“Almost Perfect”
Review of Le Monet Hotel

Le Monet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 72 Specialty Lodging in Baguio
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Liked this hotel for the following:
1. Location - situated inside CJH
2. Staff - friendly and efficient
3. Amenities - its a new hotel, so everything is still clean and working.
4. Heated toilet seat - how amazing is that. It's also self-flushing ;)
5. What you see in their website pics, is what you'll get.
6. TV in the bathroom - my son finds this so cool but since its mounted high, you'll get a stiff neck from watching. Nevertheless, my kids enjoyed this!
7. Breakfast - any hotel that packages breakfast in their accommodation is a winner to me. The line-up is ok, but nothing really stood out. I was hoping to see strawberries in the fresh fruit selection, but there is none. But must try is the strawberry yogurt. I super like it! Their tapa is too salty. No amount of vinegar can correct it.
My son is 7, so I had to pay P 325 for his breakfast (half of the adult rate) but he eats like a bird but I don't want to be hassled with getting food for him somewhere else. He decided he wants waffle. He had a piece (the size of a slice of gardenia bread), never finished it. The following morning, he wanted waffle again. Just waffle. I decided to just order a la carte for him. Waffle is P 150 per order vs the child rate of P 325. But then it took them awhile to make the waffle as the machine is acting up. After more than 30 minutes of patiently waiting (my son does not like anything but waffle, not pancake, not french toast, it has to be a waffle) while we were eating away, his waffle arrived. It's still one piece, but one of the wait staff said that its on the house since it took them a while to serve it. That's a nice gesture, right? It's not much, its the least that they can do for making a child wait for his food. We appreciated the effort and because of that, we feel good towards them.

Disliked about this hotel:
I specifically asked for a room with the pine/forest garden view, as it came highly recommended by Trip Advisor reviewers. I got it, on the 4F. No problem there. BUT, as soon as we opened the glass door, there's this terrible, terrible stench of horse manure. We looked down and saw that we were very close to the horse-back riding area beside the hotel. I would have asked to be transferred to the other side but the hotel is fully booked at that time. Also, I worry that if our room would be facing the street, and we don't close the glass doors to let the cool air come inside, we would be bothered by the busy street noise. In fairness, the stench comes and goes, but the dreadful part is, it comes. Our stay in Le Monet would have been perfect if not for that. That's my only complain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room farthest away from the horse-back riding area. The stench of horse manure is sooo UNR...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jrcl
There are newer reviews for Le Monet Hotel

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for six days back in January and I can say that their facilities are good.

They gave us a room at the attic level with a king-sized bed. The bed and the room were comfy and spacious. The view of the forest was beautiful, especially during the early mornings when you can see the sun's rays shining through the pine trees. Being a Baguio resident, I love pine trees. The balcony was kinda scary. I was examining it up close and the balcony floor was made of something which looks like wood but consists more of lightweight heavy duty fiberglass-like material. The frame of the balcony was attached to the building wall with tex screws, which upon closer inspection didn't really make me feel secure, what with being on the fifth floor and all. So what we did was we pulled the dining table and chairs on the balcony inside our hotel room and only admired the view from behind the balcony's sliding glass door. Their bathroom was nice too albeit kinda cramped. When I was placing my reservation online, the room information indicated that the Deluxe King that I was reserving would have a bath tub so I brought along some bath salts and bath additives to soak in. But when we got there, all it had was an overhead shower.

The first thing they need to improve on is parking space for their guests. If you want close proximity, you'd have to park at the filling station parking lot next door and you'd have to chance upon vacant parking space, competing with other people who are customers of the food joints there. If there's no vacant space, they let you proceed to the parking area across the street that's unpaved and unsecured (not to mention the place looks like a dump :/)

When you drive up to the hotel entrance, it would be much appreciated if the personnel at the hotel entrance would have the initiative to come over and ask if you have a reservation and then automatically help you unload your bags from the car, considering the fact that parking is a problem and the hotel entrance driveway isn't very wide. This would prevent causing traffic in case plenty of people are waiting to park and check in. It would also be nice if they could offer valet parking like they do at the Manor and also at Bloomfield to somewhat address the issue on parking space. Other than that, checking in wasn't too much of a hassle.

There was ongoing construction while we were staying there but the noise wasn't too bothersome I guess, since we were away for the most part during the day. Things would have already quieted down in the evenings.

Their breakfast buffet would have been good, except everything was cold! All the food was served on warming trays but they were cold :/ Bacon was hard, the fat and oil crusted over; even their coffee was cold lol. I sampled their gravlax with feta cheese which was really salty. I can't really remember the other stuff that I sampled at their breakfast buffet because for the entire duration of our stay, we only ate at their breakfast buffet on the first morning and we never went back after that. That should have clued them in that something might have been wrong. It was funny because maybe it did give them a hint. On the third or fourth morning of our stay, the front desk called our room, informing us of their "last call for breakfast" for that day. Perhaps they were wondering why we weren't eating breakfast at all.

Their restaurant needs a lot of work. We decided to try eating at the Malt Room but it was dark and lonely in there so we just sat ourselves at the Dinelli's. We ordered french onion soup and wagyu steaks, one 34 ounce (?) that I asked them to split between me and my sib which is what we always do when we dine out, and another order for my hunny. Our steak was ordered medium well while my boyfriend wanted his well done. When they served our food, the smell of the cheese in the french onion soup overpowered the beef broth. It was too pungent. When the steaks came, everything was too blue >_< (and I mean blue, not just rare red) We had to ask the waiter to take them back to be recooked. The steak that I requested to be split was served on only one plate and we had to dish it out ourselves. Normally when I order steaks at restaurants and we ask them to have our food split, they would be served entirely separate, each with its own side dish. The waiter served us "sauces for the steaks" and it was the first time for me to experience being given rock salt and a variety of other "sauces" for steak :/ It was basically six different dips all served together. One was rock salt, there was peanut sauce, I think,.. one was more appropriate for salad if I remember correctly, and the others, I couldn't identify. They should have just settled with gravy or even A1 steak sauce or worcestershire. Nothing fancy, but at least not weird. Suffice it to say, it was a bit of a rip-off spending more than $100 on steaks that weren't cooked and served right. My sib was spot on when he said that it was a waste of perfectly good meat.

I guess I can appreciate the fact that they only charged my credit card upon check out. Our stay for January was booked way back in November or earlier so I was able to avail of their early bird promo where the accommodations have a discount. Those kinds of promos are priced lower but they already have to be paid for upon booking with no cancellations or modifications, which is what most hotels practice. When I made my reservation, they did not charge me right away. I called twice to make sure that my reservation was confirmed because they weren't charging me anything yet, and I was expecting to pay for everything already upon booking.

In conclusion, le Monet is a good hotel in terms of facilities and service. The personnel at the entrance need more training, however. The front desk was helpful and the housekeeping was very good yea. We requested to have our room cleaned one afternoon after it wasn't made up because we forgot to remove the "Privacy" sign on the door. Housekeeping did a very good job of tidying up everything after we called it in.

Would I stay at this hotel again? Perhaps. Hopefully, they'll be able to work around the stuff they need to improve on.

Room Tip: Request for a room facing the forest and away from the filling station next door. The rooms in the a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank j_wye1213
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We decided to go on a weekend trip to Baguio and booked two days before we left Manila.

We drove to Baguio and arrived before 9am. Dropped by the cathedral and went to have breakfast. After breakfast, we called Le Monet to ask, if by any chance, we'll be allowed to check in early. Lady who answered the phone got my booking details and contact number, and said she'll call me back within five minutes. And she did call back, to tell me that room's ready and we can check in early.

Top things i liked:
- great location. Camp John Hay is a nice area to stay in Baguio, because it's far from the crowd at the city center. We had a scenic walk to/from Mile-Hi Centre after breakfast. There's also a picnic area right across the street. There's a small food court beside the hotel.
- huge/spacious room. We booked a deluxe king. The room was spacious, it could easily fit another king-size bed in there and we'd still have space to move around. Our room had a balcony overlooking the forest (back of hotel), lovely view.
- sumptous buffet breakfast. We enjoyed the breakfast spread. Aside from the usual Filipino breakfast fare (which are good), they also have an egg station, a salad spread and a lot more continental selection. I also loved the hot chocolate.

Things i liked least:
- parking. Upon arrival, we were told to park across the street. It was a rocky, unpaved semi-enclosed unsecured area. It was ok then because we only had a few things and weather was great. But i can imagine the hassle if it rains or if you have a lot of stuff, and you still have to cross the street. That evening, we found a parking slot at the food court right beside the hotel, and parked there instead. I wish they'd have better and more secured parking facility, or perhaps offer valet service to checked-in guests.
- toilet&bath. I felt it was cramped and small, definitely not in proportion with the size of the room. It was just enough for the basics - sink, toilet, shower. There's a small tv inside (which is a plus), but it's on a fixed position and since the area is small, you'd have to strain your neck a bit looking up to the tv. I wish they make it adjustable, or mount it lower. I also wish it had a tub - that would have been perfect. I liked the modern toilet, with various wash settings. And i liked the rainshower showerhead.

Checkout was hassle-free, and check out time was extended up to 2pm, upon request.

Overall, i'd stay here again, primarily for the location and the free buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank RezC_12
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I haven't been to Baguio for the longest time and had no regret in choosing le Monet hotel to stay. A lot of hotels to choose from but first encounter with the staff from booking to the last day was excellent. Staffs were all friendly and accommodating. You have made our stay there memorable for my sister from kuala lumpur to my mother and me from Virginia,USA. Always smiling faces and respectful gave your staff a big plus.breakfast was always good, room was nice, clean, big enough for us.place was excellent inside camp John hay,you can walk even late at night, restaurants 24 hrs open counts too. I bet a lot of people will find this place enjoyable.

Room Tip: Junior suite
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank magandaako
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We booked Le Monet Hotel after looking at Trip Advisor reviews of Baguio hotels. We stayed for 2 nights Jan 5 & 6, 2013 due to lack of time. We were not disappointed. We got a 3rd floor room facing the park, the room is spacious with 2 queen sized beds, The bathroom has an automatic flushing water closet which was good. The room and bathroom were clean. We requested for more towels & were given right away. Janrhem of Front Office handled our requests properly when I called her from overseas after our booking. Buffet breakfast was good, the spread had enough variety & they served the best jams ever. An F & B staff, Ruel, was very competent in answering my queries about the jams. Overall, the experience was pleasant and we definitely will come back. We're recommending this hotel to others as well. Its location is very good, restaurants & shops are in the vicinity.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ruizgen
LeMonetBaguio, General Manager at Le Monet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the city of Pines!

Thank you very much for choosing Le Monet Hotel in your recent visit to Baguio!

We are very happy to know that you had a pleasant stay with us, and that Janrhem and Ruel hosted you well.

The Le Monet Hotel Family looks forward to your next visit of Baguio City!

Good day and God Bless!

Dante C. Cruz
GM - Le Monet Hotel
dantecruz.artstream@gmail.com

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Truly a great hotel just as what I have read from the reviews, staffs were nice, accommodating and always smiling since we arrived the hotel and the time we’ve left. We stayed in Le Monet for 4 days 3 nights spending our Christmas there, from the moment we arrived we were surprised by the artificial snow falling from the top of the hotel, I can say it was really a nice gimmick unfortunately because of this the driveway entrance is somehow being blocked by people catching those artificial snows so we were having problems parking our car to unload our luggage’s and apparently the car parking was at the other side of the road and during those times the hotel was fully booked so parking is very scarce, I hope they can improve this.
Checking in and checking out was a breeze it only took us a few minutes to get our room keys and we were already being ushered to our rooms. I booked early for a Deluxe Twin and Junior Suite with a forest view and was given confirmation, unfortunately I was given a room facing the road and during that time there’s a lot of noise coming outside from the people and vehicles passing by, at first I was not happy since I particularly asked for the forest view and just worried that I will have trouble sleeping due to the outside noise.

The room we got was on the top floor and it was big, it has a separate bedroom, a dining table and a kitchen sink. The bedroom has 2 queen size beds but we only used one and they were soft and comfortable that I slept well through the night maybe it is because of the grueling trip that took us almost 8 hours from Manila to Baguio due to heavy traffic or the cool weather in Baguio made me sleep all my earlier worries away. The bathroom was big and we loved the automatic and heated toilet seat, hot water is not a problem. We have 3 TV in our room 1 in the bedroom 1 on the dining and a small 1 inside the bathroom, we didn’t have any problem with the WIFI connection in our room sometimes it was slow but mostly we can browse in the internet smoothly. The front desk was so helpful and quick to respond that even it was already late in the evening I called them for some medicine and quickly they send it to our room.

Freshened up after a very relaxing sleep we had our breakfast and what was said on the review was right the buffet was humungous, the foods served was already good enough for lunch too many varieties of food to choose on, tempted to over eat. The hotel has a nice location inside Camp John Hay, beside the hotel is the filling station where you can have pizza, Japanese meals, burgers and an ice cream parlor where you can have fresh strawberries together with your ice cream. At the other side of the road where the paintball republic and zip line is located, for children the horseback riding area is just near the filling station and walking further more towards the Loakan Gate more shops, spas and restaurants are located like Starbucks, Yellow Cab and a boodle restaurant are.

During that festive season the hotel was offering more there at the back they have this film showing and a bonfire activity for a small fee this includes a bonnet and scarf for you tow wear during the bonfire. They were also offering a Noche Buena buffet but unfortunately we were so tired that we weren’t able to go. And I was told by their good General Manager Mr. Dante Cruz that this coming Holy Week that they were brewing some funs and activities for the guest. Mr. Dante Cruz was so down to earth that even with his busy time running the hotel he still manages to talk to the guest and personally he himself gave us information to where we can find a specific gas station and fill up our car.

I and the whole family had a very good time during our stay at Le Monet and we are already planning to go back there for the coming Holy Week.

Room Tip: Always take the top room or the Attic level.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank adiolata

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the City of Pines!

It's such a delight for the Le Monet Hotel Family to know that you and your family "had a very good time" during your stay.

Thank you very much for your kind and generous words.

The Le Monet Family looks forward to your next visit - hopefully this coming Holy Week.

Best regards and God Bless!

Dante C. Cruz
GM - Le Monet Hotel
dantecruz.artstream@gmail.com

Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is quite new and clean. The location is ideal especially if you want to avoid the very busy areas of Baguio.

The room itself was spacious and comfy which is something we look for when staying in Baguio.

The only complaint i have for this place was the breakfast buffet. Food is only ok compared with the rest of the hotel. Service was a bit slow as well but i would attribute this to the number of guests at the time.

• Stayed: December 2012