“Good value though skip the breakfast”
Review of Gran Puno Inn

Gran Puno Inn
Gran Puno Inn
Ranked #54 of 65 Hotels in Puno
Brussels, Belgium
“Good value though skip the breakfast”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We found ourselves in Puno overnight after missing our connecting bus to Copacabana. We got a room here for 50 soles, private bath with hot water, cable tv, wifi and breakfast. Our room on the top floor was quite cold though we asked for extra blankets. The check in girl was friendly and helpful.
Breakfast the next morning wasn't great, yuck...margarine. Maybe exclude breakfast for a better rate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We arrived in Puno via bus from Arequipa, after a beautiful ride through the Peruvian highlands. The descent into Puno, on the shores of Lake Titicaca, was welcome and surprising. None of us were expecting so large a city. At the bus station we collected our checked baggage and schlepped them into the terminal. I let my wife and daughters rest in the rarefied air of 3,827 meters (over12, 600 feet!) while I looked for information on places to stay. A persistent man named Nestor convinced me to let him take us to the Gran Puno Inn. He helped us get our luggage to his "friend's" mini-van taxi and within 5 minutes were at the hotel. It looked nicer from the outside than I was expecting and it had many credit card decals on the window saying they were accepted there.
Inside, we were met by a gracious middle-aged woman, who gave me a key to room 208. It was a nice room, on the second floor, at the end of the balcony. The room was quiet, most light bulbs worked (this is Latin America, so budget travelers have to accept some deficiencies). The bathroom and shower were clean, as were the beds. The room was just warm enough, as this city is a little higher than Mount Adams, the second highest peak in Washington State, where we're from.
Nestor tried to convince us to book an excursion onto Lake Titicaca through him. The owners of the boats are reputable per the Moon Guide on Peru and so we agreed. The trip onto the lake to the floating Uros islands (made of reeds) and on to Taquile island was wonderful and is a must see/experience.
The shopping in Puno is good, especially if you are looking for alpaca woolens. Some of them are unbelievably soft!
The hotel's price of 120 soles per night (about $44 US) was reasonable and the owner was pleasant and helpful. A fairly major negative though, was their advertising accepting Visa, American Express and Diners Club credit cards. We would love to have used ours Visa card, but when I went to pay, she said they don't accept them, because they charge "8 soles". That would have been a small price to pay to keep more of our cash available and I told her I didn't like the false advertising.
Also, a second negative was after we left, one of my daughters realized she left a small stuffed toy dog in her bed and though I emailed the hotel twice, offering to pay the shipping if they found it, they never responded to me.
In spite of the negatives, I would consider a stay here again, with better planning on carrying more cash.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family