“Strange but nice”

Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Baguio
Hong Kong
“Strange but nice”
Reviewed February 3, 2007

A lot of hotels boast about design by Philippe Starck, but this place feels as if it's been designed by David Lynch. It's like stepping onto the set of Twin Peaks.

Reasonable prices, huge guest rooms, and friendly staff. The only problem I encountered was that there was wasn't much hot water for the shower - it gets cold at night here and an icy finish to your shower isn't the best way to end your evening.

A very strange place, but also strangely comforting and relaxing.

• Liked — Otherworldly ambience
  • Disliked — Insufficient hot water
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
10 Thank andrewlm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed January 14, 2007

John Hay Manor is situated within Camp John Hay which is arguably the best area in Baguio City. This was formerly United States property -- an R&R location for military personel which has been turned into a leisure complex housing a golf course, butterfly sanctuary, convention center, coffee shops and restaurants, etc. The place has great mountain views, walking trails and parks which can be enjoyed amidst cool weather.

We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was quite spacious. The bedroom had 2 double beds, a bathroom with separate shower area and tub. The living area had a sofa (with a pull out bed) and two armchairs, a toilet and shower, a kitchenette with a microwave oven, coffee making facilities and a dining table. I liked the size of the room -- we were 4 pax and could have easily accommodated 2 more. Service was efficient, check in was quick, requests from housekeeping were attended to within minutes -- even at 2am. The buffet breakfast was just ok, but I would have liked a selection of cold cuts which is standard in most hotels. However, the private buffet dinner at Le Chef that we attended was excellent from the salad, pasta, roast lamb to the sinful desserts.

Note that the hotel has no airconditioning due to Baguio's naturally cool weather. While the temperature in our room was just right (we would close the windows if it got a little chilly) I do wonder if the place would be too warm during the summer. Other things I wished for would be an option for overhead lighting -- the room was dim, lit mostly by yellow-toned lamps, more closet space, more furniture and modern key card-type locks on the doors.

The Manor is not a 5 star hotel, but is easily one of the best in Baguio. Its secluded location, rustic log-cabin design, good food and peaceful surroundings make it a good choice for those who don't want to encounter the crowded and over commercialized side of Baguio City, yet still have some access to dining, shopping and other conveniences.

Stayed January 2007
14 Thank vanilla_bean
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 12, 2007

First of all, I concur with the previous post 100 percent.

I had a chance to stay at Camp John Hay Manor during the first week of January 2007, for a 2 night stay, and I can say that I was very disappointed.

For those of you who are not familiar with Baguio or Philippines, Baguio is a city about 150 miles north of Manila, situated high up on the mountains. Because of its high geographical location, the weather is a lot more pleasant than other places in Philippines; thus, it is known as the summer capital of Philippines, so I was told.

Unfortunately, other than the weather, everything else in Baguio is very disappointing. To get to Baguio, I took Asian Spirit from Manila to Baguio as this is the quickest way to reach Baguio. From the moment I arrived, however, I was very disappointed with Baguio.

First, unbeknownst to me then, the taxi drivers waiting for passengers outside the Loakan airport frequently rip off tourists by overcharging rides to the hotels (note: be careful especially of the driver who drives taxi with the license plate number AYJ 523). I unfortunately fell victim to this and even though the amount lost was just a few dollars, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Once I got to the hotel, I went to the receptionists to ask for my room, but as the previous poster stated, I could not believe the arrogant (and indifferent) attitude displayed by them. Even though I was a guest at their hotel, they forced me to wait for several minutes while they were attending to whatever they were doing and at that moment, I felt like going to another hotel, if I had known of other hotels around Baguio. Anyway, I finally got to my hotel room, and the room itself is not so bad.

The next day, I went downstairs to have breakfast which is included with the room, and I have to say that this is also very disappointing. The breakfast is an American style breakfast with some Filippino food mixed in. They also serve fresh fruits and drinks which was a nice touch. However, overall, the food quality was mediocre and definitely, compared to the breakfast experience that I had at other vacation spots in South East Asia, it was truly disappointing.

The hotel grounds are not so bad. It reminded me of being in a cabin near Grand Canyon. I also went to a local mall called SM which was not too bad, although it was a bit too crowded.

It's too bad that Filippinos are NOT friendly to tourists. Compared to my other stays in other parts of South East Asia (for example, in Bangkok and other places in Thailand where the people there are so much nicer and friendlier to foreigners), my view is that Filippinos are just not that nice to foreigners.

Another word of caution. At the airport in Manila, the Customs officers will "throw" your passport at you which I thought was so unprofessional and inconsiderate. Also, don't be surprised if the taxi drivers in Manila and the people working at the airport treat you unfairly.

Overall, if you can, avoid Philippines, Baguio and Camp John Hay Manor hotel.

Stayed January 2007
27 Thank starcrest
Dallas
Reviewed December 8, 2006

I've stayed at this hotel about 200 days over the past few years, always on long-stay business. I somewhat dread each new stay here, but options in Baguio are limited.

Below is an accurate and honest assessment for those considering staying at this hotel. No attempt to be overly critical, just the facts.

The bad:
1. Rooms are not well maintained - carpets are filthy in every room in which I’ve stayed, showered missing soap dishes, look hardware such as tower racks, malfunctioning closet doors and lights, etc. This completely detracts from any sense of cleanliness in the rooms.
2. Internet access is a problem (okay, it’s just plain bad). Internet should be free, especially for long term guests spending $2-3K per stay. You have to buy a card from the front desk, "scratch" of the back to review a long code, and enter this code each time you need access. Around $6 for five hours (don’t laugh). Both the cost and process are essentially ridiculous and indicates management's priority is not the guest convenience.
3. Hot water is generated by a very small tank in each room. Water temperature is so hot as to be a hazard if guest is not aware of it. Hot water lasts about 4-5 minutes. Terrible design.
4. There is a bar in the middle of the hotel which is extremely loud almost every night. Very load piano, amplified singing, laughter, etc. The halls to the rooms are essentially open to this bar area and the sound reverberates through the air and walls. There really should be some attempt to keep the noise level down to a reasonable level for people that need to work and sleep in their rooms.
5. Parking is terrible. They progressively remove more and more parking. Currently, they have about 30% of the parking required. It was woefully insufficient to begin with and now it just makes shake your head with frustration. Now you basically have to park down a hill in a little commercial shop area and walk back up the hill to the hotel. This is very inconvenient and your car is basically parks in a very busy and constricted public parking lot.
6. I have not had a stay yet where I did not encounter roaches in my room at some point. They put out notices that they spray a lot, but you will see roaches in your room.
7. Front desk help can frequently be pretty arrogant. Like they are doing you a favor if help you sometimes.
8. No climate control – hot in summer, cold in winter. This is the norm for Baguio, but be prepared as this can be pretty unpleasant during the warmer seasons.

The good:
1. The employees overall are friendly (except, at times, front desk).
2. Location is okay, safer and healthier than the city area.
3. Food is acceptable, though pricey and portions are generally small.
4. Breakfast is okay.
5. Water is soft unlike most other hotels in Baguio, which have high mineral content.

Summary:
If you’re spending you own money, I’d recommend other hotels closer to the city. If cost isn’t an issue, then JHM is can be tolerated for awhile.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
29 Thank Mortal1
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed September 19, 2006

Well, the place is ok, cute log cabin interiors. Nice vibe going. But if you are the type that gets warm easily, oh no, there is no air conditioning. I guess this doesnt matter in the cooler months but during the hotter months you'll have to make do with a ceiling fan. The bathroom doesnt feel ultra clean (I dont know if its because the tiles aren't white) but in any case, the towels have definitely seen better days. Bring your own, if you are picky. Lastly, if you are sensitive to noise, oh no, you can hear the noise from the hallway, which is annoying when there are lots of kids running around.
Well, having said all this, its still ok to stay here cos the beds are comfy anyway, and you have a nice restaurant below, that overlooks a garden.

Stayed April 2006
8 Thank piccolita
manila
Reviewed September 13, 2006

I was in manor for 4 days and 3 nights. It was my first time to stay there and i am so delighted with the service. I had wonderful experience and had fun during my stay there.

I enjoyed the music played by David(the pianist). I celebrated my birthday at the manor. I enjoyed the sumptious food from Le Chef (Breakfast and lunch buffet). I even enjoyed my room's location (rm 204) coz its fronting the lobby of the hotel wherein you can over hear the music played by david even im just inside my room. How i wish i could sing the song played by David during my stay at the manor but quite shy.... but next time i definitely will.

I salute the waiters/servers . They 're all customer oriented.

To the mgt and staff of Camp John Hay Manor thank you so much for making my vacation day a truly memorable one. Congratulations and more power. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!!!!

Of course, special mention : I want to acknowledge the service of Louie and Aya.

To the mgt of Manor Hotel, you need employees like them. Dedicated and very customer oriented too. Hope you keep them forever.

Mitch

• Liked — AMBIANCE/SERVICES
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
6 Thank STAGUSTINE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed July 11, 2006

A friendly and attentive staff, a spacious and very comfortable suite, a top-notch and delectable restaurant and delicatessen, a pampering and delightful health club, picturesque mountain views and a marvelously dramatic colonial ambience all make for a wonderful reunion with family where we talked into the night and just plain enjoyed being "home". We took advantage of a special discount of 50% off for a minimum of two nights and booked a two-bedroom suite with two very spacious bedrooms, three bathrooms, a living room, a dining room, three televisions for P4,600 per night (read at least P52=$1). It was the most luxurious stay I have ever had at a hotel. Bravo to the staff for a friendly, discreet, and wonderfully attentive service. Thanks to my sister for taking care of the booking.

• Stayed July 2006