“Paradise by the Lake”

Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Puno
State College, Pennsylvania
“Paradise by the Lake”
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We stayed at the Casa Andina - Private Collection in Puno as part of a group trip through Peru in October of 2009. The hotel and accomodations were gorgeous... easily the nicest place we stayed in the country, and was quite a luxurious way to end our trip. Our rooms had beautiful views looking out over the waters of Lake Titicaca, and we took day trips from here into the town of Puno and also out onto the lake (from the Hotel's private dock). The rooms were clean and comfortable, there's free internet access and computers available in the main lobby, and the staff were all quite courteous. The restaurant on-site is excellent, and we took the time to personally thank our chef after an incredible meal (the breakfast buffet was also quite good). I can't recommend this place strongly enough!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zaknafein

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Czech first
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed March 3, 2010

The Casa Andina Private Collection in Puno is a modern hostelry with the array of four-but-not-quite-five-star features we found consistent and adequate among the three hotels of this "Collection" we visited here, in Lima, and in Cuzco. It has its own private dock on the lake -- a great convenience to walk out of the dining room after breakfast and out to our excursion boat.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Norway
Reviewed February 22, 2010

A nice place, quiet and with a beautiful garden. We enjoyed all services and relaxed by the fireplace in the reception and bar.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in early February 2010. We were planning to spend my wife's birthday, so I had booked the suite and I must say it was very nice! The room was large with a couch, love seat and chair when you walk in. I noticed right away a wood burning stove with a stack of wood next to it! The bellman let us know that anytime we wanted a fire to just let him know and he would be happy to come in and start one up for us! There were large banks of windows and a balcony looking out over the Lake with a LOVELY view. The bedroom was set back and had another balcony off of it as well, but not quite as good of a view. Fine with me, when I am in bed I am not worried about the view! Due to the altitude there is also an oxygen enrichment machine in the room to help out and the bellman explained how to use this as well. The bed was very comfortable with a plethora of blankets and pillows. I slept very well in this bed! The bathroom was HUGE with a large jacuzzi tub and his and hers sinks! in short, we loved the room.

As was quickly becoming our experience the Casa Andina staff was very pleasant and were always willing to answer any questions or lend a hand with anything we needed. When we found we had left our toothbrushes and toothpaste behind one of the bellman ran out to a local store and picked up replacements for us. We had dinner one night in the restaurant and I was very pleased. the food was top notch! I would go eat there even if I could not stay in the hotel! The breakfast buffet was large and well stocked with fresh fruits, fruit juices, breads and omelettes made to order. Everything was fresh and delicious. There were two computers connected to the internet right by the front desk along with a printer that guests were free to use and wireless internet was available in the common areas and rooms as well. You do need to ask the front desk for a key to the room safe. It would be nice if they asked if you needed it when you checked in. I would absolutely recommend anyone going to Puno to stay in this hotel if they have room. It is very nicely located a few minutes from downtown by cab in the quiet splendor of Lake Titicaca. You can't go wrong with this choice!

**If you have read one of my other reviews of Casa Andina Hotels feel free to skip the next paragraph as I am putting this in each one of them.**
I had booked the hotels for a visit to Peru with my wife in advance via the web with some input from their online chat sessions. We had a nice trip planned starting in Cuzco and then on to Puno, Arequipa and Colca Canyon. We planned to stay in the Casa Andina hotels all along the way. I saw the news articles a few days before we left about tourists in Machu Picchu being airlifted out and contacted Casa Andina to find out the situation in Cuzco. I spoke online with Gisella and she told me that I should likely change my Cuzco reservations and worked with me to re-arrange my hotel plans as I worked on the travel arrangements. Gisella (and every other person I spoke with online at Casa Andina including Carolina and Sofia) were extremely pleasant to deal with and were genuinely interested in helping us to have the best time we could while we were in Peru. I cannot say enough about the flexibility they offered. During the trip when we were fighting Soroche (Altitude Sickness) and had to cut our stay short in Puno Gisella once again did everything she could to assist us in making last minute changes and taking care of the customer. OK, now on to the review!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daweb
Paris
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Quiet location a short taxi ride from center of town.
Excellent breakfast and very tasty bar snacks in front of log fire -atmosphere top!
(did not sample the restaurant)

Staff extremely attentive, bed exceptionally comfortable.

Casa-Andina management very helpful when we had major problems with our tour operator.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We had a lovely stay here with a room looking out over the Lake. Excellent service - especially recommend Daniel in the dining room - but all staff were great and willing to help with the smallest of things.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maryjaneEngland
South Africa
Reviewed January 31, 2010

The location of this hotel, right on the banks of the gently powerful Lake Titikaka, and away from noise and business is great.
The accommodation is quietly luxurious.
The restaurant offers supreme cuisine, local and international - with a beautiful view and superb service.
One of the highlights of my 3 week magical mystical journey was watching a loud thunderstorm from my balcony. Running down to feel the change in air, to witness a gigantic double rainbow appearing and disappearing as the sun set over the mountains, reflected in the bay.
I escaped the chill of the mountain air into the lounge. Sat warming, melting at the fireplace as I sipped a frozen Pisco Sours.
The long jetty from the hotel onto the Lake leads to a perfect place for quiet reflection of gratitude, integration, intention, prayer . . ..
The ducks sliding gracefully, chatting noisily, the sheep grazing peacefully, colors of Peru passing by dressed in their bright colors . . .
I also found the shopping from a local lady in the hotel selling handmade crafts so enjoyable. There was a good variety of local produce of good quality and well priced.
The service was superb, from the first phone call to the final wave good-bye!!!
I will be back!
Thank you for the perfect place to spend my last two days in Peru, integrating the magic that had touched and moved me beyond words!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo