“Luxury on a budget”

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Baguio
Zamboanga City, Philippines
“Luxury on a budget”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Booked a room online via their hotel website. Paid 2,900/ night exclusive of breakfast. Also requested a room with a balcony and a nice view, which was also provided for by the management. I tried to extend our booking but unfortunately all suites were booked for an upcoming rotary meeting/convention. Amenities include hairdryer and safety box. Toiletries are provided also (but for one person??? only). Good thing my hubby and i brought our own. No slippers provided so you have to bring your own. Its a walking distance from the commissary MILE HI, which you'll find restos, and stores who provide export over runs of branded products. Its hard for tourists if you don't have your own vehicle, since only a few taxis pass by the hotel. On the other hand , you can go down to the commissary where it is frequented by taxis.

Room Tip: Request a room on the south side, and on higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Theforestlodge, Front Office Manager at The Forest Lodge at Camp John Hay, responded to this review, October 3, 2015

Thank you for sharing your valuable comment in the TripAdvisor Community.

We would like to invite you once again to stay with us on your next trip in the City of Pines. It is always our pleasure to have you and your family with us.

We hope to see you soon at The Forest Lodge at Camp John Hay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Obviously, i and my husband love this place so much. We often spend our weekend here and dont go out to other places, only in John Hay Camp. Once, we found ourselves in Baguio without any plans. We called this hotel in the morning, and they said they have an available room for that day, and in an hour we already in our car drove from Manila to Baguio (5 hours driving). That's how we love about this place.

The hotel is simpler and calmer compared with The Manor, although it shares similar interior design. The lobby is huge and homy. I love the "On Call Band" who is playing in the lobby every Saturday night. I was here on the Earth Day Hour. At that time, the hotel turn off all the electricity and they provided candles everywhere. The ambience became so romantic and perfect with great voices from the band and a cup of coffee with cake. It was really a very nice and unforgettable experience.

The superior room is big and enough for 4. The bed is cozy and big.
The rate is reasonable, but the hotel will charge us for 600 php, if the occupancy is more than 2 people in a room.
The amenities in the room is simple (it has hair dryer and safety box), but we can ask housekeeping if we need something else.
The TV is not flat screen, but it's just okay (though i hope, they will change it to flat screen TV :P )

All in all, i like this place, my hiding place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank J2NN

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Recently went there for 4n5d short vacation. Here's the + and - comments combined

- Service frm the hotel esp from Zaldy was superb
- Hotel was in a good location
- 2 big twin bed(actually I think it's a queen bed hehe)
- Pillows and mattress were not so hard neither so soft,just nice
- can request for a water heater - for coffee in the morning:)
-Service was fast
- Check in didn't take long but first night they put us in a room without balcony although I was promised thru email that my room is reserved already a month before my arrival (upper room with forest view and balcony)
The next day Zaldy gave me a surprise when he called in and told us we can transfer to the next room (room 358)which was promised-with a balcony!yey:-) that's what you call customer service- they won't just say sorry,they'll look for things to make your stay comfortable and a memorable one.
- breakfast not included in the hotel rate
- Restaurant has a very limited menu
- bathroom was ok,well atleast it's clean
- no wifi in the room (that's why I think the lobby has a lot of people evrytime bt not crowed as well(lobby has a lot of nice sofas)
-I love the feeling of this hotel,once you go in you can feel that you're really in for a holiday treat! (maybe coz it's also designed like cabin - I like the mountain cabin feel
-You'll have enough exercise coz everytime you go to mile hi to eat or something,you have to walk,its an uphill-but hey it's normal you're in the mountain - so no weight gain lol:-)
-Once you stay in the hotel,you wouldn't want to go out-its that comfortable ;-)
-you have to buy the slippers though
- We have to request for a safe
- Garden in The Manor was very nice,it's a long stretch of green^.^
- Staff are very polite -you pass by the hall,or in the lobby or anywhere they'll greet you!
- you can use the piano and sing with the band as well, my sis-in-law literally every night stayed and played/sing with the band

Next time I would want to try the breakfast at the manor and cafe batirol nearby(i thnk) whch we missed coz we always wake up late hehe..too comfortable ^.^

All in all its perfect and would definitely come back!

Kudos to all hotel staff;-)

• Stayed March 2013

San Fernando, Philippines
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Situated in Camp John Hay where the location is nice and refreshing, the hotel is a part of Manor Hotel having the same service and rooms. The rooms are very clean and fragrant but not classy. The rate of the hotel is also available, however, they do not offer any breakfast on their publish rates. They also dont have a coffee making facility in the room. No wifi as well. Although the hotel is nice, I will probably use another hotel when I come back here in Baguio City as I want the services I mentioned in a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lonewolfshifter

Baguio, Philippines
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Being in the wedding industry, I always look for hotels and restaurants that cater to the needs and requiremnets of my brides wanting to have a rustic -themed wedding. The Forest Lodge at Camp John Hay is one of them.

This hotel is a picturesque mountain event venue offering a breathtaking setting for your wedding reception, engagement party, bridal shower, rehearsal dinner , renewal of vows or to spend your honeymoon. Besides catering to wedding occasions, they also host family reunions, company parties, retreats, birthday parties, bachelorette/bachelor parties, baby showers, anniversaries, and everything in-between!

Rooms: The quiet and romantic setting, spacious and cozy rooms offer the sanctuary you want for your out-of-town guests and wedding party.The bedroom has two substantial, luxurious and comfortable beds with soft supple pillows and clean fresh linens. It has huge flat-screen TV with cable connection, telephone, vanity mirror and clean organized closets.

Dining: Guests can dine at the onsite restaurant The Twist where a variety of delicious dishes are served. Guests who love Pinoy comfort foods will be delighted to know that fried rice, longanisa, corned beef and other favorites are a staple for breakfast. Continental meals of breads and pastries with jam and jelly, fruit juice and various hot beverages are served as well and luscious desserts of fresh fruits in platters are a tasty delight for the health conscious.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

qc
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My favorite hotel in Baguio has always been The Manor at Camp John Hay. When I learned that they were opening another hotel property close by, I knew I had to see if it was as good as The Manor. The Forest Lodge lived up to my expectations, and more! They have huge suites with the same comfortable bed, furnishing, and high-end amenities as The Manor, at very affordable rates. The service of the staff is as top-notch as that of The Manor. Very warm, friendly, and efficient. The food is of the same excellent quality as Le Chef's, since the iconic Chef Billy King also runs the restaurant located at the spacious lobby of The Forest Lodge. All the things I love about The Manor are replicated with care at The Forest Lodge by the same management group as The Manor. Kudos to the team of GM Ramon Cabrera. I have another favorite hotel to stay in when I'm in Baguio - The Forest Lodge at Camp John Hay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank anabelleochoa

Thank you for sharing your valuable comment in the TripAdvisor Community.

We would like to invite you once again to stay with us during your next visit in the City of Pines. It will always be a pleasure to have you and your family with us.

We hope to see you once again at The Forest Lodge at Camp John Hay.
makati
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm hearing a lot of good testimonies from The Forest Lodge, a new hotel inside Camp John Hay. And for me, I still need to prove it.

My friends recommended that if I want to have a reservation I need to look for the name Neil. So I looked for him and he got my reservation and noted for my request. He is really accommodating, speaks good English and very helpful. Upon arrival I saw him at the front desk with a big smile and greeted me together with the other friendly staff. He asked how's my trip, and I really appreciate that! It seems they are happy that we came, they are excellent! The lobby is really big, I think it can accommodate 100 people with big couches and a fireplace. BEAUTIFUL!

In my room that I requested, I was amazed with the view (mountain view). You can see the sunrise and you can feel that you're away from the city. Very refreshing. You can breath fresh air. For the bed, I felt comfortable, the linens are white and clean but there's no slippers in the room. And the lady in the front desk informed me that I need to buy it for 40.00. But that's okay.

Staying at this hotel is really impressive with that amount and quality service they provide. From the time I reserved a room, from checking in and out, my family and I really appreciate all especially Neil and staff. And my friends are correct, and I proved it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank joydeguzman_13

Thank you for sharing your valuable comment in the TripAdvisor Community.

We hope to see you once again at The Forest Lodge at Camp John Hay.