“Avoid this place”

Makati International Inn
Makati International Inn
Ranked #78 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Ok, this place is cheap and in a good position, but you can find better choices nearby in the same range of price.
Everytime you want to enter the hotel you need to call the frontdesk, with a buzzer at the door. And you need to do the same at another gate on the stair to go to the room. And the same on the way to go out. I understand that it's for safety, but I think it's a bit annoying.
They advertise they have free wifi in the room, but it's not true, I had some work to do and I had to do it in the lobby. The room has no window, the TV had only green and purple color, they don't let you use the controller for AC, if you want to adjust the temperature you need to call the staff to do it for you. They will come, but don't you think it's annoyinf to call someone at night when in any other hotel you just push a botton on the controller?
Worst thing: I had my flight at 7 pm but I checked out at 11 am cause I wanted to visit some place in manila, so I asked to the reception if I could leave my bag until the afternoon. The answer was NO!! That I could check out at 2 pm instead, or leave my bag in the room for longer but pay the hour rate until I check out if after 2 pm. It's the first time I hear anything like this, in every and I mean every hotel I have been, expensive or cheap, they wouldn't mind if I leave the bag at the reception. So I had to carry my heavy bag the whole afternoon, thank you very much!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Dave_T_79
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

May we please know which website you saw that advertises FREE WIFI IN ROOMS? We need to correct this If indeed this true, its a mistake. Our official website says free wifi in lobby and minimal charge for in room fasrer cabled internet connection.

Likewise we have posted the reasons for blocking out windows is that the location is very central, and fronts a busy city intersection. As such, we opted to entirely shut out windows to give guests a surprisingly quiet sleep right in the middle of all the hubbub on the street below. Since you do not complain about not being able to sleep for all the city noise, we can assume the noise did not bother you otherwise you would have criticized this too. So you were able to get a good sleep.

On the gated entry on the street level. Can't see why this is a bad thing. It affords security so we can see and record on the camera who is entering the premises. The added gate on the second floor protects visitors of registered guest from entering the upper floors where your rooms are. Our reception desk is On the second floor so we want people to come stop at the desk first and not,proceed directly up unannounced. It's merely added protection for our guests since its a busy city location with many comings and goings it's our solution to,protect guests from so called personal visitors who should be monitored for your safety. Yes, it's a bit inconvenient but its a small price to pay for good security. Most people like it, they feel guarded properly. Why you would be annoyed by it is beyond me.

No bags left behind has to be done because we have found people abusing this courtesy. They, like your good self, say only for a few hours, but leave it days and days while they travel the countryside. We in turn must hold and be responsible for items left behind 24/7. Endorsing the baggage handling from shift to shift to shift. If we ask the guest to show onward flight to tickets nor ask for them to leave a passport in order to make sure they come back as promised they get angry with us. Guests have accused us after leaving bags for days on end of missing items.. Food is left in bags that attract pests. So overall, we stopped the courtesy. It's a city hotel please note, a low priced one at that so people are on business and act differently than they would,in their Home Countries.

Tv not working? Just call for service if this were true, we would have simply moved a better one in. But hardly true because we are able to,quality check only 24 rooms so we know everything works. Did you really continue to watch your movie on a purple color screen? Also, we lend free DVD movies as many as you want, free DVD player in room. Is possible the color hues were adjusted by previous guest while watching a movie... Did you watch a free DVD movie and not adjust color?

The AC controller, had you simply asked to keep it with you we would have given it. Otherwise it's inventoried and kept in your room cubbyhole. It's another reason we have a gated exit on second floor. Departing guests rush out of the inn having only hand carried bags, taking remotes, towels, sometimes even blankets. I don't know any hotel wherein a guest does not have to first properly check out but again, due,to the fact that we are a centrally located busy hotel, people are conducting business hurriedly, practically frantic about hurrying what they came to do.

We are the lowest priced hotel for the business rooms standard we offer in central Makati to boot. The price gives more value than what is expected but often, people demand for more than what they pay for. We've had to adjust to accommodate the ANONYMOUS business traveller who is on "business."

Reviewed May 30, 2012

This property reminds me of my student days traveling through Europe on a Eurail pass, staying at the little inns, pensions and budget accommodations surrounding the train stations. You walk door-to-door to ask, "Do you have a room? How much?" The expectation is no frills. What you want is a clean, well maintained establishment. You don't remember them except when there are extraordinary gestures. The most memorable is being handed by the proprietress a small loaf of freshly baked bread, which came from her kitchen.

Makati International Inn is your standard budget hotel. The price is reasonable and the rooms are clean. What makes it great is the friendly staff. They are very nice and genuinely interested in making you stay comfortable. It's the little things that count, like remembering and greeting you by name. They don't have to do it because you will be gone in a few days. On the other hand, this is what I will remember.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank JJREYES
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Greetings and

Sorry for the late reply.  Thank you very much for your kind words.  You truly did hit the nail on the head in your description of our inn. It's exactly what we endeavor to be.

On your suggestions we will definitely work on.  Many thanks!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

I spent few nights in this cheap hotel cause i need went to the italian embassy. The first impression was more or less good...but at the check out we moved the foam of the bed in order to arrange it well and we discovered a big spot of blood on the base...it means it was pretty durty and not so hygienic...
During the payment at the check out in the morning i saw in the bar-breakfast zone a little mouse runs around the washed dishes....i said thank you to myself to avoid take breakfast there... so, at the end it was a bad experience....

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Luigi M
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Sorry it took so long to,respond to this review. We could not inspect all rooms to find the mattress referred to in this review as we have been running full houses for over three weeks now.

For some uncanny reason, ever since we garnered the lowest ranking in this site, our occupancy has in fact dramatically increased. Perhaps the controversy attracts attention?

At any rate, finally found that mattress referred to and what an exaggeration it was. Some poor lass perhaps had her time of month in the middle of the night during her sleep and so bled without a sanitary napkin. As such there is a stain, a mere one inch spot where she lay. So we removed it.

On the mouse, we ve laid out traps and can't seem to find the little critter but will continue to lay,th traps. Ok?

Reviewed March 31, 2012

I have stayed here twice. No frills but well maintained and clean. Not for the claustrophobic as its windows are small or you do not get any at all. Good for flashpackers who want to stay in the Makati area. Nearest fastfood is McDonalds. Close to Buendia corner Pasong Tamo. A $2 cab ride from Greenbelt or you can walk too. Close to convenience stores and there is a pharmacy across. Safe because the hotel entrance is controlled automatically by the frontdesk on the second floor. No smoking rooms available but you can smoke on the first floor lobby. Slept well and AC was strong. Love this hotel! I think they have short term stays now.

Approximate price was P1800, about $40++ per night.

Stayed September 2010 and December 2007.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Jason C
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

Thanks for the nice review .Good to Know that not everyone is put Off by "bad" reviews on this site! Also good to hear someone does not mind the fact that there are no
windows in the room. We totally sealed off the windows to block out city noise in favor of a quiet sleep right in the thick of things, so to speak . Truly, we are located on a very busy street very accessible for businesses and business travelers . So we opted to kill the boring view in favor of a quality sleep which is probably more important . Thanks for someone finally appreciating this.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

It's a nice place to stay. Strategically located near the dela rosa avenue leading to greenbelt area. The place is quite safe as it is secured by computerized lock system.

The only bad experience i had wAs that sometimes the CR clogs. But over-all its a recommended place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Pirata34

Two good reviews in a row. Now thats welcome ! Will look into the problem mentioned . Glad to know there are people out there that are willing to still stay despite our ranking. Thank you so much for staying and even a greater thank you for taking the time to say something constructive in your objective criticism .--

Reviewed September 21, 2011

I was in the Philippines for 3 weeks in July going to and from Manila. I kept on using the Makati International Inn as it was comfortable, a good price. There was a nice friendly Restaurant/bar/lounge area very friendly staff.
For those people just wanting a base for a visit this is ideal.

Thank you Makati International Inn i enjoyed my stay there

Room Tip: all i would say is away from the reception area
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank iangreatman
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Thank you very much for your very objective review of our Inn.. It is exactly how you described it-- a base for you to stay while conducting the business (or whatever is was you came to Makati for) that you need to do.

We are a non-pretentious establishment that delivers exactly what you expect for the reasonable price we offer. Often times people want to pay low prices but then expect incredibly high standards and amenities in exchange for the low, low price.

Thank you again for being realistic and objective and we only wish more people would be just as fair as you in their assessment of our humble inn..

Reviewed June 19, 2011

This is my 2nd stay at Makati International Inn and we love it!

I booked 3 rooms (1 queen + extra bed and 2 triples) for a total of 9 guests.

But before I go into my review I'd just like to point out that this is a 2 star inn and the rate is 1990p for a queen bed and 2750p for a trple so if you're expecting things like shampoo, toiletries, a double bed with awesome cotton with foam mattress and a 3 star cafe you ain't going to find it here.

What you will find is clean rooms, hot water, tv with cable channels (like FOX & ESPN) and very basic amenities like towels, hangers and even a hair dryer. The rooms can be small but the most important thing is that they are very clean. Walls are nicely painted, sheets smell nice, no bed bugs and the shower area is very clean. All the furnishing is very Ikea like (I suspect even the mattress) so imagine clean industrial like rooms with Ikea furnishing. Just a warning there aren't any windows in any of the rooms but that's something me and my friends didn't mind (personally I like it cause it gets really dark and cool so it's easier to sleep).

My only problem with the room (and even then again it's a small problem) is the noise from the street. It can be pretty noisy in the morning due to traffic but the Inn has done its best to keep the noise level down by barring the windows. The last time I stayed here we had a queen on the other side (opposite the triple rooms) and there wasn't any noise. If noise is your concern just request a queen opposite the triple rooms. Those queens are very quiet. Oh and one of my friends complained about the mattress, but it's a very basic Ikea mattress so if you have a sensitive back you may need to get a 3-5 star hotel.

Service is impeccable! We arrived at the Inn around 7am and were provided 2 rooms! (I emailed in advance letting them know) and for the triple room that wasn't ready, they provide a queen room for my travel mates to rest in and take showers. The service guys running around are very helpful and they helped lug our suitcases around.

There's no lift but come on people it's only 3 flights of stairs and with the service guys helping you lug your luggage are you really that lazy to walk 3 flight of stairs?!

As for location while I do agree it's a 10 minute walk to everywhere else (like Jollibee and McD's and even to the Greenbelt) so just be mindful of that.

As for cabbies here's a tip, don't tell the cabbies about Santillian St. They'll just get confused. We had better luck telling the cabs it was Dela Rosa St crossing Chino Roces Ave. Chino Roces is a very big and main St and so is Dela Rosa. It's the Santillian St (which is a smaller st) they throws the cabbies off. Once we figured that out, we've never had any issues of a cab that didn't know where this place was. Just get them to stop you at the 7-11 at Chino Roces and Dela Rosa. Makati International Inn is right behind.

Oh and some of my friends complained about the wi-fi. The wi-fi is pretty wonky (as in we tried to connect with iPhones, Blackberries and iPads but it kept timing us out or disconnecting us) so just be mindful of that. It might work better with laptops but for smartphones, it doesn't connect very well. But again it's a 2 star inn, so we didn't really care that they wi-fi was wonky.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank masurin
MZINNSGeneralManager, General Manager at Makati International Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

Hi Masurin,

Thank you for your kind words of praise. And truly, the warning beforehand is very correct-- when you pay a lot, lot less, people should not expect a lot, lot MORE.

That said, you hit the nail on the head exactly when you said the no windows bars street noise-- it is exactly why we did that in the first place.

Secondly, again, you are absolutely right about it being only 3 flights to the highest floor if ever you get a room on the uppermost third floor-- again, we too expect that this is not a big issue since, as you mentioned, we help with luggage all the time, ANYTIME.

Lastly on the internet-- apologies and happy to inform you, we have signed up with a new service provider as the old one was troublesome indeed. On your next visit please try again the WIFI and let us know if it now meets your expectations. We hope it will and in fact are paying 4 times the price just to ensure that it satisfies your requirements.

Cheers and hope to see you again very soon!