so we know everything works. Did you really continue to watch your movie on a purple color screen? Also, we lend free DVD movies as many as you want, free DVD player in room. Is possible the color hues were adjusted by previous guest while watching a movie... Did you watch a free DVD movie and not adjust color?

The AC controller, had you simply asked to keep it with you we would have given it. Otherwise it's inventoried and kept in your room cubbyhole. It's another reason we have a gated exit on second floor. Departing guests rush out of the inn having only hand carried bags, taking remotes, towels, sometimes even blankets. I don't know any hotel wherein a guest does not have to first properly check out but again, due,to the fact that we are a centrally located busy hotel, people are conducting business hurriedly, practically frantic about hurrying what they came to do.

We are the lowest priced hotel for the business rooms standard we offer in central Makati to boot. The price gives more value than what is expected but often, people demand for more than what they pay for. We've had to adjust to accommodate the ANONYMOUS business traveller who is on "business."
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This property reminds me of my student days traveling through Europe on a Eurail pass, staying at the little inns, pensions and budget accommodations surrounding the train stations. You walk door-to-door to ask, "Do you have a room? How much?" The expectation is no frills. What you want is a clean, well maintained establishment. You don't remember them except when there are extraordinary gestures. The most memorable is being handed by the proprietress a small loaf of freshly baked bread, which came from her kitchen.

Makati International Inn is your standard budget hotel. The price is reasonable and the rooms are clean. What makes it great is the friendly staff. They are very nice and genuinely interested in making you stay comfortable. It's the little things that count, like remembering and greeting you by name. They don't have to do it because you will be gone in a few days. On the other hand, this is what I will remember.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank JJREYES
, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Greetings and

Sorry for the late reply.  Thank you very much for your kind words.  You truly did hit the nail on the head in your description of our inn. It's exactly what we endeavor to be.

On your suggestions we will definitely work on.  Many thanks!

Ciserano, Lombardia, Italy
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I spent few nights in this cheap hotel cause i need went to the italian embassy. The first impression was more or less good...but at the check out we moved the foam of the bed in order to arrange it well and we discovered a big spot of blood on the base...it means it was pretty durty and not so hygienic...
During the payment at the check out in the morning i saw in the bar-breakfast zone a little mouse runs around the washed dishes....i said thank you to myself to avoid take breakfast there... so, at the end it was a bad experience....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Luigi M
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Sorry it took so long to,respond to this review. We could not inspect all rooms to find the mattress referred to in this review as we have been running full houses for over three weeks now.

For some uncanny reason, ever since we garnered the lowest ranking in this site, our occupancy has in fact dramatically increased. Perhaps the controversy attracts attention?

At any rate, finally found that mattress referred to and what an exaggeration it was. Some poor lass perhaps had her time of month in the middle of the night during her sleep and so bled without a sanitary napkin. As such there is a stain, a mere one inch spot where she lay. So we removed it.

On the mouse, we ve laid out traps and can't seem to find the little critter but will continue to lay,th traps. Ok?