“Wow - a classic and delicious neighborhood Italian joint” 5 of 5 bubbles

Michael's Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 116 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Syracuse, New York
“Wow - a classic and delicious neighborhood Italian joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Imagine the place that you would think Tony Soprano would frequent and this is that place. And I mean that in a good way! The well-worn dining room is perfectly suited to old school Italian cooking. The booth seats are small and a little uncomfortable, but the food is BIG and absolutely, stunningly deilicious. Don't let the huge portions fool you. Sometimes restaurants overcompensate for poor cooking with big portions, but this is one of those cases where its just more of a good thing. My biggest problem at Michael's is making a choice of what to select. The standard menu is exhaustive and they always have multiple enticing specials. Duffy, the owner and chef, usually comes out to speak with guests each evening and you can just tell this is a guy who loves his job and his life and you can taste it in his food!

• Visited November 2012

Cooperstown, New York
“Family owned and locally owned Italian restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I personally have frequented this restaurant over the last 30 years. We usually go on special occasions or when we are entertaining our very best friends and family. The owners are warm and friendly and the food is fresh cooked and wonderful. This recent Friday night I ordered chicken and eggplant parm combined with Michaels homemade sauce. As with all my visits I was quite pleased. The quantity was enough for two meals with the take home portion eaten for lunch. The recipes are many of those handed down by the owners mother with many more being developed by Duffy himself. My brother enjoyed his Rigatoni's with sausage while my wife had the haddock with wine sauce. The fish was very good but was alittle different then what we have had in the past. The only suggestion that I may offer is that Michaels should return to the original fish recipe which was beyond excellent. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited February 2013
Syracuse, New York
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I dined at Michael's on the recomendation of store owner in neighboring Skaneateles, N.Y. It was absolutely wonderful. Really nice atmosphere and very friendly staff. The meal was excellent from the appetizers, to the main courses, to the desserts. My wife had seafood and I had filet mignon......both were delicious !!! They were kind enough to seat us, as we requested, out of the way of the main traffic flow through the dining room. Several staff stopped by to ask how everything was, and if there was anything we needed. I highly recommend this restaurant. Prices were very reasonable and portions were large. You won't regret dining at Michaels !!!!

• Visited February 2013
adirondacks
“wonderful home town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I left Auburn 40 yrs. ago but still visit family in the area. Michaels has been around forever; one of the very few hometown, original eateries left.
Upon entering Michaels, one feels a sense of both nostalgia and gratitide. Nostalgia that it's still in the same humble location and gratitiude that it hasn't been boarded-up and abandonded as have many establishments in the west-end of the city. I've dined there on 5 occasions and the place has always been packed. The service is quite attentive, particularly since one of the owners is waiting tables(often a good strategy). My singular complaint would be that the prices are above what they should be for the area. If the sauces and dishes were exemplary, then yes, charge for them. The bottom line (and it's ALWAYS the bottom line) is the 5 ravioli pieces we were served were inadequate for what we were charged. Give us 8 pieces and we wouldn't have complained. Also, more attention should be placed on your tomato sauce. It tasted like it came from canned sauce, less like home-made. We wish Michaels only great success. It's tough
running an upscale eatery. Here's to you!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My only suggestion is to consider lower prices on certain
pasta dishes. Our party thought that the price of ravioli, 5 small pillows, was excessive. Also,
having rown up in Italian families, we thought the red sauce could be improved upon.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Wrong menu posted online here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very important! This menu is incorrect it is posted in error by this site. Michaels is an Italian fine dining restaurant. The food is incredible. Please call for the correct menu. 252-6194.

2 Thank Seanwrench