“Adventure Above the Clouds”

Ranked #5 of 69 things to do in Baguio
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Anyone who love hiking and trekking this is great adventure. Get ready your cameras for a breath taking views, landscape, and vegetation going to this mountain. Just bring heat insulators (jackets, gloves etc.) if you will climb in cold months.

"And if you were there leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos make nothing but memories."

1  Thank mjoyl

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I went here with my brother and some colleagues last December 1, 2013 through the Ambangeg trail, also known as the exclusive trail. After an exhilarating jeepney top ride, DENR orientation (oh wait, we skipped this part.. =D ), lunch and last minute packing at the Ranger’s station, we’re all set to climb the highest mountain in Luzon.

The ambangeg trail is quite easy and you can reach the camp site within 3 to 4 hours. However, it is very muddy and slippery so it is important to wear rubber shoes. A trekking pole is also handy for the muddy portions of the trek. Also, breathing will be difficult once you climb the mountain so make sure to rest once in a while.

Once we reached the campsite, it is already cold and drizzling, so make sure to bring a poncho or rain coat. Since we arrive there around 4 pm, we quickly look for a good location and set up our tents. It is advisable to set the tents near the water station. There’s also a comfort room near the water station, but there are no lights inside so make sure to bring flashlight as well as wet wipes.

At around 3 am the next day, we begin our climb to the summit. Make sure to bring a head lamp or flash light, rain coat and jacket. The first part of the trail is established, but once you get higher it will be more muddy and yes, slippery. As I said before, a trekking pole will be very handy. After lots of slips and falls, we finally arrive at the summit. We waited for the sun to rise to see the sea of clouds. However, since it is quite foggy, we were only able to see the sun for a few minutes. Still, the view is breath taking literally and figuratively. I can’t wait to get back here and try the akiki trail!

2  Thank Riza_Rabe
Reviewed December 2, 2013

the first time we climb Pulag was Feb and it rained! it was so cold and we couldn't sleep because we were all wet even if we were inside the tent. it was tough but we survived and I felt like I can survive anything after that. Second time we climb was May. There was a little bit of rain but it stopped at night time so we were able to climb the summit. It was a great experience seeing the sunrise. It was like I was never tired. The sea of clouds were a little to far from us though so definitely coming back when I get a chance.

2  Thank KeithLacap
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Went there last April & I did not bring any bonnet or blanket because it is summer time. We slept at Camp 2 and it was very cold. Our tent was wet inside due to dew and since I am taking maintenance for high blood I had a bit difficulty in breathing maybe due to high altitude.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My group of 6 went to Mt. Pulag on a Tuesday. We took a van that cost 150php/pax from Baguio to the Mt. Pulag Visitor Center. The trip was about 2-3 hours. The people in the area are super helpful to climbers. We went to the visitor center and watched the 20 minute presentation. We were originally going to hike up to the ranger station, but since we were only going to do a 2 day/1 night trip. The person running the visitor center recommended taking a Habal-Habal. A Habal-Habal was a 125cc motorcycle where they attached your back to a rack and you ride behind the driver. The cost was 250php/pax. The one issue with me was that my backpack was super heavy, so I had to sit with my wife's bag and she sat with mine. It took approximately 45-60 min. Half of our group enjoyed the ride up the mountain on mostly dirt roads. I would say this is not for the faint hearted. The drivers were very professional and my whole group arrived to the ranger station safely.

As soon as we arrived at the ranger station we settled our guide fees and we were told our guide would meet us in 30-60 minutes. Our guide's name was Nova. She was very polite and always answered our questions. We started our trek at 1030am and we took the Ambangeg trail. We arrived at the campsite at about 1pm. We had a lunch then a few people from my group made a summit attack for sunset. It took them 1.5 hours. If you want the whole mountain to yourself, go on a non-peak day. We were the only group on Mt. Pulag. There is fresh water that you don't have to boil. I drank it and didn't have any issues. There are also CRs at the campsite. They are pretty much a small building with a hole in the ground. Bring toilet paper or baby wipes. And remember it is pack in and pack out. Please try not to leave your trash.

At 4am started our summit attack for the sunrise. We got there with plenty of time. We originally wanted to attack the summit at 3am, but our guide suggested 4am because we would be freezing up on the summit. It was a good thing we took her advice, since we still had plenty of time for the sunrise and only froze for 30 minutes in the dark. After we watched the sunrise and took pictures. We then headed back to camp, had breakfast, and broke down camp. We hiked back to the Ranger station and took the Habal-Habal back to the visitor center.

We had a wonderful time and if you are a nature lover, I would suggest this trip. And I think I saw a cloud rat scurrying around at 1am. If you don't want to plan it yourself like us. I suggest going with a group on the weekend, but I hear it gets very crowded.

We are going to try the Akiki Trail next time we go back to the Philippines.

3  Thank glcmasana