“Don't climb when it's raining...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 64 things to do in Baguio
La Trinidad, Philippines
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't climb when it's raining...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Since the Mt. Pulag is enchanted and believed to be the resting place of the ancestors, the weather is quite unpredictable. It is beyond the porters' and guides' control so to enjoy the mountain to the fullest the best time to climb is summer. Although I wasn't able to see the sun rise at Mt. Pulag's peak because of the weather it was still a very nice climb.

Visited October 2013

Kittery, Maine
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

It was way back 2011. But I loved it! Going up was a little rough. But it was all worth it once you reach the top! Magnificent view! It is a very memorable place for me. Going down is easier than going up the mountain. I went up with group of friends care of Agetyeng travel agency. We had lots and lots of fun! Superb! Looking forward to going up there again! Can't wait!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank safetravels o
Singapore, Singapore
194 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 507 helpful votes
“Excellent View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

We had perfect weather during our climb; no rain and mild wind.

The trek is tough. You will be deprived of sleep but it is well worth it.

I went with Tripinas and the tour coordinator is great.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank mousehunt
Singapore, Singapore
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Very magnificent and scenic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Provided you can survive the traveling journey from Manila city to Baguio which takes approx 6-7hours in an air con coach, another four hours bumpy ride in a jeepney, over night stay at the campsite before you wake up at 4am to trek up to the summit to enjoy the magnificent sunrise. Very challenging due to lack of sleep

Visited February 2014
Manila
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Pulag for first major climb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Our Cordillera trip last Christmas vacation commenced in Mt. Pulag. My better-half suggested we try climbing Mt. Pulag to experience very cold weather and to see the sea of clouds and spectacular sunrise. I called the office of Ma’am Albas as early as September and confirmed first week of October. Our Mt. Pulag experience in 3 parts. The first part is the trip to Bokod, second is the trek and camping and third is the summit assault.

On the first part, using our own ride, we began our trip from Baguio City at 9am of December 22. We proceeded to the dizzying Ambuklao Road, rode at the back of our truck with my 12-year old son (who insisted on proceeding with the climb despite having slight fever the night before). The views were spectacular esp. the part where Ambuklao Dam and lake can bee seen. After 2 hours of driving along steep, winding but well-paved road, we reached the DENR Office in Bokod. We parked our ride in the nearby school (Benguet State University) then proceeded to the office of Mr. Albas. We were met by Mr. Roy who was so accommodating that he stopped taking his lunch and attended to us immediately. We did the usual registration, payment of fees and bought souvenir shirts then attended the mandatory orientation or briefing.

Since there were only 3 of us, we rented 3 habal-habal rides that took us to the Ranger Station in Babadak-which is the jump-off point using the Ambangeg Trail. Each habal-habal ride costs Php250 per pax, one way. That’s Php1,500.00 round trip for the 3 of us. It was an exhilarating ride especially for someone who’s scared riding a motorcycle. We arrived at the Ranger Station after 45 minutes. We had our lunch of rice, meat loaf, softdrink and boiled eggs for only Php180 pesos. Then we registered and paid camping and entrance fees (Php430), porter fee (Php500 for the first 15 kilos) and guide fee for 3 pax (Php500). Then the trek began at 230pm.Our porter was a small lady about 4.5feet tall. She was carrying my 12-kilo backpack and our tent and tripod. I felt embarrassed because I am a foot taller than her yet I had difficult time carrying that heavy load on my back.

Now on the second part. The whole time we were talking, walking, climbing, sliding and crawling, we never ceased to be amazed and awed by the experience of being so close to nature. Moss on trees, sound of chirping birds, big rocks, tricky paths and the raw sound of mountain breeze sans honking horns from anything mechanical or from vehicles. It’s communing with nature at its best. After more than an hour of unending ascent, we reached Camp 1. We took a brief rest to catch our breath while my son munched on trail food. Then we decided to go ahead with the trek. At 545pm, we were in Camping Ground 2. It was drizzling and getting dark. Checking the camping ground, only the areas with uneven level of ground and some pebbles were the available spaces. Some campers already took the best areas. Our very caring guide placed us underneath a hut with elevated sleeping quarters. I learned that the quarters were used by guides. They helped us put up our tent and immediately after, I got inside vowed not to come out until the next day. After dinner of cup noodles and corned tuna, lights out. Then it rained the whole night. I am so grateful to our guide and the people in the quarters for allowing us to stay underneath them. Otherwise, if we pitched out tent in the open area of Camping Ground 2, we could have soaked wet on our sleeping bags.

The third and last part is the summit ascent or assault. I was already awake when the guide woke us up at 4am. It was raining. He advised that we cannot proceed that early because it was raining the whole night plus it’s still very dark. The trail may be muddy and slippery and very cold. MY HEART SANK and got really disappointed. I had two cups of coffee, had a “CR” break then sat and waited for further word from the guide. Then he advised at daylight around 730am, we can the assault. I was excited and got my camera and phone ready. We walked amidst the area carpeted by glorious dwarf bamboos then climbed with my trekking pole which is a long twig left by a fellow trekker in the Ranger station. While walking, we were greeted by strong winds, mist (plenty of it) and fog. Then the flash of my DSLR popped. Boom! We settled for “flashless” pictorials that didn’t produce impressive photos. It’s the experience which counts anyway. We trekked until we reached our destination but we couldn’t see the summit marker. We slumped on the grass after an exhausting walk. As there was no clearing we decided to return to Camping Ground 2. It was good enough for me being able to play for a brief time , in the “Playground of the Gods”. But I will definitely be back to see the famous sunrise and sea of clouds. I fell in love with Pulag! Worth a revisit!

Visited December 2013