“Service was so slow”

Cuisines: Peruvian, Cafe
New York City, New York
“Service was so slow”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We were the only group for dinner. Service was so slow. I think it's a general trend with Peruvian restaurants. Everywhere we went, service was slow. But this place was epic. From the time we sat to the time we got our first plate, an hour had passed.

We were seated upstairs and somehow, the smoke from the oven located on the ground floor kept wafting upstairs. We had to keep the window open to clear the air even though we were freezing.

The limonada mint (s3) was a disappointment, looked like made from a syrup. It wasn't good.

I ried the sopa de la criolla (s10). The soup was lukewarm by the time I got it. The noodles were soggy and the meat chunks tough. I was so hungry I didn't care.

They had no more kingfish so my mom had the grilled trout (s22) and she said it was very fresh. My sister had the pasta bolognesa (s16), it was passable.

• Visited June 2014

Anchorage, Alaska
“Misleading menu and credit card info; dumpy interior”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

1) The door lists about 6 different credit cards accepted, but when we were there yesterday, they accepted only ONE (Visa). So ASK FIRST.

2) The place is unattractively dark, almost depressing. The first floor has three tables right next to a large pizza oven which was stone cold at our visit - good thing. I can't imagine how anyone could sit right in front of the open fire pit if it were actually fired up. The upstairs has an opaque window that lets in light but there is no view or decoration.

3) The menu looks extensive and interesting, but we were just there for a late afternoon break from the rain. When I didn't find any wine (other than vino caliente) on the menu and asked the waitress, she looked confused and clueless. An older woman sitting nearby referred her to the two bottles in the bar. Both bottles of red were open, with little left. I asked to sniff them. One had turned. I would have left at this point, but my husband had ascertained that the restaurant had free WiFi and had already opened his computer and ordered a beer. So I asked for a glass of the other red wine, which was OK. For an appetizer I ordered an intriguing sounding bruchetta with fig jam and a red wine sauce (about 10 soles). The presentation was attractive but the bread had been microwaved to heat it, ruining the texture. We paid 34 soles for a wine, beer, and bruchetta.

4) When we arrived, admittedly, at an off hour, the lights were off downstairs while a party was going on upstairs. The older woman had to tell the waitress to turn the lights on!

Conclusion: There may be reasons for a restaurant to have an off day, but everything was off here - a dimwitted waitress, old wine, microwaved bread, and a permanently unattractive interior. We visited only because the woman at a nearby botica recommended it as having WiFi, and it was starting to rain really hard.

I don't think I have ever given a restaurant 1 star before. This one deserves it.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank LK E
Montreal, Canada
“Not worth it”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were tempted by the restaurant by the menu and the young man outside. It was a disappointment. The service was slow, the portions small (like a failed attempt at nouvelle cusine) The desert was... not good. Ate dinner beside the waitress who spent the entire time on Facebook at an oddly place computer. All ended with the theatrics of not having you're full change thus pocketing an undeserved tip. I don't easily give bad reviews, but with this place I was compelled.

• Visited November 2013
Paris, France
“Great value, great place”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The restaurant is just out of the main street, Calle Lima. We were pulled in the restaurant by someone on Calle Lima. Usually I don't like that, but it turned out to be a great place for dinner.
They had a great value menu with starter, main, dessert and one hot drink for S/19. Food was well-presented, good, and they had vegetarian options. The wood-fired pizza oven in the dining area adds up to the athmosphere.

• Visited September 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great food, good service.”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was great. We tried cuy (guinnea pig) for the first time and it was very good. The alpaca kebobs and alpaca in red wine sauce were fabulous. Pisco sours were generous and delicious. Would definitely eat here again.

• Visited June 2013