“One big hit, one bad miss”

Oak and Vine at Springside Inn
Ranked #15 of 117 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I wasn't quite sure how to rate this experience. My meal was excellent, but my wife's was average at best. So I averaged the two to come up with very good, and gave a little partial credit for the nice location.

I had the cedar plank salmon, and it was as good as I've had anywhere--tasty, tender, nicely seasoned and cooked. The rice pilaf and sauteed snow pea pods were very good complements. This was the big hit.

My wife had the peas and bow tie dish, which was bow tie pasta with peas, chunks of chicken, and Alfredo sauce. The chicken was rubbery and the Alfredo sauce was very garlicky and not at all creamy. This was the bad miss.

If you are tired of cookie cutter chain restaurants and are looking for a one of a kind place, you may like the Oak & Vine. Many menu items are familiar ingredients prepared in the O&V's special way. If your preferences lean to the common ways of preparation, you might not be comfortable with some of them.

TIP FOR WOMEN: Ask for directions to the ladies rest room when you enter, and consider using it before your meal. It is a long way from the main dining room, and you get there through a less than intuitive route. My wife also noted that aside from the distance, it is a one-holer, suggesting a waiting line if the restaurant is busy. (Oddly, in contrast, the men's room is accessible right from the main dining room, and can accommodate multiple users.)

1  Thank Joe H

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Got take out. Sat at bar while waiting for food. Bartender very busy but still took great care of us. Their blue cheese dressing tastes home made, don't know if it is but it's amazing. Blueberry chipotle wings awesome, goat cheese artichoke pizza was loaded full and great. Highly recommend this place. Atmosphere was very nice too.

1  Thank Enski3
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Always love Sitting on the Porch , enjoying the amazing views of Lake Owasco. Their menu has a variety of choices priced well .Nice selection of beers and local wines .Service was attentive and good food . I had the Pork Osso Bucco over Pallenta really enjoyed it (huge dish).My wife had the twin Pork Chops (just as nice) . My daughter enjoyed their Homemade Kids Pizza . Even got to shake the owners (Sean) hand always a great addition . If your in Auburn , you must check it out . We will see you next year . Keep it up .

Reviewed July 8, 2014

The Springside Inn is on the shore of Owasco Lake in Auburn, although the trees have grown up over the years and there's no longer a lake view. However, the nice front lawn and old trees provide a nice setting for the old hotel. There's a long porch out front where you can eat if you don't want to be in the classic old wooden dining room. Everything at our dinner was very nice - large portions of very good food from a gourmet kitchen. Friendly young wait staff. A nice wooden bunch at the table where our sleepy granddaughter could take a nap. All very relaxing and satisfying.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

The food was well delicious: our family ordered appetizers, soup, steak, hamburgers - all delicious and well prepared. We will be returning soon.