“Something New Every Time”

Seward House Museum
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Auburn
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We invite you to visit the Seward House Museum, the historic home of William Henry Seward; New York State Senator, two time New York State Governor, US Senator, and Secretary of State during the Lincoln and Johnson administrations. Our knowledgeable staff is on-hand to provide guided tours, helping you navigate the many fascinating aspects of this beautifully preserved home. Enjoy masterpieces of American art and special exhibitions in both the historic house and the museum’s gardens.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have visited the Seward House 10 times. I am a 3rd grade teacher and I bring my class there for a field trip each year. Every single time I visit, I learn something new about WIlliam H. Seward or the collection of items at the house. My class always finds the most interesting part of the tour is when the tour guide takes the group into the basement where the runaway slaves were housed on the underground railroad. So much history happened at this house and the staff does a wonderful job with the tour.

2  Thank MRS R
"new york"
in 16 reviews
"nice home"
in 4 reviews
"wonderful piece of history"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Touring the Seward House is a full personal immersion in history and the people who made it. I cannot recommend this place enough if you love information, history, and museums that present both in a setting of a family home with its original furnishings and effects intact. In a word, this place is phenomenal.

1  Thank kinnakeeto
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Beautifully decorated for the holidays. Some newly painted main rooms and other improvements show the local commitment to this well maintained historic home. There's much available to learn about Seward and his time period.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Expertly led tour, friendly staff. Historically significant site - a total gem! Beautifully maintained and presented.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We recently visited the Seward House and were blown away by the whole scene. The house has the history and ambiance, but it also has a couple the unique aspects to it. It remained in the family from 1803 or so until the 1950's and these folks saved EVERYTHING!!!. When I mean everything I'm not kidding. They found notes in pockets of dresses indicating who wore it and for what occasions. Virtually every piece of furniture in the house is original to the house including the couch in Seward's office that he passed on. This IS history. Seward received gifts from kings and rulers of many countries while traveling and they are all there. Just amazing. Even the original paper doll house playthings from the 1850's are still there.

All of the tours through the house are guided, and the docents are very knowledgeable. They are vital to an understanding the full magnitude of what you are experiencing.

I am astounded that this place doesn't have more visitors. We have visited many historic sites and homes throughout the USA and I have to say the Seward House is the most complete "time capsule" of history we have ever encountered. Fun for all ages as there is something for everyone.

2  Thank PeteroPetero