“Good location and hassle free”
Review of Hotel Presidente

Hotel Presidente
Ranked #43 of 64 Hotels in Puno
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Trudged around Puno looking for somewhere to stay at a decent price, was either cheap and nasty or way overpriced before we tried Hotel Presidente , price was 40 soles, the room was clean if not drab but with hot water WiFi and staff not hassling you for tours. The stay was pleasant and wouldn't expect anymore for the price, highly recommended

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Kobai

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Presidente on our way to an overnight stay at Amantani Island. The location was central and had extremely hot water. The room was very basic but it was close to everything. They also had a very secure garage which was perfect for us since we needed a place to leave our car.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ewethey
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is a large hotel that has a lot of tour groups. That isn't a problem, it's just not special. We had two rooms, my husband and son got a river view room, and loved it. My daughter and I had an interior room and it was fine. There was a wierd noise that occured whenever the hot water was on- like a constant buzz. Since we hiked Macchu Picchu that day, I had no problem going to sleep. (I also always travel with ear plugs.) We had good water pressue, the rooms were clean and the breakfast was plentiful. There is not much to do in this town, it's really here for folks visiting MP.
I only gave it 3 stars because it was really nothing special, but a good place to stay - no problems.

Room Tip: try to get a river view room - but keep in mind, the river is loud!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank KGN86
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed one night in Puno and wanted a cheap place. You certaintly get a lot for the 50 soles we paid for the twin room. It's not fancy, but clean.

We had lots of problems with our bus tickets, since we don't know spanish this was extra troublesome. The staff did a lot to help, they made several calls on our behalf and went out their way to help us.

Breakfast was a pleasant surprise, a plus.

Location is central, lots of restos two blocks away.

We recommend the President!

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank MariaScandinavia
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed for just one night when I got back from Arequipa, before leaving Peru and entering Bolivia. Before going to Arequipa I've stayed for a week in another hotel at the corner between Jr Puno/Jr Moquegua (sorry I can't remember its name and it's not on T.A. but I strongly suggest you NOT to go there), which was better looking and had more personality, but they tried every possible way to extort money from me (inventing extras, creating problems, changing my room as there were Candelaria celebrations all around).

Presidente was a suggestion from a taxi driver as soon as I got off the bus and as I already knew the city and I was tired and the room wasn't expensive I accepted it with no hesitation. I wasn't disappointed: the room totally lacked personality but it was clean and big with an ensuite bathroom, window was facing an ugly backyard but who cared, and with breakfast included. Location was good, being just a few blocks away from main square. All in all it was good and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Simo V
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Puno is a must stop city... but only because it is the launching point to Lake Titicaca and the Uros Islands / Amatani Island. Puno itself is forgetable but there is nothing wrong with it. We ended up staying two nights here - one before and one after our Lake Titicaca tour.

If you too, find yourself needing to stay in Puno, then we recommend Presidente Inn (also called Hotel Presidente). It was nothing flash, but it was just fine.

We had a private matrimonial (double) en-suite room. The bathrooms were small but clean. There was only hot water in the mornings and at nights - if you want to shower when there is none, ask them to turn it on then wait half an hour. Our room had cable TV plus free wifi. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable enough. Rooms on the back side are slightly quieter than on the street -- but we had no problem sleeping in either location.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They only spoke Spanish, but we were able to get by with our limited vocabulary. They also gave us a little map and showed us were a few budget restaurants were.

The hotel was dated and the walls a tad bit thin, but again it was not a problem for us. Do not expect five star elegance but do expect value for money.

Presidente Inn is close to Puno's walking street and the only place you will want to go. The walking street has travel agencies, ATMs, restaurants and two nice plazas.

The Hotel is far enough from the bus station that you will want to take a cab. Ignore the bus station touts that will claim this hotel has closed down - leave the station and look for the auto rickshaws. The ride to the Presidente Inn cost us just over one US dollar.

We saw this hotel listed on TripAdvisor in December 2009 (when we stayed here) so we just turned up and got a room at a great price. Our room cost 35 Soles which is 12 US$. Very good value. We left our luggage here when we did the Amatani Island tour and our bags were kept safe.

Presidente Inn
Jr Tacna No 248
Puno, Peru
Phone - 051-365573
Email - Presidenteinn@hotmail.com

Room Tip: Turn up and look at a couple rooms
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Not sure at first (initial problem was they lost our reservation), but once I saw the room it was fine. Had twin room with ensuite just across from the little cafe. Great bathroom, constant hot water. Staff very obliging, even brought us in a heater in case we were cold. Location was great, easy walk to the places we wanted. Manager got up at 1/4 to 6 on the morning we left and took us to the bus station, free of charge. Breakfast was fine. Great value for money

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends