“Good Value, decent size room. hot water”

Residencial Munaywasi
Residencial Munaywasi
Ranked #4 of 90 Trujillo B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Nice family run hotel with breakfast provided. very secure and central to the Plaza de Armas. Good storage if leaving backpacks. gave us a log of advice of what to do in Trujillo. good place to meet other travellers for breakfast in common dining room.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main area where the owner lives, she doesn't the tv to be to loud in...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Double bed, large enough room, huge chest of drawers and closet, all empty. Cold! Had to ask for an extra blanket, as there is nothing but a bedspread over the sheet. Walls badly need painting. The room smells strongly – of room freshener, perhaps. TV is a relatively large Samsung – just fine cable reception. No WiFi reception in the room. Private bathroom is outside, in a breezy hallway. The shower volume and temperature were fine, though the shower itself is moldy. Shower and bathroom floor were both black. The owner was very helpful in arranging a tour at a reduced price. Breakfast includes juice, rolls, butter, jam, instant coffee. A horrifically loud club kicks into full swing with a live band at 11 p.m.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Laurie N
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Clean hostel with a really good ratio of rooms to bathrooms. We rarely had to wait to use the bathroom. The hostess was really nice and eager to help. There's a computer with basic Internet access to check your email as well as wi-fi throughout the hotel. Decently fast for a hostel in Peru. Breakfast wasn't very good, but for such a good price it wasn't bad.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed there a few days during our Trujillo-trip. The location is great and the owner and her lovely daughter were very nice and helpful. They gave us a log of advice on where to go. The owner let us leave our backpacks at the hostel later the same week even though we werent staying at the hostel anymore. Super nice! Felt like a real home.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I just stayed seven nights at Residencial Munay Wasi (right around the corner from my favorite Trujillo restaurant, El Sol Vegetarian) and I was thoroughly pleased with the facilities, service and ambience of Munay Wasi. When you step into Munay Wasi, you step into Carmela's home and she is one of the most hospitable an helpful of innkeepers I have met on this journey through Central and Latin America. My room (#3) was spacious, well lit and ventilated, a double bed and enormous amounts of space to store my belongings. There was an overhead florescent light and a small table lamp on a bedside table. Sliding windows provided ample ventilation and light. A quiet hostel (so if you are looking for a place to party or even to return to at 3:00 a.m. Munay Wasi is not the place). My private bathroom featured dual handle shower faucets so I could blend the hot and cold water for just the perfect shower temperature and the bathroom sink even had a hot water faucet, a real luxury down here.
Munay Wasi's location is ideal: on the edge of the historic district, so it is not noisy and you can expect a good night's sleep. (There was a band playing in a club nearby that fired up around 11:00 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and though I could hear the band outside of my room, I could not hear them in my room, especially with the mounted fan running.) Room #3 had a mounted television, good reception and heaps of cable channels. Munay Wasi has reliable high-speed WiFi, but it is most robust in the common areas; I could sometimes pull the WiFI into Room 3, but the connection was much better as soon as I stepped outside my room. Another hostel mate in another room commented the same. A continental breakfast is laid out on a table each morning from 8:00 - 11:00 a.m., but gets a boost into the elegance zone when Carmela makes her fresh 'apple-mango' juice each morning for breakfast. Carmela also is an excellent source of Trujillo info and when I checked in she handed me a map and a very handy fact sheet that saved me a heap of money on tours I did not need once I knew from Carmela's Fact Sheet where to catch the bus to Chan Chan and the Huacas Luna and Sol and Huanchaco Beach, all of which have convenient bus stops just 75 meters from Munay Wasi's front door. There are lots of restaurants and tiendas around here and Trujillo's gleaming new Super Market just opened two weeks ago only three blocks from Munay Wasi, a good thing since Munay Wasi features a great kitchen for guests to use. This was pure luck on my part but I just happened to choose one of the best hostels on my journey right here in Trujillo, the friendliest city in Peru. I plan to return to Munay Wasi in September. When you stay in Munay Wasi please give Chaska, Carmela's sweet puppy, a pat on the head for me.

Room Tip: #3, but please do not reserve it in September 2013 because I am returning to Munay Wasi and I defini...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank James S
María Carmela A, Propietario at Residencial Munaywasi, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2016

Thank you so much. We are very happy when the guest thinks like you. That is the reason of our efforts to service better day a day.
We wait you come back in the future.
Thanks.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This place is in a quiet part of town yet very close to the centre and feels very safe. The way the house is split is also very spacious and breezy and tranquil. I particularly loved breakfast. The owner prepares the breakfast table every morning but you can also make full use of the kitchen whenever you like so we were also cooking at night and making cups of coffee whenever we felt like it, other hostels restrict this. The owner is very busy but still she found time to spend with us and teach us more about Peru, she even made us pisco sour one night and it was the best little cocktail I ever had. The showers are also hot hot hot so don't wait, just book this place already! Oh and the internet is great. There's also a computer downstairs if you don't have a laptop with you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank esmeralda_attard
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My Mon and I stayed there last week for three nights. I made reservations online and also I spoke with the owner over the phone before we traveled from Lima to Trujillo. When we arrived on Thursday morning, the owner told us that she didn't like to host Peruvians, that she only host foreigners. I wish she would have said that before, to make reservations somewhere else, she definitely heard my Peruvian accent over the phone but she did not say anything until we were actually there at her door. She also mentioned something about job references in order to host us. Ridiculous! It was awkward, we felt discriminated. She explained that she had some bad experiences with locals in the past, which I understood, but again she could have mentioned so over the phone so we didn't have to go through this unpleasant moment.
Anyways, she asked a little bit about ourselves and it all changed when I told her I lived abroad and I was just visiting, then she was all nice and helpful. We stayed there because my Mon and I were already too exhausted from the long bus ride from Lima and we just wanted to take a nap to continue with our busy itinerary, otherwise we would have left immediately. On top of all that, this place was very noisy at night, there is a club nearby that plays live music every night, all night until early in the morning.
I would not stay in this place again and I would not recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family