“Best Japanese Restaurant in Baguio”
Review of Chaya

Chaya
Ranked #18 of 340 Restaurants in Baguio
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Manila, Philippines
“Best Japanese Restaurant in Baguio”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Great Japanese food in the middle of Baguio. Reserve beforehand to get good seats (preferably inside) as they keep pet cats and birds in the al fresco dining area. :)

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Peter_Tongco

• Korean first
Hue
“Mixed reviews - ordinary food, good service, nice ambiance”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Good service, nice ambiance but food is ordinary. The Japanese Hotpot is a little bit fishy, shrimp was not that fresh. The agadeshi tofu, which was an appetizer, was served second to the last. We got a complimentary green tea ice cream with red beans which tastes surprisingly good.

I think the reviews even in magazines are overrated, and I can compare the food to the not-so high-end japanese semi-fast food restaurants like Kitaro and Teriyaki Boy which I like too. I guess I had more expectations from Chaya that it's a little bit disappointing. Probably, one visit is good for the experience but if you're looking for a tasty, authentic, japanese dish, it's not really the best. :(

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Hope_RememberTrip
Manila
“Authentic Japanese”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

An old heritage house converted to a bed and breakfast restaurant. Ambiance was nice and food was good! Servers are very courteous n fast , owner mingles with customers and gave us a surprise drum and dance by a Japanese lady. A good surprise that made our dec 31 celebration quite special. Totally enjoyed the place and food!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank BetoAlice
Luzon, Philippines
“Cozy ambience, delicious food and efficient service”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The restaurant has limited dining and parking space, so be sure to arrive early. We opted for outdoor seating, which for us was a blessing because there were no other tables nearby. Perfect for a noisy and laughter filled get together. But since we were far from other diners, servers didnt pass by our table frequently. So best to order everything at once. Food is delicious, service is efficient. Will return.

• Visited December 2013
Navotas City
“Truly Japan”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

At first, I was not aware that this place is a restaurant until a doctor told me so after my 2 or 3 years of stay in Baguio City. The place really looked like a house, with just a small signage in shape of a green leaf saying chaya. Pricewise, it is one of those in the mid price range. I dined in with a doctor and my boss and we just spent less than Php 1500, within our budget. Food quality is good, but aside from japanese fast foods in the city, this is where you should get a real taste of Japan. In my frequent dining experiences in this restaurant (I have been staying in Baguio City for 5 years already), I'll state the goods and bads of the Place.

The Goods:

1. Dining area is clean and the staff are proper attire to handle food.
2. Meals are prepared just after ordering and served hot for dishes that are to be served hot.
3. The owner (a japanese lady) even asked the customers their dining experiences thus making them improve on their lapses.
4. Making reservations are just a phone call away and they will call you back I think 4 hours prior the intended dining.
5. The place also double as a Bed and Breakfast, according to them when I asked about the history of the place.

The Bads:

1. Parking is very limited, they can only accommodate a maximum of 6 or 7 cars then the rest needs to park along the road in which is near a curve.
2. The staff is not really prepared in making any food quotation in case you wanted to have an event in the area.
3. Very limited seating, probably less than 30 persons even if you include the sofa and coffee tables in the corner.
4. Restaurant closes kitchen at 7pm, though could extend to 8pm. With this schedule I really had a hard time inviting doctors to a round table discussion.
5. Prices of their Bed and Breakfast is not for the entry try. It is a little pricey and I would call the place a higher class version of a transient house, after seeing some of the rooms of course. I don't know anyone in the pharmaceutical industry that has stayed here even for a night.

Though this restaurant has the ups and downs, still this place welcomes its guest as with open arms. By the way, I think there are now 3 Japanese oriented restaurants in Baguio City, but among them, this is the one less noticeable but the most worthwhile to dine in. Whether were talking about price, hospitality or the food.

• Visited September 2013