“Very great hostel”
Review of Hostal Colonial

Hostal Colonial
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Trujillo
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The Hostal Colonial may seem a little expensive, but the place is really great. The rooms are very nice, clean, quite big (especially the bathroom is not just a tiny 1m2 cell), they have hot water and the rooms are cleaned every day.
The staff is nice and we can also recommend the thours they are offering. We went to the Huacas de la luna y sol and another tour took us to chan chan. The guides spoke well english and the tours where really great.
We can seriously recommend the place

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hostal Colonial

Reviewed July 29, 2011

After seeing some other hostels is Trujillo, I chose Colonoal because it was for the same price as others, but offered more value for money.
Location - very central, 2 blocks from the main square, relatively safe area
Room - quite big, with TV (though they tell it is cable, it is not - only Peruvian channels), good shower with white towels and soap. The noise from construction works started at 8.00am and I was not told about that in advance.
Common areas quite big, free Internet.
No kitchen, no breakfast included and breakfast offered at the restaurant is overpriced.
Tours - they sold me tour with an English guide, but on the day of the tour they suddenly requested to pay twice more since I was the only one in English. When I refused to pay more, they said my options is to go with the Spanish group and to receive a small discount for that, or to receive a refund (it was 1 hour before all the tours). They refused to give the same discount for an English guide. When I went finally with the Spanish group, the guide was professional but very rushed and forgot me at the last stop. So I had to find a way to get back to Trujillo on my own...

Room Tip: Get a room far from the street/bar/construction works
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank DaliaKK
Reviewed May 12, 2011

The building, an old mansion is charming and convenient located - only five minutes from "Plaza de Armas". We took the students offer (backpacker offer) and got a basic and big double room, unfortunately the private bathroom smelled very bad. Although promised at the check-inn, no hot water (they let us shower in a different room where hot water was available). Because of the noise (really loud) coming from the nearby club we couldn't sleep before 3am, the mattresses are very old and uncomfortable. WIFI worked well in the nice common areas, TV didn't work. The female front desk staff on our first day was unfriendly and didn't care at all, the next day the staff was friendly and helpful. I can't recommend this hostal, but the colonial building itselfe is great.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We had a room in the back garden with easy access to a pretty terrace. The hotel has caractere and is really well located. The bath room was basic but good shower which always ran hot water. The restaurants offers cheap delicious meals.
We also did our tours with the hotel travel desk and had good english speaking guides.
This is definitely a good mid range hotel and we strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Even though I asked for a private, clean and quite room with 24hr hot water. I couldnt sleep till later than 1:30-2:00am for noise coming from nearby bar, had to shower with cold water because of not water available, and there was ants everywhere".

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank PachamamaLondon
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I wouldn't recommend it unless you are OK with very very cheap accomodation...old and unwelcoming appearance.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I was on my way to another hostal recommended by a local travel agency when someone came out of Hostal Colonial and insisted that I check out his property first, with promises of special deals for backpackers. I told him where I was going, and he wanted to match the price. Having read before that Hostal Colonial was nicer and originally in a higher price category than the one I was going to, I figured why not. The room he showed me was pretty bare and in a different wing than the general guest area, but I happily took it. As long as it's clean and has hot water, I was thinking.
Later when I went to bed in that room, I realized that what I got wasn't really a deal. The room had become quite dusty (I think from the construction work that was going on outside), and there was no towel or soap. Some used bars of soap were still left in the bathroom. Then a few construction workers returned outside to work some more.

My own stay was unpleasant, but, to be fair, Hostal Colonial was conveniently located, had attractive common areas, and at least the one regular guestroom I saw looked tastefully decorated. Just don't let them talk you into staying there on some special bargain. You don't get Hostal Colonial's regular room or service, and what you do get is not on par with other establishments in your "bargain" price range. Forget about getting them to place an order and accept delivery for Cruz del Sur tickets.

The tour office next door offered pretty good programs with good prices and guides. While I'd recommend the service, the guy running the office can be very pushy. In fact, he was the person who grabbed me off the street to get me into Hostal Colonial. After selling me the room, he immediately started selling me his tours. Even after I ended up booking his tours instead of going with the agency I was initially working with, he approached again every time he saw me to sell more.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo