“Wonderful place!”

Inn at the Finger Lakes
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Had a great stay here over the holiday weekend. We travel with our large dog and the staff treated her like the queen that she is!! What a wonderfully dog friendly place. Very clean - had a junior suite and it was small, but not tight. Had a nice window seat for reading. Basic breakfast, but the staff is what makes this place so fine. We will definitely be back - it is a good base for visiting the Finger Lakes. Especially if you plan to spend time on Owasco Lake. Didn't understand all the reviews that said the Auburn is a depressed or industrial area - it isn't touristy or new, but there are plenty of nice places to grab a bite to eat, and there are many beautiful big old houses that line the neighborhood streets. Felt comfortable walking through the neighborhood near the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MissBigDee

Reviewed June 22, 2010

Up-to-date facility in the fairly depressed town of Auburn, but only 6 miles from the charming and spendier vollage of Skaneateles....so location worked well. It was, however, on a busy highway that goes through town. Nice staff, ample parking, good self-help breakfast. Our main problem was that the room was barely large enough to walk around the bed. We had trouble finding room to set 2 suitcases. But, for the <$100 price, it was a good value....clean and handy.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I stayed here with girlfriends for a wine tour and a night at Merry Go Round Playhouse in 2008; we had a great trip. When I was returning to Auburn this time, Inn at Finger Lakes was my first choice but it appeared online that one of my nights was full. I called the Inn and they were very helpful--they made it work. That pretty much sums up the whole stay. The staff goes out of their way to be helpful.

I was given a reasonably good rate, and then upgraded to a junior suite--very nice for visiting with family. The rooms are well appointed and very clean; in era of "deferred manintenance" in hotels, that does not seem to be the case here. The location is...well, it's on a thoroughfare and not especially scenic. But if you need to visit Auburn, the location is very centrally located and access to all major roads is quite easy.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2010

It's the little things about this hotel that make the difference. Some hotels are technically clean, but look dull and dreary. Not this one. It sparkles. Everything about this hotel says the housekeeping staff go the extra mile. You know how chain hotels fold the bathroom's toilet paper into a point? After seeing that at every hotel in the country, it becomes routine. This hotel is the first time I have EVER taken a picture of the bathroom. The housekeeper practically did origami with the toilet paper, and the shampoo/conditioner were earth-friendly.

Every complimentary breakfast I've had this trip (at multiple chain hotels) had the same three types of cereal, the obligatory yogurts, the sticky black juice dispenser that makes you wonder how often its cleaned. This inn's breakfast was the best I've had this trip. Not only two flavors of yogurt, but two different brands! Different kinds of cereal! And the juice was in clear containers so it was obvious they were cleaned daily.

It's the little things that matter, and this hotel excels in the little things.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Auburn is an older city, still it has great local dining and bars. Close to Skaneateles, not too far from Geneva, right in the middle of wine country. The staff was very friendly, the managers party from 5-7 was really nice. The best part of the hotel was the unique design of the room. We had a junior suite, spend a little more and get one. The details and design were well worth it. It's a great place to meet up with old friends and make new ones.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Recently visited Auburn for a family gathering. We have always stayed at the Holiday Inn figuring it was the best choice in town. WELL I WAS WRONG. The Inn at the Finger Lakes was a far better value. The hotel is much newer and cleaner than the Holiday Inn. Although I reserved my room for $99.00 per night, when we checked in the lovely woman at the reception gave us a coupon discount which brought the room down to $69.00 per night. I was pleasantly surprised at my room. Although it was a little small the furnishings were very nice and modern and the beds were soooooo comfortable. I slept like a baby with those down pillows (4 to each bed). Many fancy, unexpected touches for a hotel in this price range. My face towels were arranged in assorted shapes and even the tissues and toilet paper were fashioned into oragami designs. Much thought was given in the hotels choice of complimentary toiletries. They are bottled in containers made from corn products so that they are green friendly and will decompose easily. They even provide makeup remover pads (very thoughtful). Free wine tasting on the weekends and complimentary breakfast are a bonus. The staff is awesome. You just can't beat this place for the money. I highly recommend The Inn at the Finger Lakes. I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I stayed at the Inn at the Finger Lakes just last week and it was a great experience that could have easily been a disaster. At the last minute the person who was going to come and take care of my very large German Shepard became ill and I called the hotel to see if there was anyway that I could bring her along with me. I expected a "We are so sorry but she is too big for our hotel." Instead the person who answered the phone said that her size was no problem at all, there would just be the standard $10.00 a day pet deposit. We hopped in the car and took off. When we got to the hotel and they got a look at Jynx the manager was able to move me into a larger room, with a loveseat that was right next to the door. She explained that if the dog barked a lot they would either call me, or the desk clerk would bring her to the desk so she was not lonely. Before we went to the room they gave Jynx a few treats. When we got to the room there was a bedsheet over the loveseat so that Jynx could sit there. I've never had a hotel go out of the way to make me feel so welcome with my dog. The room was very nice the TV is a large flat screen and there is a nice long desk to use a computer at. With plenty of plugs that are installed on the wall on top of the desk so you are not on your knees plugging in chargers, etc. The absolute best part was the bed. The bed and pillows were so comfortable that I could not believe how great I felt when I woke up the next day. When I was checking out I said jokingly "You don't count the pillows, do you?" I was told that people ask to buy the pillows all the time, and that they have even ordered beds for some guests. It seems that thier beds are custom made for them The lobby is nice and neat and clean and there is a computer there with a printer in case you need to print out a map or something. There is an evening reception where Finger Lakes wine is served as well as Stella Artois on tap with light snacks. There is a standard continental breakfast to start your day as well. The staff was courteous when asked about places to eat and where to take Jynx on a long walk by the lake, the clerk even offered to print me a map. Auburn is Auburn but this hotel would do fine in most any place. Great staff, Mary the housekeeper was tremendous making sure that I had no problems at all.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
6 mi away
Finger Lakes Lodging
Finger Lakes Lodging
#5 of 7 in Skaneateles

Been to Inn at the Finger Lakes? Share your experiences!