“Beautiful location, even though a little isolated”

Libertador Lake Titicaca
Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Puno
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Compared to the city of Puno, the Libertador looks like something out of the future: all white and looking somewhat like a cruise ship run aground. The hotel is located on an island connected to the mainland by a road and an attended gate. The lobby area is very open with a wall of windows looking over Lake Titicaca. Guest rooms are located on 4 levels and most appear to have lake views. The rooms are comfortable and modern. Air conditioning is not really necessary at this altitude; you just open a window. A breakfast buffet was included in the price of our room. Dinner is served in the restaurant off the lobby. The menu is expensive but the food is well-prepared. We opted to have lunch in the bar area and ordered burgers. Peruvians season their beef with spices that are not familiar to most Americans. You either like the burgers or you don't. I was OK with it; my husband was not.

Unlike Cusco, downtown Puno is not really within walking distance and the hotel staff recommended against it. From what we could see from our tour van, picking up and dropping off at the various hotels, I'm not sure I would want to stroll downtown Puno. I also read on another travel website that hiking the hills above Puno was not recommended for tourists because of armed robberies (!)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank z3mom
Daniel M, Gerente at Libertador Lake Titicaca, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Guest, we appreciate your feedback of our hotel and that helps us to improve.

Hotel Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,383)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

There aren't many choices for quality accommodations in Puno, so I read the reviews here on TripAdvisor and chose the Libertador (even though I have a tough time pronouncing it). Our room was modest but nicely equipped: comfortable bed, good shower, marble bathroom. Climate control was an issue - it was too hot in the room - but at 3,800 meters, it was solved by simply opening the windows. And, the view from our room was simply amazing. We paid extra to look over the lake and could clearly see the Uros floating islands among other things.

Dinner at the hotel restaurant was tasty enough, but the meat (both the alpaca steak and the lamb chops) were quite undercooked. We normally like rare-ish meat, but the insides were absolutely raw. Wine list is good, but quite pricey by Peru-standards. Service was friendly and punctual. Overall a good experience. We went to the bar after dinner and though service was a bit slow, the cocktails were fine. The pool table isn't at all level, has pockets much narrower than an American table, and cues... let's not even go there. But it was still fun!

Breakfast was included in our room rate and held in the same restaurant as we had dinner. We were pretty bleary-eyed after a sleepless night due to the altitude, but I recall that the buffet was decent enough.

We came close to staying at the Casa Andina Private Collection Puno since we would spend the following night at their Isla Suasi property. But after reading reviews here on TripAdvisor, I opted for Libertador. And after hearing other guests at Isla Suasi talk about their experiences at the CAPC Puno property, I'm very glad we didn't stay there as service was apparently very lacking - and our experience at their "crown jewel" only reinforced that.

In general, I would not recommend that people spend *any* nights in Puno (it's really not a very nice or interesting place). But for those who must overnight there, Libertador is a sound choice and offers good value for the money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank JohnAndTasha
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Nothing beats waking up in the morning contemplating the magnificent Titikaka Lake.
definitely the place to stay if visiting this gorgeous region of Peru.
The location is somewhat far from the center of town, but the hotel seats on one of the island of the Lake.
The food is first class and the staff is very helpful.
i enjoyed the drinks menu very much!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Eduarpsu
Daniel M, Gerente at Libertador Lake Titicaca, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

We appreciate your comments

Molero Daniel Pino
General Manager - Libertador Lake Titicaca

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Last week I really enjoyed staying at this great hotel. My experience as a travel agent in the southern region of Peru gives me a clear view of the hotels in the Lake Titicaca region.

Although the facilities and decor are classic style and the rooms only have enough space, everything is offset by the magnificent views of Lake Titicaca that can be enjoyed from anywhere. I recommend you see one of the world's most beautiful sunrises from inside your room, truly a luxury. The social areas are spacious, the restaurant has spectacular views over the bay of Puno and you can see the famous floating Uros islands in the distance on the horizon. It just has a romantic aura.

There are other hotels on the banks of the lake, as the Posada del Inca, Casa Andina. But surely the Libertador Hotel has the best location to enjoy Lake Titicaca, which in the end is the purpose of visiting Puno.

It is located on a private island connected to the mainland by a single road. You can do a short hike and explore the island walking by the shores of the lake and observe many species of wild birds amongst the banks totora reeds. Only few meters away from the hotel you will be disconnected from the world and enjoy beautiful views of Lake Titicaca.

The front desk staff was extremely courteous and efficient. Especially the general manager who personally welcomed us.

Hotel Libertador - Puno Thanks

Room Tip: Rooms at the south boast the perfect views
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Edgar A

Dear guest.

We appreciate your opinion and preference for libertador.

Daniel Molero Pino
General Manager - Libertador Lake Titicaca

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Lying on and island and connected by a causeway, the hotel is just outside Puno and rooms either offer a view to the north-west of Puno itself, or to the south-east across Lake Titikaka. While the rooms are smallish, they are comfortable and the hotel facilities are very good. There is a jetty on the island to enable guests to be collected for trips on the lake. The island is a nature reserve and there is an easy walk around the island below the hotel to enjoy the wildlife.

Room Tip: It's a choice of views - see review.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gratco
Daniel M, Manager at Libertador Lake Titicaca, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

We welcome your comments, hopefully in the near future.

attentively

Hotel Manager

Reviewed December 8, 2012

It is a beautiful hotel on the lake. Food is excellent and the end suite is big with separate living room. They also provide you with 10 mins free oxygen in the hotel lobby. I would rank the hotel excellent if their staff did not rip me off and manager did not respond to me.

Even the hotel said resort and spa but they actually do not have a "spa". Yes, they have a small pool and a sauna but no massage room, nor a spa menu. When I requested for a massage, front desk said they would have to call someone in from town and it costed US$50.00 for 50 mins. To my surprise, the massage lady who came to my room was the front desk clerk. After the massage, I paid her US$50.00 plus $5.00 tips in cash.

When I checked out of the hotel, hotel charged me another US$50.00. Manager was not there and never responded to my phone call or letter. I had to pay for my massage again, otherwise I would miss my train to cusco.

What a shame that hotel did not respond to me at all !!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank melaniemywong

Dear Guest regret what happened we are sure that there was a misunderstanding, shortly we will contact you.

cordially

Hotel Manager

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Overall, it was a good experience. Pick a room with lake view, because it's worth it. You see the lake, the mountains and even the Uros floating islands right from your bedroom.

The hotel is definitely not 5 star, but then again the price reflects this, and it is still the best in Puno.

Rooms are cramped and more than a bit tired. Walls and doors are paper thin, you can hear everything. In fact, because they have a very open atrium design, if somebody talks loudly in the bar or lobby you can hear them from your room. Staff tries to be nice, but English is not their forte unfortunately.

The hotel is in a privileged position right on the lake, on a private island (well, artificial peninsula now, since they built the road). It is quite far from Puno's centre, but you're not missing much - I actually think it's a plus in this case not to be in town. And if you really want to go into Puno, it's 10 minutes by cab and 10 soles. The main square and Jr Lima are ok, the rest is really nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank eskew
Daniel M, Gerente at Libertador Lake Titicaca, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear guest.
Thank you for telling his experience in Libertador, we are pleased to have served.

Sincerely.