Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

from $50.00
More Info
from $74.90
More Info
All reviews fertility temple the main square church trucha soles alpacas lake
Reviewed June 25, 2017

The temple of fertility is very interesting and once beautiful is about 30 minutes you can go on your own because there are minibuses in the terminal of chucuito and the price is 1.50 soles, I have stayed half a day.

Reviewed June 6, 2017

I visited Chucuito on a Monday. At the fertility temple my only company was two grazing alpacas and the phallic-like rocks protruding from the earth. My guide walked around with me in the small space. Not very exciting. I DID enjoy the scenic overlook near the center of town (la mirada Chucuito) where a loudly braying donkey joined me while I took photos. My tour guide suggested the poor beastie might not have been fed, so I gave him the fruit in my purse and the water from my canteen and he grunted in satisfaction the rest of my (short) stay. There are a few very basic shops in the main square and outdoor food vendors for those who are adventurous enough to eat street food. If you are in Puno for an extended period of time and are looking for a nice half day outing (in dry weather), by all means stop by. In my view -- considering all the other options of things to do in Puno -- Chucuito otherwise would not merit mention.

1  Thank Zorine R
Reviewed May 8, 2017

Visiting Chucuito requires hiring a taxi as it's not part of a tour operator. The archaeological value is questionable.

Reviewed April 28, 2017 via mobile

We took a taxi for 70 soles (booked through our hotel and I am sure you could get it cheaper) it is about 30 mins scenic drive south along the lake. The church in the main square was closed but we walked down to the left to a white arched communal area with fabulous lake views and photo opportunities.
We then asked our driver to take us to the ruins of the Temple of Fertility as it was quite hard to find, back down towards the lake. This temple was quite different with its phalluses both entire and beheaded. It was only 5 soles entrance.

We were lucky to see a funeral procession enter the lower church with accordions guitars and singing.

We could have had lunch back in the square but weren't hungry so headed back to Puno. A gentle experience.

We could have got a taxi one way and then a bus back which costs 2 soles.

Reviewed March 31, 2017 via mobile

Visited the temple of fertilization, but the memories will be from the small city. Very authentic and it felt like time stopped. Surreal, and amazing.

1  Thank Hakan B