“Portions were perfect”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Freehold, New York
“Portions were perfect”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Variety was excellent and we all enjoyed feeling full but not stuffed. Our group enjoyed: chicken, steak, fish and salads, and everyone was pleased with their choice. Our waiter Michael was very good.

Visited July 2014

Cave Creek, Arizona, United States
“The Most Complete Dining Experience in the Finger Lakes.”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The Most Complete Dining Experience in the Finger Lakes

While in Auburn, NY, to tour the Seward House and his 7,000 book library, I asked a docent if she had any restaurant recommendations. She whipped out this list of 24 eateries and pronounced that “Moro’s Table was good but pricey.” A recommendation this solid does not come by everyday so off we went to Moro’s Table. Being late on a Saturday, we had to take an 8pm reservation, which I saw as a good sign. Promptly seated in the “bistroish” décor dining room–minimal accourterments(forget the candles and white table cloths) but artistically placed–our entertaining waiter soon arrived and began to entertain us. The second bottle of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir probably helped but we were in good spirits to begin with. (7,000 books will do that to you.) Apologies to nearby tables. A previous commentator said that the wine list was short but sufficient. I agree. I did not think that this Pinot, at $42, was overpriced at about double retail, but, as you may know, it is superb. Started with a bowl of potato/leek/cilantro pureed soup and the roasted beet/goat cheese salad, both delicious. The entrée of hammer steak, which I shared, did not disappoint, being juicy, flavorful, extremely tender, and eminently eatable. I think it was served on garlic-mashed potatoes. I did not ask about the marinade but it really worked well for this sirloin’s shirttail cousin. Desert was an apple/rhubard torte in a custard sauce with cinnamon ice cream and black coffee and more great conversation.

Now, this menu would not assault the ears or the palates of the good burghers of Auburn nor their pocketbooks. I’m not sure what Ed Moro had in mind when he started this restaurant in the Finger Lakes but it probably included something of what our experience was like. Wonderful companions, fabulous wines, great food, fresh ingredients, all put together and served with a complementary flair, meaning in this case, the thing that completes the whole-a complete dining experience. Thank you, Mr. Moro.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank John S
Syracuse, New York, USA
“Food was amazing!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

The food was absolutely delicious. The atmosphere was wonderful also. The scallops were melt in your mouth and the pork belly appetizer(although small) is also melt in your mouth-delicious, delicious, delicious!!!The shrimp tempura sushi roll was amazing also. Every item I ate had a unique flavor and was delicious. We would definitely go back again!

Toronto
“Best between Toronto and NYNY”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had a wonderful meal of very fresh, carefully prepared food at Moro's Table. The Chef is a culinary expert and that showed in the quality of the ingredients. I had crab cakes and my husband opted for the pork belly appetizer and both were delicious. From the daily specials we had perfectly cooked lamb roast that reminded of Moroccan tajine and pan seared halibut. Both dishes were perfectly prepared. I love that guests can opt for smaller portions as we love wonderful tasty food but are not big eaters. For desert the cherry pie with ice cream, both home made, were just right. I also loved that the tea offered was good quality Twinings. Thank you for that.

The restaurant is only open a few days a week and after 5 p.m. Check the website for hours and sample menus. Chef is also wise to keep a short, sophisticated menu as that always indicates that what is ordered will be perfect.

Auburn's main attraction is the Seward Museum. It is well worth visiting on a Saturday when docents offer excellent, informative tours.

• Visited June 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great restaurant in historic Auburn, NY”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We ate here last night with another couple when visiting Auburn for a friend's wedding. It is an excellent and very comfortable choice. There aren't a huge number of entrees, but the menu is varied and full of good choices. The food itself was absolutely excellent. The wine list was limited but fine -- some good New York wine choices, and I always appreciate being able to have good, local wines.

The service was outstanding. For a small example, I had asked if they had blue cheese olives for my martini -- our server went and stuffed some olives for me! She was very helpful and attentive. The pace of service was just right -- not rushed, but there when you need it.

I don't know that I'll have occasion to return to this area, but if I did, this place would be a the top of my list.

• Visited July 2014