“Possibly One of the Best Day Tours I've Ever Been On”
Review of Edgar Adventures

Edgar Adventures
Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you're looking for a great cultural tour of Lake Titicaca, Edgar Adventures is it. Sure, there are cheaper tours, but when you've traveled this far, you really don't want to cheat yourself on the experience.

I specifically chose their "cultural tour" of Lake Titicaca, because it promised not only to take us to the less touristy side of Taquile, but also included a pachamanca lunch. Additionally, the tour is set up so that you visit the Uros Floating Islands on the way back to port, after the other tourists have left. We didn't see one other tour group after leaving port, can you believe it?

Our guide, Henry, was possible the most knowledgeable guide I've ever had, You could tell he took real pride in sharing the history and culture of Peru with visitor, and in being from Puno. Lunch was great, and the children of the floating islands were my daughter's favorite part of the day. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Jessica L

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a fabulous day trip on Lake Titicaca. We'd been told by friends to prepare for some heavily touristed spots on the lake but this tour somehow bypassed that so our group was alone pretty much the whole time, which was a bonus. The trip itself was fantastic and the guide Henry was a proud and knowledgable local who taught us a lot about this region. A fantastic day out. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I heard of the floating reed islands years ago and always wanted to visit, it was one of the reasons I travelled to Peru, and I was not disappointed. Edgar Adventures organised this for me including staying on the floating island for the night which was incredible, I wouldnt want to live here, what a damp life! Anyway they also organised my tour to other islands, Amantini and Taquilli, with a large group which the guide (Henry? I cant believe I cant remember his name for sure) managed perfectly. He gave us so uch fascinating information about everything from fishing to textiles. Lake titicaca I think is a place which really needs a guided tour, otherwise you dont really know what youre looking at, and I would most definitely recommend Edgar Adventures to everyone, their service was flawless.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We did the Titicaca Express. Yes, it was more expensive, but so worth it, especially for the very special Pachamanca lunch -- cooked underground with coals, and complete with a Pachamanca ceremony (coca leaves, prayers, and wine for the Pachamanca god). Most tour companies go to Taquille by the main dock, you hike up tons of stairs, have lunch in the village and hike down. This tour goes to the back of the island, where we saw no other tourists, and we walked on island trails with breathtaking views and finally to a lovely sand beach. They also leave a little later than the other tours, which is appreciated.
People have described the tour well enough below -- it was all fascinating and beautiful, and it all went very smoothly. Our guide, Guido, was excellent. His English was impeccable, and he was very knowledgable and lively.
One thing to note -- it is COLD in Puno and really cold on the lake. However, the boat is all enclosed, so it is not cold on the boat ride. Take layers, because by mid-morning, it will be very pleasant, and by mid-afternoon, I was in short sleeves.

One more thing about Edgar Adventures -- we made the reservation via email, and we went ahead and used them also to book our IncaExpress and 4M bus rides (highly recommended). We didn't have to pay them until we arrived in Puno after taking our bus trip from Cuzco. This was very helpful and was good to have one company take care of these various bookings (for no extra fee). One black mark though -- they almost forgot us on our 4M trip to Chivay -- the time of the hotel pickup came and went and no pickup. Luckily though, our hotel manager was able to reach someone, and they actually sent the tour guide for us -- so we knew we were not being left behind!

2  Thank DougCapHill
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I hate guided tours and so far managed to avoid them during my 25 years or so of multiple trips. However, having only one day for Titicaca lake and arriving previous evening, no other options were available - and lucky so ! Edgar Adventures tour might be more expensive (usd 65 instead of usd 30 elsewhere) but rightly so: you leave Puno a 7:30 (instead of 6:45 for other tours) and return by 4:30 (instead of 5:00-5:30p for others) but there is a reasons - Titicaca Express boat they use is just so much faster than others that in spite of later departure/earlier return you get more of the time spent out - as an example, Puno-Taquile Island (1st stop) route takes one instead of three hours, providing for more time on the ground rather than in transfers !!!
We had a great day on the lake, visiting Taquile Island, peninsula and then floating islands - amazing trip, great lunch, very good guide: all that made for an exceptional day on the water and then slightly changed my take on guided tours !