“good value for money”

Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Baguio
London, United Kingdom
“good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

We chose this hotel mainly on its location and the basis of the TripAdvisor reviews we read. The best thing about it is its location with parking underneath but there is a price to be paid for this: it can be very noisy if you have a front balcony room. But, if you do have one you can enjoy the hustle and bustle from the comfort of your balcony.
Rooms are spacious, especially if you have a larger one. There is a desk table two chairs and a modern plasma screen TV as well as air con. The bathroom was adequate with a good supply of hot water, if a little slow for bathtub users, and I would caution you to take care exiting the bath/shower as you could slip.
We ate in the Veniz grill for breakfast which had a good range of fairly average dishes but you will find something you like even if you are not Filipino. We tried it for lunch and it was reasonable value but we did not try it for its evening buffets as we were put off by some reviews. Fortunately you are never too far from a decent restaurant from this hotel.
WiFi was unreliable and disappointing on the sixth floor. If you want reliable communication from our room you really should get a carrier pigeon but that is our only real grumble about the hotel. Checking in and out was easy and the staff on the front desk were efficient and helpful. The other staff were what we had now come to expect in the Philippines: nice kids who were helpful and tried to please you rather than slick professionals.
All in all hotel Veniz was good, or rather very good, value for money and we would certainly stay there again. It is true that it is showing its age a bit but if you want shiny rooms and facilities you probably won’t get them at this price: you will have to pay double to get a four star establishment.

Room Tip: Decide if you want a balcony room as it can be a little noisy
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Czech first
Caloocan, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Perfect location-located in the heart of Baguio,across Burnham Park,a few steps from the night and public market.you just dont feel the coolness of Baguio that much because its in the middle of the crowded city.Pastries in the hotel cafe are really good and they accept sodexo GC's as payment for everything thats inside the hotel.Checking in is a nightmare because it takes forever and the frontdesk staff needs to learn the meaning of "customer service".All the reviews about bad customer service of Hotel Veniz frontdesk staff are all true, even the foreign guest i talked to feel the same way.You're killing the tourism business of your city frontdesk staff!

Room Tip: "choose the executive suites in the 6th floor where you can see the whole city"
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Peter F
Baguio, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We booked our rooms through a 3rd party agent, which was smooth. I called to ask what time check-in was before we left our condo, because we were travelling on a bus in the middle of the night from Manila to avoid heavy traffic. The person who answered the phone told me that it was normally noon or so, but if our reserved room was available we could check in at anytime that day.
I specifically asked if 6 or 7 am would be ok, because that did seem early to me. "Yes ma'am, that is ok" is the answer I received. Well, we arrived at 8 am, and the front-desk clerk wanted to charge me for a half day to check in before the check-in time. I was livid. My 5-year old son, myself and my husband sat around for about an hour and a half, exhausted, frustrated, etc.. before I finally got mad enough and talked to a manager. After explaining everything, (I would have been ok with taking a later bus, but had made this decision based on my phone call) the manager allowed us to check-in early. I am glad they made it right. Finally, some thorough and good customer service. Another good thing I can say about their customer service is that they locked our bags in a closet for us while we were sitting around waiting so that we could go to McDonalds or something. That was cool.

The room was decent. The bathroom was clean, the desk, closet, counters, etc. were clean, the TV was nice size and new. Our balcony was awesome, and the room had hot water and air conditioner. My one MAJOR complaint was the carpet. After walking on it for no more than 10 minutes, my feet were seriously black. I was mortified! We had to go to SM to buy slippers, I didn't bring them because the hotel was supposed to be pretty nice-ish. I did notify the manager and clerk of the floor when we checked out.

The rest of our stay was without problems. Check-out was easy. Location was great! Most everything was within walking distance or very short taxi ride. I would probably stay there again, but maybe not.

Room Tip: I liked the balcony room, sixth floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gwargrrl
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

For me always important is:
Location - here central, walking distance to Session Road, Burnham Park etc.
Free WFI, even in the rooms. Although I heard in some rooms more far from the center is no wfi
Non Smoking rooms - only smoking areas outside
The rooms are comfortable and clean.
Staff very freindly
Free car park
Price, ok could be a little cheaper

Negative for me was:
Rooms to the Park or Street very loud, the other rooms which are quiet have a window with no view.
The lift takes for ever
Check in and check out could be quicker

Room Tip: Take a room with no window or not to the street. I would say 5th and 6th floor are the best. Ask be...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BognotLodge
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

the good: the balcony & the location. our room directly faces Burnham Park and we got front seats view of the fireworks display at new year's eve. just an overpass away from the bottom end of session road and across Maharlika market, which makes pasalubong shopping convenient.

the bad: took us 1.5hrs to check in and had to constantly follow up reception; heard someone else say someone who came later before us was given priority check-in, which is not fair given that i have a young child in tow. dirty carpet. room had personal kits & slippers for 1 person only. very noisy even up to the 5F since a jeepney terminal & junction is just right in front. breakfast is below average.

if you can,stay somewhere else. have stayed in a better hotel within the area for a much lower price, minus the dirt and noise, and with much better food and ambiance.

Room Tip: highest floor possible, and hopefully not the rooms facing burnham park else your room will be facin...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Calamba, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

The hotel maybe right smack in the middle of a crowded city a stone throw away from the a beautiful riot that is the Night Market at Harrison Road or the always calm and whimsical Burnham Park.. I enjoyed my trip last year January of 2013. Friendly staff that will greet you good morning or they will greet you back if ever you greet them. Assistance is very efficient. I say try it out, just don't miss your free breakfast, you get to have hot breakfast served buffet style, I suggest doing it after having a morning jog or walk at Burnham Park or along Session or Harrison Rd.

Though I might not book this hotel again, because I always want to experience new places (I'll book a Transient house next time).

Overall I give it a 4/5

Room Tip: book online
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JMKENOLA
Makati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Our room is old and very dark. The things that I love about Hotel Veniz are its location, price and staff. Booking through phone is reliable and efficient. Staff are also considerate, polite and very approachable. Breakfast buffet is average. Accommodation rate is reasonable. Security is good.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends