“I really don't know why this is currently #1 in TripAdvisor...”

La Comida de Antonio Ristorante
Ranked #108 of 360 Restaurants in Baguio
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Accepts catering. Ample seats and parking. Smoking & Non- smoking area. Charming ambiance. Pallete worthy adn wallet friendly. Still worth the climb. -La Comida de Antonio Ristorante Management
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We went here for dinner today because I was curious - I live in Baguio, I often dine in Oh My Gulay! which is the art resto on the floor above La Comida De Antonio, and it's only now that I've heard that this is #1.

First off, the place was dimly lit and a bit depressing even if there was a band playing and even calling out to us as we were checking out the menu outside. No real coherence to the furniture and the decorations. We decided on a table outside, which turned out to be a smoking area, so instead of us inhaling the cold mountain air, we were inhaling 2nd hand smoke. Christmas decorations outside were still up (garland, "parol" or Christmas lantern, LED icicle lights) even if it's almost half a year since Christmas already.

The upside was the service - the staff were very accommodating and friendly. However, if you are outside, it is quite difficult to get their attention - you would have to get up or speak in a really loud voice to get noticed.

The food was good - though it's not something that I would really go out of my way to eat (e.g. I'm from Manila and visiting Baguio for vacation). Crispy pata (called "Crispulo") was sooooo crispy and well-seasoned. But then, I can eat any crispy pata that's as good as or even better in Manila.

To sum it all up: didn't like the ambiance, the service and the food was good, but a restaurant that I wouldn't really recommend to friends and family visiting Baguio.

Oh well, at least my curiosity got satisfied, still have this question though...

Why is this #1?! (as of this posting)

2  Thank Vanessa S

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I heard about this place when a good friend who's a hotel manager recommended it to two of her Spanish guests. She said they loved the food and the place so much. So tonight I went to this restaurant tonight w a friend/coworker to check it out.

Upon entering, age-old chandeliers hung in the dining area but I tucked myself away in the cozy veranda overlooking the lovely Baguio cityscape. We ordered their onion soup which was delightfully warming amidst the cold weather. Then we had their specialty slow roasted chicken, Antonio. The whole chicken was so tender, fall off the bone good, well seasoned and is a hefty serving for 3 or 4. On my next visit, I shall try their ribs and callos which is for myself a comfort food from years back.

After dinner, we got to meet the owner, Antonio himself who graciously gave his own name to that dish we just devoured. He showed us around the restaurant and told us about all the details and decor that made me fall in love w this place even more. The furnishings were all old family heirlooms that each told a different story.

La Comida de Antonio has delightful Spanish and Filipino food. This place is definitely "worth the climb" as it suggests. However tucked away it is in the ever lively streets of Session, it's definitely an up and coming city treasure.

2  Thank ladymika
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We were supposed to dine in oh my gulay, but they have NO food available, then We accidentally bumped into this restaurant, and we totally didn't regret it. Great food, homey ambiance, and wonderful service! Big servings, worth the effort and money!

1  Thank earlkevin
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

I came in this restaurant with a big expectation after reading through the comments and ratings here in tripadvisor.

Reaching the restaurant is quite scary because of the dark and narrow stairs although upon reaching the restaurant, the place is open and not bad at all. We were the only customers at that time and we sat by the veranda.

My friend and I ordered their crispy salad, chicken antonio, I believe, and rice. It took a long time for our order to be served. When our salad arrived, I was shocked because it was only like mixed vegetables with sauce on top. What's more alarming is that there was a worm on our "salad". So we had to cancel that order and yet the server did not even apologize for what had happened but we just decided to let it go. After about 10 minutes more, they served the chicken, the sauce was good but it was a little dry. But, as we dig in to our food, I found long strand of hair (which made me really angry)

Overall, the service was very slow even though we were the only customers, they don't check the food before being served, and it is just a very big disappointment.

4  Thank Bb3356
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I happened to browse the review of this restaurant and immediately decided to give it a try as we were looking for dinner. I quickly called their number and asked if we could still dine in, given it was past 9 in the evening and approaching Session Road at that time. The polite lady replied on the phone they will wait for us and had some trouble looking for their building because it was not too prominent and we had to ask around about their location. Luckily, it is right in front of Robinson's supermarket along Session Road but you have to climb the stairs upto the fourth floor. The pain was all worth it I may say. :)

We ordered Crispy Pata Sinigang and we were surprised with the ample serving. We even stored in the fridge the left over because it was too big and our stomach got fuller because we ordered the Fish mango chips and Palabok. The crispy pata tastes so good that I forgot it's pork (I dont usually eat port because of that distinct taste that I hate) but this sinigang is so crispy and yummy, that the leftover was even our breakfast the next morning.

The place looks a bit outdated, but we feel comfortable, plus there's an overlooking on their veranda. Wifi was readily offered to us. Every meal has a huge serving. Even if we waited a little longer, the staff and the owner (i suppose) were accommodating and attended to our needs. I think every meal is worth trying for in this resto. We will definitely go back when I'm in Session Road again.:)

1  Thank 44Satine77