“A taste of old Baguio”

Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Baguio
Nairobi, Kenya
“A taste of old Baguio”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

You'll need a vehicle or need to get used to taking taxis if you decide to stay at this hotel, as it is not within walking distance from most of the attractions in Baguio City. In my case, the distance was a plus as it allowed us to appreciate the City of Pines more.

We reserved a superior room (pine forest view) which was quite spacious and did look out into a pine forest. The room had no air-conditioning, but keeping the windows open provided enough cool and fresh air for a pleasant stay. I liked the room layout, which separated the bathroom and dressing area from the rest of the room and also had a little corner for preparing tea and coffee. The room set-up allowed my mom, who got up earlier than I did, to start her day's rituals without really disturbing my sleep.

Our room faced the main driveway of the hotel, so we could hear some noise from the outside, in particular, the sound of vehicles driving to and from the hotel. We were located on the second floor, which meant that when the door leading to corridor where the lift was located was not shut, we could hear the music from the bar and smell the food being cooked for breakfast.

The main disappointment with the hotel was the service at the restaurant. There could have been much more attention to detail (e.g., making sure there was a teaspoon with the coffee cup and saucer) and more organization in the service (it often took a couple of minutes before our requests were attended to). Having said that, the breakfast buffet (which was not included in the special rate I received) provide ample choices, and the dinner selections were adequate.

Try to spend some time in the bar if you like listening to sentimental music from the past. If you are lucky enough to be in Baguio during the dry season, build in some time for walking around the camp. Horseback riding and golf are also good options if you are into these activities.

A final note: The reservation form gives you the impression that the full cost of your room would be charged against your credit card upon confirmation of your reservation, although this is not the case. They simply want you to give your credit card details as a guarantee. Getting all my questions answered before I decided to confirm my reservation took a bit of back and forth by e-mail, but eventually, all my questions were responded to satisfactorily.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, I would suggest that you choose a room that faces the other side of the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
TheManorcjh, Rooms Division Manager at The Manor at Camp John Hay, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Talampakan,

Thank you for your valuable review. Your feedback is encouraging as we strive to provide our guests a memorable experience.

We are glad to know that you had an overall satisfactory stay in our hotel and particularly appreciated our spacious rooms which provided comfort for both you and your mom.

We are sorry to hear that you felt disappointed with our restaurant service. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we can move forward and ensure that this not happen in the future.

Your comment reading our reservation form has been shared with our Reservation Department for review to further improve our products and services.

Once again thank you for your review. We would love to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Manor at Camp John Hay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Malabon, Philippines, Asia
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Me and my Gf stayed at The Manor for 2 nights on july 15-17 2014, it was our 5th aniv. Celebration and 1st time in Baguio together.
We chose the Room facing the Garden, The Superior Room doesn't have a balcony but it's big and has a big window where you can see the great view of Mountains and their garden.
I really love the view, it's awesome!
When we were in Baguio we saw lots of hotels but they don't have a Great view of Mountains and they don't have a beautiful Garden.
It is also a secured place to stay because it is inside the camp.
The price is a bit cheaper coz it's rainy season so we got the room for 50% off, great deal right?.
We never tried their food coz it's a bit expensive for us but I bet it's good.
The hotel is far from the city where you always have to take a cab but it will only cost P50-60 or $1.50.
Cab or taxi is not a problem coz there's a lot! But there's some restaurants inside the camp just few walk away from the hotel.
The staff were friendly and if you have something to ask like to get a cab they will do it right away.
We really enjoyed our stay at The Manor and If I will go back in Baguio i'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank domzki
TheManorcjh, Rooms Division Manager at The Manor at Camp John Hay, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear domzki,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at The Manor at Camp John Hay. We wish to greet you and your girlfriend a Happy Anniversary. We are honored to be a part of your celebration.

We were delighted to read that you appreciate the great view of the Cordillera Mountains, our beautiful garden, security and friendly staff. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our facilities and services. Your kind words have been shared with the whole team.

We thank you for your patronage and we hope you continue celebrating your special occasions with us.
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Booked the hotel because of the tripadvisor ranking! And this hotel was ranking excellent with very good reviews. Stayed here 1 night and it was a great experienced! Very friendly staffs and very accommodating! The room was nice and very comfortable and relaxed! Hotel inside the Camp
John Hay compound is totally great! Fresh air, lovely trees, super clean and free from any noise, hassles, and pollutions! We had a great walk outside the hotel too! Will probably come back here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
TheManorcjh, Rooms Division Manager at The Manor at Camp John Hay, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear RomanYen,

It has been our pleasure to be of service to you. We would like to thank you for sharing with us your excellent stay in our hotel.

We are grateful for the good points you enumerated in your review. It gives us a sense of reward whenever our guests appreciate our facilities, amenities and service.

We are excited for you r next visit. We look forward to welcoming you at The Manor at Camp John Hay.
Mandaluyong, Philippines
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The Manor is a true 5-star hotel! the scenic view, great food, polite staff and the rooms! we love the stores in the lobby where they sell expensive but super yummy cakes and other baguio delicacies. The suites have just about everything. the outside scenery is amazing, the hotel is housed inside camp john hay. within it, there are a variety of other restaurants, bars, stores, more of nature, and my favorite, a golf course. it's worth the money when you visit baguio and have a great vacation! this is the place if you want some peace and quiet away from the stressful noisy city. we will always go back here whenever we visit baguio, either with family and friends.

Room Tip: peacfe and quiet, cold breeze, relaxation!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank yosefallain22
Dear yosefallain22,

Thank you for choosing us as the Best Hotel in the City of Pines. Getting valuable feedback from guests is always appreciated.

I’m glad to learn that you had a great vacation and particularly enjoyed the scenic view, great food, polite staff and rooms.

Aside from the facilities the hotel has to offer, I’m also glad that you were able to enjoy the restaurants bars, and stores within the camp.

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you, your family and friends in the future.
Old Fort, North Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This was my first trip to Baguio and it was awesome.Great staff beautiful rooms and great service.I will stay again !!!! And by the way, the room service was the best i have experienced abroad.Thanks to all of the staff at Manor for a great visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tony T,

We are honored that you chose to stay at The Manor at Camp John Hay on your first trip to Baguio. Indeed, we take pride in the great service of our staff and beautiful rooms.

Thank you for your feedback on our room service. Your kind words will definitely be shared with the team.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to your return.
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

It was really a great experience to stay in The Manor. Before we went there we already have done some research and read some reviews so from the reviews they said that its the best hotel, upon checking the place itself its really stunning. I love the smell when you come inside the lobby it smells like fresh pine tree, it made me smile, then i went to the receptionist her name was Marj. I'd like to commend her for being so friendly and helpful. I also liked the Moringa tea i think it was. I don't drink tea but this time i loved it! We went to the room and accompanied by Ron he was so friendly too i also like to commend him. he even took our pictures with smile. i really like the staffs they all wear smiles and gives warm greetings. The room so nice. The only thing that was not so nice was the smell of the room its kinda old it would be great if it smells like pine trees or flowers but it didn't bother me at all. The view from our room was so breath taking its awesome! I really like the lights in the garden. I like the bathroom too it was so clean im very specific with bathroom but The Manor did not fail me. What i like the most is the saving that we got from the promotion they have. Another thing was we hear some noise since they were renovating the place but the good thing was they already made us aware of it so it didnt ruin our stay. I'd like to visit again or shall i say I'll definitely visit again. I actually dream of helding my future wedding here. :)

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Krystal U
Dear Krystal U,

On behalf of The Manor at Camp John Hay, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for sharing with us your great experience with our hotel.

We were very pleased to know that you had an overall excellent stay in our hotel and particularly appreciated the stunning view of the property, smell of the lobby, clean and comfortable rooms and friendly staff. Your kind words have been shared with the whole team.

Your comment regarding the smell of the room has been shared with our Executive Housekeeper. Rest assured that we will take necessary measures to avoid recurrence.

You might be pleased to know that we are currently upgrading our room facilities in order to serve you better. We apologize for the inconvenience and we wish to thank you for your understanding.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to be a part of your dream wedding in the not too distant future.
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Went to the manor for spa day with my mom and cousin. We usually go there for body scrubs which costs about Php600 per person which may seem a bit pricey to the naked eye however, if you include the free use of the gym facilities, the Jacuzzi and the sauna, the price is actually a great bargain without the compromise of quality for each facility and treatment. The only drawback I would say, is that there was only one therapist when we went there which I guess is understandable since we came on weekday morning. Overall, our day there was the epitome of relaxation. Thumbs up to the CJH Manor Spa.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
TheManorcjh, Rooms Division Manager at The Manor at Camp John Hay, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear jetbey,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Manor Health Spa.

We were very pleased to learn that you, your mom and cousin had a relaxing experience and particularly enjoyed the free use of our facilities.

We have taken note of your concern regarding the schedule of our therapists. For your convenience we recommend that you book at least 1 day in advance for us to make the necessary arrangements.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.