“OK, but not great”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Travelling
“OK, but not great”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We picked Demarco's because it looked a little more elegant than some of the other restaurants in the pedestrian street. The previous evening there had been many people eating there. We also believed there was a two-course set menu, but when we asked this did not exist. We do speak some Spanish, but couldn't understand what the waiter said about the menu, maybe it was only a lunch-time offer. We chose pizza and cannelloni. Ok, so we're in Peru not Italy, but neither dish was particularly good. The cannelloni in particular was fairly tasteless. We did each have a glass of good house wine, which was the best thing about the visit. We don't think it was good value.

• Visited April 2012

Quito, Ecuador
“Excellent tomato cream”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I ate one of the best tomato creams of my life. My friend ate a traditional peruvian dish which was very good. The owner Gianni is a very nice man, we talked for 40 minutes about the gastronomy in Peru and the attractions of Trujillo. He gave us very good advice.

The waitters are very professional and the restaurant is cozy. Will go back again soon!

• Visited January 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Had the American breakfast one morning which I enjoyed. Everything was good including the scrambled egg and ham, the bread, the juice and the coffee. Service was speedy and polite. I also enjoyed the old fashioned Italian cafe feel of the place to.

• Visited December 2011
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Good food”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We found a few vegan items at this restaurant which was difficult to do in this town of mostly meat restaurants.

Visited October 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
“POOR Waiter”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We went into Demarco at about 9pm on a weeknight. It was way overcrowded, people we practically sitting on top of one another, but it was about the only option left open.

It seemed like an eternity before we were waited on, then we waited an equally long time to be served and then you guessed it, just as long to get the check and the change. To add to that, the food wasn't all that good, I can't even remember what I had. It appeared that other diners were going through the same experience as we had.

Our waiter was clearly in over his head to the point that I actually felt sorry for him, I think his intentions were good, but it was late and the kitchen clearly was inept and the poor guy was behind and unattentive mostly because the kitchen couldn't get the food out. It looked as though he had given up.

I'd love to give them another try on a less busy day to find out if the experience would be different. I figure that I'd be rolling the dice in that case, but I definitely would not go again if I saw any sort of a crowd there.

I'd give the place