“Absoulutely Perfect!”

The Sunset Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 115 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cato, New York
“Absoulutely Perfect!”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I am one of the pickiest people to please and I'll tell you I couldn't be more impressed with the food here. The bread was so fresh, obviously made in house daily. I had the Clams Casino for an appetizer and my boyfriend had the deep fried mushrooms, we both agree the appetizers were delicious!! We both had the Cajun Broiled Combination Platter that is over rice pilaf. I have had rice pilaf in many restaurants and it is always dry and bland but not here, it was perfectly done bursting with flavor. The haddock was flaky and tender, shrimp perfect, and the scallops were so tender and juicy all full of flavor. I was definitely impressed and telling everyone I know about The Sunset Restaurant. They have just earned a customer for life...Kudos to the chef!!!!!

• Visited April 2012

“Decent”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

average food at average prices. The wine list was very inexpensive. We picked up a bottle for dinner for 12.99. Friendly staff!

Visited April 2012
Central NYS
“Consistently good food in a comfortable family atmosphere”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Sunset has been a part of the Auburn restaurant scene for over 50 years. It is a family-run restaurant, specializing in Italian cuisine and on Fridays, a great fish dinner. Their menu is varied and affordable, from the $10.00 fish dinner special on Friday to the $22.00 prime rib.
The Sunset has a dining room that probably has tables to seat 50 - 60. There is another large dining area, mostly of tables for two, next to an oval bar. The banquet room used regularly for parties and receptions of many sizes. There are separate entries inside the restaurant to access each of these areas which is nice if you have children and don't want to walk through a bar to reach your table.
The bar area is surrounded by antiques on the walls. There are musical instruments, clocks, dinnerware, even a canoe! While you wait for the expert bartender to mix your drink, spend some time looking at the colorful tropical fish swimming lazily in the large tank inside the oval. The focus of the family dining room is a stained glass window of you guessed it a sunset, and at the right time of day it fills the room with a lovely glow.
We eat here at least a couple of times a year, and I have to say that I don't recall having a bad meal.

• Visited February 2012
Webster NY
“As always, pedestrian”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Pedestrian from the dictionary: lacking in vitality, imagination, and distinction. Sometimes I like a restaurant that never changes. The problem with the Sunset is that I can't identify its original appeal. The atmosphere, the food, the staff : all are okay. This is my mother-in-law's go-to restaurant, always her first choice, so we've been here several times over the years. The scallops she orders are probably the restaurant's strong point. But anything else was just okay - or not. Dinners come with a salad. It's a dish of dressing with a lettuce garnish. Isn't dressing more expensive than lettuce? One in our party had a stuffed chicken breast, which was fully cooked and adequately flavored. The beef-slab-eater was satisfied too, though not wowed. My pasta and meatball dish was not memorable. The funny part was when the teen in our party asked the server if the blueberry cheesecake came with actual blueberries on top, or a sauce. The server said quite definitely it was blueberries, no sauce. The dessert arrives and of course it's topped with pre-packaged blueberry slurry. You've seen this stuff: actual "fruit" was barely identifiable. And the idea of unremarkable, long-ago-fresh blueberries kind of sums up my opinion of the Sunset.

• Visited February 2012