“Well-meaning little place” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Manila, Philippines
“Well-meaning little place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

First of all, I think it's good that there is at least one more vegetarian place in Baguio. To be very fair, we only went in for a snack although I also saw the next table having either a very late lunch (at about 4pm) or an early dinner. My hubby had the kamakura sandwich while I had some pancit and some kind of veggie crackling and a strawberry lassi. Frankly, really nothing to shout about and not just because we've had much much better vegetarian even vegan food elsewhere. My noodles were greasy along with the crackling. Salads and sandwiches aside, I noticed that the menu was full of fried and greasy fare which although is technically still vegetarian rather seems at least for me to defeat the purpose of a good number of people who turn vegetarian for health rather than ethical/religious reasons. I observed the same thing with the table beside me which ordered either fried foods or mock meat dishes. Finally, it being Baguio, the strawberry capital of the Philippines, I was at least looking forward to my strawberry lassi. When it came, it was not chilled enough. When I asked for crushed ice to remedy this, I was told they had none and gave me unappetizing-looking ice chunks instead (looking like it was knife-carved out of a block). Moreover, it also tasted like the strawberry got blended in only at the last minute because there were a few solid strawberry pieces but not much taste in the liquid itself. That was my disappointment. I was hoping a refreshing drink would at least wash down my greasy snack. So, all in all, though I appreciate their cozy little set-up, my experience was sadly a let-down.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank hav4wannatravel
kadampa, Owner at Bliss Cafe, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi...sorry you were not fully satisfied with your experience.
We do have a full selection of salads and non cooked items to choose from as well.
Our nine page menu actually has over 70 totally vegetarian items to choose from.
As for your Strawberry Lassi that was ' lacking ' in strawberry's sorry to hear that.
Please print out a copy of this feedback and I will make you a great one...on the house.
Again...thanks for your feedback .
Jim (kadampa) partner n Bliss

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not many veggy choices in town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Coming from a vegetarian friendly town I've had much better. The dishes seemed under seasoned and unflavorful. We ate here twice since my mother is a vegetarian and there arn't many veggy choices in town but the food was lacking.

On the bright side the staff was very friendly.

kadampa, Owner at Bliss Cafe, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi...and thanks for your review.

It seems we didn't meet your standard during your recent visit.
As you mentioned it is your mom who is a vegetarian who is with you when you visited twice...we hope we met her needs and tickled her taste buds as someone who ' goes veg ' everyday.

Thanks for your feedback.
Jim (kadampa)
Partner n Bliss
Luzon, Philippines
“Different Kind of Taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

When we went to Baguio last December a part of my plan is to try and dine at Bliss Cafe, after reading a lot of review for this place I am really meaning to go together with the family. For a meat lover like me it is so unusual to go for this kind of restaurant but after having a lot to eat on Christmas Eve I just want to have a different taste. We had a hard time looking for the place since we didn’t expect that the restaurant was located inside Hotel Elizabeth but we managed to find the place.

The atmosphere inside the restaurant is quite new for us kind of hesitant at first when we entered but if you are a soul guy you will like the ambience and aura you will get inside the place. Actually there is not a lot of a variety of foods on the menu but if you like Indian cuisine especially curry they have it there. For me I tried their No Oink Sisig which was quite nice and also the Pancit Bliss which is not so bad, my wife like the Chai but is too hesitant to taste the Chutney.

Just found out after getting our bill that the place is kind of expensive, me and my wife usually go to Bodhi if we crave for veggies which do have reasonable price and have a lot more variety. But the experience was nice and my family would like to be back to Bliss Café when we go back to Baguio.

• Visited December 2012
Caloocan, Caloocan, Philippines
“Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Went here with a friend for dinner . Though it was a bit late we have been entertained well . The owner of the restaurant was so warm and very accommodating. Food was superb . We were not expecting that vegetarian food could be as great as what we had. Looking forward to dining in again in February :)

1 Thank Jaycee B
Manila
“Blissful Date”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Bliss Cafe made our first wedding anniversary memorable. It was our first time to go there. I got curious with this place because of recommendations from different bloggers. Food were reasonably priced, so although we had little cash (we didn't know this cafe is "cash only"), we still managed to pay for our simple dinner date. Jim, the owner of this restaurant, was kind enough to take our pictures, and treated us with Bliss balls. The waitress (sorry, I forgot her name) was very kind and soft-spoken. The food, prepared by Shanti (Jim's wife) were really delicious. After eating, we had a short conversation with Jim and got some words of wisdom from his experiences. How rare is it to talk to the owner of an establishment like we belong to his circle of friends? It was inspiring when he said that he would be ready to use all his resources just to keep that restaurant.

The next day, we got some cash from the town proper and went back all the way to Bliss Cafe to have our lunch and try their other items from their menu. We ordered Bliss balls again. :)

• Visited January 2013