“perfect after Cayuga wine trail-"right in every way"”

Inn at the Finger Lakes
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
“perfect after Cayuga wine trail-"right in every way"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

Thank you to all the tripadvisor contributors for this one! Would have never knew it was sooo good. Highlights: Cleanliness, coziness, location, staff. Lowlights-perhaps could use firmer pillows. Auburn is a cute little city between the top of Cayuga Lake and Skaneateles. Real easy ride from Montezuma winery and wildlife area. Rooms are small but modern and really perfect in every way. Use ecofriendly products, great small breakfast. Little touches like coffee and computer on in the lobby, the oragami design of the toilet paper and the towels. Good people and great location for walking to restaurant and drugstore. You will not regret at all staying here. We absolutely loved it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Arcade, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

This hotel is a made over Microtel Inn, so the rooms are small but certainly adequate. They are clean and comfortable too. I know that they have a continental breakfast, but I skipped it, so I cannot comment on it. The hotel is within walking distance of at least one nice restaurant, Daut's, and possibly others. A highlight, in the evening, there is a complimentary wine & beer reception area (same room as breakfast). It is a really nice feature to be able to enjoy some wine, cheese, & crackers ,and conversation with fellow travelers. The ONLY down side, at least for a business traveler on a budget, is that in the summer/ fall seasons this property is geared toward the vacationer and the price per night goes up significantly. That aside, I've stayed before and I will stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sales_Traveler_10
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

When we unexpectedly arrived early for our stay, they quickly and courteously checked to find out if it our room was ready, and allowed us to check in early without making us feel bad. We liked the room very much. It is not an overly large space, but it is appropriately laid out and was just perfect for our needs. The location is very easy to get to and it is easy to walk or drive to many nearby attractions. Breakfast was great, with wonderful hours and plenty of food available the entire time.

We liked the window seat in the room that was comfortable to sit at - especially since the room only has a computer chair for furniture besides the bed.

Loved that there was HBO and commercial free music channels on the television.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Justin E
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2010

We stay in this hotel several times a year and consider it an excellent value. The management is youtstanding.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank renwoman1949
Constableville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

I travel throughout New York for business. Of all the hotels I've stayed at, the Inn at the Finger Lakes is the BEST hotel I've ever stayed at. I utilize coupons for hotels for a good deal. I stayed three nights and for all three nights they honored the single coupon. The staff were so accommodating and nice. The wine tasting (free) lasted two hours each night accompanied by snacks and the continental breakfast was presented very nicely. I can not wait to return. I have bragged to everyone about this great hotel find!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

We stayed for two nights at the Finger Lakes Inn. Staffs were friendly and check-in was easy. We had two quiet rooms at the back side of the building with view on a parking. The front side faces highway 20 that goes through town. The Inn At The Finger Lakes is an up-to-date facility in the rather depressed town of Auburn. Facilities included free Internet and a complimentary continental breakfast that was adequate. The room was clean and had a comfortable bed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank MrsPiket
Europa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

So we had this place booked for 2 nights due to a wedding taking place at a nearby vineyard. The rooms are ok, nothing special and nothing better than you would find at any other roadside lodging (Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn etc) but not much worse. The walls are paper thin, I could hear the guy next door to us snoring all night and even heard his alarm clock in the morning. The rooms have the usual stuff - a TV, coffee making facilities, bad art on the walls and a functional bathroom which is delightfully average.

The hotel itself isn't so bad, like I said, it's no different to any of the other establishments plying a similar trade, yet there is one big difference- the staff. The staff here (besides the cleaning staff) are amongst the most belligerent, rude and apathetic staff I've ever had the misfortune to come into contact with.

I went down to ask the front desk for the internet access code, the receptionist was in the back room leafing through a glossy magazine. I said "excuse me" and she looked up, waited a second and said "what?", I asked for the access code, was told it was on my keycard paper jacket thing which I said I didn't have. She stared at me a bit more, sighed really heavily, got up and slammed the paper with the code on it right in front of me and said "there", then she went and sat back down to continue reading!

Then I went to breakfast the next day, didn't wear any shoes since my room was 3 doors away, found the room to be incredibly small and everyone is jostling for space to partake in meager portions of crap, if the hotel was for 50 people it'd work great but when it sleeps over 100 things rapidly fall apart. Anyway, I finished, left the room to return to mine. Another member of staff grabbed me by my arm, pulled me to one side and told me "you can't eat breakfast without shoes", I explained that I'd just eaten, she then explained it was a "health department" bylaw that I just broke by eating without shoes on... I mentioned the point that for something to be enforced then it must be visible, and nowhere in this hotel does it say anything related to the health department and honestly, this is all pretty dumb and by the way, please don't grab my arm again and pull me around like I'm a petulant child. So... she said again "it's the health department, everyone knows this" so I told her I'm not in the health department so how would I know? She threw her arms out wide, snorted and just said "whatever" so incredibly rudely I wasn't sure if I heard her right. I said "excuse me?" she implied I was stupid for not knowing the 'laws' to which I said "wow... is this how you treat all of of your guests?".

Jeez... what is wrong with this place? The staff are just pissed off all the time and take it out on the guests and maybe they just want a fight. If you're thinking of staying here then please go somewhere else, unless you want to be insulted and treated like a foolish moron. Thing is, this generally happens with staff when there is no discipline imposed from above which does not bode well.

So in summary: OK rooms with all the standard amenities, but the staff make this a terrible place to spend a vacation. You'd be better off staying anywhere else but here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Woooo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
The Gould Hotel
The Gould Hotel
#2 of 4 in Seneca Falls
Skaneateles Suites Boutique Hotel

Been to Inn at the Finger Lakes? Share your experiences!