“Don't be fooled by the poetic write-ups on their leaflets or by the quaintness of the hotel.”
Review of South Drive Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baguio
South Drive Manor
Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Baguio
Reviewed May 26, 2010

This is a quaint hotel in a quiet area. And thats the only positive thing I can say about this hotel. Everything else is a disaster. We (2 adults and 3 children) were checked in at Room 304. On our first night, we found out that there is no hot water in the shower. When we checked with the front desk, we were told that there are problems with the water pipes to the 3rd floor, and they suggested that we move to the 2nd floor. Gosh, why did they not tell us in the first place when they assigned that room to us? Since the kids were all asleep, we decided to just move to the 2nd floor the next morning. We transferred our stuff to Room 204, and since there were no soap, we asked for these. They brought us two thin pieces of soap, and when we asked for more, the lady was surprised that we need more. On this morning, we invited our relatives who are staying in another hotel to have breakfast with us in this hotel's restaurant, since we found the place to be so nice. At 6:30am, I asked front desk to please be ready with tables for 12 persons by 7am. The lady seemed to discourage me by saying that the chef iwould still be in by 7am and therefore they might not be able to serve us. I said its OK since my guests would still come in at 7am. When we went to the restaurant 15 minutes later, my request for tables for 12 persons was not yet prepared. We repeated our instructions, and went to the frontyard of the hotel to have our photos taken. Our guests came, we went in the restaurant, and they have not yet prepared the tables. We had to help them prepare. Most of us ordered Baguio Longganisa for breakfast. The order taker cannot answer our queries of anything, because she was an on the job trainee. Some of our orders like bacon and bangus came in after a long wait. The waiter that brought the food was an on the job trainee, too. He even spilt the vinegar. We followed up for the longganisa. We waited for another hour. We followed up again. This time, a real waiter came and informed us casually that they had ran out of longganisa and that we order other food from the menu. I asked him why did it take them this long to inform us. His reply was he did not know of our orders, since the orders were not made through him. We went to the front desk to complain. The lady told me that the restaurant is not managed by them, and she had already complained, and that a lot of guests also complain. Thats none of my business, the resto is right in their lobby. They could have gotten another manager. The lady said she was telling me that so I would understand. Goodness, there were only 3 servers in the resto, 2 are OJTs, and they charge a full price of P150 up for each plated breakfast, and we have waited for more than an hour only to be told they cannot serve our orders and I am supposed to understand??? We paid for what were served and left. I asked for an Official Receipt, and I was asked to wait (again) as they scamper to look for their OR booklet. And, by the way, the room rates are not exactly cheap. A room for 4 adults costs P3,800. Towels are small and one towel even has a medium sized hole. No instant coffee in the room. You have to beg for tissue papers and soap. They are quite stingy with toilettries.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank Vani10

Reviewed March 12, 2010

We stayed at the Manor hotel for one night in a standard room. Location is nice if you like to be outside of Baguio center and it only takes ten minutes to get to Baguio center if you need to go there. What is missing in Baguio and that is to the advantage of the manor hotel is a good priced nice hotel in a great location. You either pay premium (Manor) or have a downtown hotel which won't get you the quiet peaceful environment.

My issues are around service and the little details. For 5200 a night I would expect a bit more efficiency and empathy from the staff. Check out took over 20minutes. Four guest in line and only one staff member taking care of the checkout while other staff members "were" busy with non guest related issues. They also told my gf that they won't put the luggage in my car without "validation" that we paid. What a big no no and quite frankly this really ticked me off. All this after they took my credit card imprint already at check in (incl. 1000 peso consumables). Two other "little" things. Chocolate in the minibar was way beyond expiry date. And the room was really loud. 2nd floor on facing the parking. At night we heard the Karaoke from the hotel lobby bar and in the morning the cars leaving. This kind of beat the purpose of being in Baguio in a quiet location.
They would have problem to fill a place like this with the issues they have at this price in Manila but again...no real competition.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AxelKr
Reviewed August 23, 2009

All of the rooms are beautiful, with the exception of the two rooms with twin beds which face a wall. The rooms have small refrigerators and hot water kettles with free coffee. The bathrooms are very nice and there are plenty of amenities: shampoo, toothbrushes, etc... Our room had two double beds with high thread count bed linen and four (!) pillows. The rooms facing the valley have the best view, but there is some noise from the street directly below their balconies. If you want a very quiet room, take a room overlooking the parking area.

There is a restaurant on the ground floor which we were told was not owned by the hotel. This became apparent when we tried to have breakfast there. They had neither pancakes nor waffles, nor eggs, nor toast, etc.. They offered only four choices, of which only the tapas were palatable. They served a cup of coffee that was very, very weak and had to be sent back. The mango shake was not particularly good, either. I would strongly recommend anyone staying at this hotel to take their breakfast elsewhere!

The asking price for the rooms with two double beds is 2,800 pesos, but they quickly offered it for 2,000 pesos when we hesitated. There seemed to be few other guests, but this was during the rainy season when even Camp John Hay Manor cuts its rate to 2,900 pesos. I can recommend this hotel to visitors who would like to be close to town, but not in center of town with the attendant problems of traffic, noise and polluted air.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Morocho
Reviewed September 9, 2008

South Drive Manor hotel has been a favorite for years. It is located way out of the populated session road, offering the guests a relatively quieter setting.

Great view from the terrace. The view are greeneries (much pine trees), teachers camp below, far away you can the SM white cap :) We take out the coffee table and bring them out to the terrace. This is where we lounge, watch cars drive by, people watch and chat and snack and always eat at least one breakfast.

We have a favorite room. It's on the 3rd floor with terrace. But the last time we went (in June), we saw a room on the 2nd floor which looks better. Next time, we are going to request that room :) Anyway, the rooms do not have airconditioning. It is no issue actually because of the cool baguio weather. But if you feel it is not enough, they can provide you with electric fan or fans for that matter.

Am very particular abt bath details. It is the first thing i check in an accommodation. I check if the place has sufficient and clean towels, hotel standard water (hot and cold with pressure), enough toiletries. And, South Drive Manor has obviously aged. It needs uplifting (rusting and dismantled bath fixtures). The towels are sufficient and clean though (maybe because i was the only one who used the towels. My company didn't want to use hotel towels).

The food is ok. It has improved (from the past experience). Was not disappointed with my meal when i tried it this time. "medyo" understaff lang because the front desk girl is also the person who gets the orders; and the one who gets the food from the kitchen and the one who serves the food. So, i didn't bother to order again. I just waited for her to finish serving the other table before asking for the bill. The management can improve the lobby, lounge and dining area. They can also look at improving their menu so they have additional come on for guests...or maybe other hotels' guests. You can never underestimate the power of "word of mouth" and blogs and travel advisors :)

Our room rate is 2.8k for a twin bed.

In the morning or afternoon, you can take a leisurely walk along the road below. It is downhill to BCC and Camp John Hay. So the challenge is going back to the hotel :) Teachers Camp now has an oval. It is a walk away from the hotel. You can challenge yourself further there :-)

Over all, South Drive Manor with all it's room for improvement, can still be a favorite place for me.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank Chaneverly
Reviewed February 22, 2007

I enjoyed my stay for 3 days.. that was the holidays.. and everything was so cool that i want to go back again this 2007. The place was cool that it has a view of cool pine trees overlooking the near by city proper like the shoe mart. Employees were accommodating with a smile and also additional greeting of korean word "hello".

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank chunkee
A TripAdvisor Member
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 14, 2006

Have you ever been fooled into staying at a hotel or lodge because of a nice-looking website or worse, a bogus review planted by the hotel themselves? Well, I have!

South Drive Manor's main draw is its enviable location perched atop Teacher's Camp in a relatively unpolluted part of town. This is where it begins. And this is where it ends.

After an hour of checking in the hotel, I was feeling uneasy about the cleanliness of the place and true enough, when I looked under the bed, it looked like the room had not been cleaned for months. I even saw a cockroach. The toilet failed to flush.

After demanding a new room, we were hastily ushered into the next door room and the toilet reeked of urine
evidence of the place's utmost filthiness.

And to top it all, when I requested instant coffee(standard on hotels in this price range) I was charged for it!

I immediately checked out of the hotel the next morning and when I looked for the manager to complain about the place, the employees claimed he wasn't around!

This is not a fake or planted post!

• Stayed: April 2005