“Lake Titicaca With Llama Expeditions”
Review of Lake Titicaca

and up
Lake Titicaca Day Tour
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Puno
More attraction details
Owner description: This is the world's largest navigable lake to large vessels, which lies more than 12,500 feet above sea level and covers 3,200 square miles in the Andes Mountains between the border of Peru to the west and Bolivia to the east.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I travelled alone as a female student to Lake Titicaca in August 2013. My trip was planned through Llama Expeditions, and I have to admit that I would not have enjoyed Puno nearly as much if I had not chosen to travel through this tour agency. Before I even arrived in Peru, Diane at Llama Expeditions diligently answered my (probably near 100) email questions about the trip. I have travelled in Peru extensively, and it was quite apparent that Llama Expeditions managed to combine the best highlights of the area- from train to 5-star hotels to off-the-beaten-path amazing eateries and beautiful hikes, into one pleasantly packed trip. The first day consisted of the Cusco to Puno PeruRail train (a 5-star review in itself) and transport to the beautiful Casa Andina Private right on Lake Titicaca. The next morning, we (meaning myself and other single or small group travelers who were 'pooled' together from different tour agencies) travelled by boat to the floating Uros Islands where we stayed for a few hours, and continued on to Amantani Island for a home stay. I was very surprised by the delicious meals served by my homestay family! The third day, we visited Taquille island and had a delicious lunch at the top of the island (arrived via hike) at which we learned about the local knitting traditions. Back at Casa Andina Private that afternoon, I had a chance to regroup before visiting Lake Umayo and the Sillustani Burial Site on the last day- a pleasant surprisingly, the best part of the trip! Myself, one local row boat operator, and my tour guide were the only ones on Lake Umayo, and the tour guide said that he hadn't given the tour in 5 years! We saw a vicuna reserve where only one family lives among the wildlife, and after climbed to the Sillustani Burial Site- since we arrived before noon, we were again the only ones there. Before being dropped off in Puno, we had lunch at a nearby family farm that had been converted to a restaurant- need I say it was a private lunch, and amazingly delicious. All around, a f

Date of experience: August 2013
3  Thank Shayla M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,083)
All reviews
in 8 reviews
"trout"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Islands are both unique and spectacular. Its sad though that since we were last there almost 8 years ago, it has become such a tourist trap. Its pretty crowded.The price for the boat tour is still fairly reasonable, but after that the prices charged for the crafts are exorbitant. Many items of which are not even from the area, and can be found all over Peru for a fraction of the cost, they even want to charge for portable bathrooms, on one island. I imagine if you have nothing to compare it too, its still a wonderful experience just to be on the highest lake in the world and meet the people that live on these floating Islands. Don't be put off, just be prepared to feel like a tourist!

Date of experience: August 2013
4  Thank Deirdre R
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The sunset at the Temple of the Sun is amazing. I would say it's even more beautiful than the salt lake in Bolivia. I had a lunch facing towards lake titicaca and I'll remember it a lifetime.

Date of experience: June 2013
1  Thank Jordan S
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Lake Titicaca on its own deserves five stars, but the tour we joined deserves two. You should certainly do a tour to the floating islands and Taquile, but be a bit more careful about it than we were. We had a fairly out of date tour book that said we could easily go down to the dock at Puno and just jump on any local boat before the afternoon and pay a cheap fee to get to one of the islands. On our first day in Puno, we slept in and arrived at the dock around 10am to try and do just that, only to learn that the boats get started around 7am and wouldn't take tourists after that (or at least the boats we tried to board told us this).

We did what we normally don't and wandered into the first tourist booth on the dock to buy a tour for the next day. I haven't been able to find the tour company on here, but I believe they were called "Real Tours" (that probably should've been a tip off). For only S./35 each we got tickets the next day to leave at 7:30 am and see both Uros and Taquile and return to Puno around sunset.

Honestly, the tour itself was not sketchy, or a scam, or anything like that, but it was not helpful or accommodating for anyone who was not fluent in Spanish. I spoke enough Spanish to get us on the tour, understand the times and schedule, and make it through the first stop on Uros (which was fascinating, though the talk on the island about building them was also all in Spanish and hard for me to catch the finer details). But when it came to Taquile, we ran into some major problems.

First of all the dock where you arrive on Taquile is different from the one you have to go to in order to leave Taquile. Our tour was set up to easily allow you to spend the night in Taquile if you wanted, and for the independent traveler this might've been great, but we absolutely could not do that. Before arriving at the first port, our guide went around and gave us each a rudimentary map of Taquile that had our arrival port and exit port drawn on, and told us in Spanish to find the exit port to Puno by 2:20pm. From what I understood of his Spanish, all the boats going to Puno exit from that dock. That sounded simple enough, except when you get to the main square on the island there were no signs to help us find our port, all the locals answered questions about how to find it in fast, indecipherable Spanish, and our guide was nowhere to be found to help us find our way.

By around 1:40 we found some other tourists in the main square whose guide was with the group (a novel idea) and we assumed that if we followed them we would be able to find the dock and the boat we needed. Boy, were we wrong. After a half hour long trek down the side of the island we arrived at a port that, according to the map we were given, looked to be correct, only to find out that each tour company had its own port and we were at the wrong one. We were, apparently, at a port that was not marked on the map we were given and would have to walk all the way back to the main square to reach the correct dock. By this time it was already past 2:20 and there was no way we'd make it in time, so we had to beg the captain of the last boat about to leave the port to let us stowaway. Thankfully he allowed us to come on, or we would've had to spend the night in Taquile, and completely thrown off the rest of our vacation plans.

So I can't speak highly at all of Real Tours, but I can praise Kollasuyo Tours, which was the tour company boat that took us out of Taquile. Their guide seemed very friendly and helpful, stayed with the group, gave great information (we overheard some of his talk when we arrived), and was fluent in English. They could've easily demanded that we pay them to take us to Puno, but they didn't (we of course gave the captain a huge tip anyway as a thank you upon reaching the port). The boat also stopped off at the resort town before Puno for all travelers staying there to disembark without having to travel from the Puno dock. Overall they seemed to have their stuff together, and I wish we'd done our research ahead of time and joined them from the start.

Date of experience: July 2013